Michael Pinckney signing

pinkfloydster

Liked Posts:
Another change I've noticed with Bears organization is that they used to solve positional gaps by getting a bunch of UDFAs at a particular spot and conducting a competition. Remember the whole kicker fiasco? None of them made it None. Remember all of the Bearsbad tight ends they had at one point? Again, none of them made it. Horsted is basicallyis on the practice squad and so he doesn't count.

Thankfully, we don't see those colossal wastes of time anymore. But they still need to fill in gaps because they've traded away a lot of picks. Seems like they are bringing in fewer but higher quality candidates.

That brings me to Michael Pinckney. Just signed. Firstly, he's an ILB. Something sorely sorely needed. Here's what's known. 4 year starter. Started as true freshman. And played very well. But his college career was flat after that. Turns out he had an undiagnosed hip injury his junior year. He had surgery last year. Presumably, he is well healed now. Because of the injury, he did not participate in the combine.

PFF had him highly graded after his sophomore year.

The odds that the Bears unearthed a gem is very very low...couple of percentage points. But this is the kind of guy that it's worth taking a chance.

Last edited:

wazzupi

Liked Posts:
I loved pickney at UM imo best linebacker of the trio that was hyped up.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
Another change I've noticed with Bears organization is that they used to solve positional gaps by getting a bunch of UDFAs at a particular spot and conducting a competition. Remember the whole kicker fiasco? None of them made it None. Remember all of the Bearsbad tight ends they had at one point? Again, none of them made it. Horsted is basicallyis on the practice squad and so he doesn't count.

Thankfully, we don't see those colossal wastes of time anymore. But they still need to fill in gaps because they've traded away a lot of picks. Seems like they are bringing in fewer but higher quality candidates.

That brings me to Michael Pinckney. Just signed. Firstly, he's an ILB. Something sorely sorely needed. Here's what's known. 4 year starter. Started as true freshman. And played very well. But his college career was flat after that. Turns out he had an undiagnosed hip injury his junior year. He had surgery last year. Presumably, he is well healed now. Because of the injury, he did not participate in the combine.

PFF had him highly graded after his sophomore year.

The odds that the Bears unearthed a gem is very very low...couple of percentage points. But this is the kind of guy that it's worth taking a chance.
The hall of fame is littered with UDFA players (or players that would have been UDFA players with the current 7 round draft).

Of course, the chance of landing one of them is extremely rare. It is like finding a lottery ticket in the middle of the street. You can't win without picking them up.

What is common is for every year finding one or more UDFAs going to the pro bowl. Yes, the pro bowl is a meaningless and unwatchable event where players are picked in a popularity contest sort of way. But consider that rookie UDFAs do not have the popularity of seasoned NFL players. They do not even have the hype of being a first round draft pick. This means that they had to have an amazing season to be elected as a pro bowler.

The Bears could use a player or two having amazing seasons as UDFA lottery tickets found on the street.

Phibbulous

Thread Killer
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Toronto Blue Jays
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Toronto Maple Leafs
  1. Michigan Wolverines
Also don't forget former Bear Christian Jones is now a Bear again.
Is Shea McClellin still in the league. Let’s get the band back together!!

Aquineas

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Is Shea McClellin still in the league. Let’s get the band back together!!
Not talking about starters, but there was some concern about interior linebacker and special teams depth after losing Nick "I can bang but don't you dare make me cover" Kwiatkowski.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Not talking about starters, but there was some concern about interior linebacker and special teams depth after losing Nick "I can bang but don't you dare make me cover" Kwiatkowski.
The minute the Bears let that extremely average guy go, half the people here touted him as Hall of Fame talent.

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:

Canth

Liked Posts:
There were less UDFA signed this year because the UDFA pool was significantly smaller this year. There just flat out less players that declared for the draft this year due to all the pandemic stuff and thinking they stood a better chance to play one more year of 'normal' college before doing into the draft.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Not only did we lose Kwiat but we also lost KPL last offseason so we took a nice hit at ILB.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
I had him as my 13th LB the year he was going to be drafted.