Miguel Alfredo Gonzalez Thread -- Dodgers Out

JosMin

Entirely too much tuna
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/9...rest-multiple-teams-sign-next-week-agent-says

Cuban sensation Miguel Alfredo Gonzalez could be pitching in the majors soon, his agent told ESPNdeportes.com.

Jaime Torres thinks his client can help a major league team this year and expects to have the right-hander signed by next week.

"I do not think it will happen this weekend," Torres told ESPNdeportes.com. "But, fortunately, I hope to have an agreement for next week. While the more interested clubs are making their last internal consultations, we are working on the visa process that [Gonzalez] will need to come to the United States."

The Los Angeles Dodgers, Chicago Cubs, New York Yankees, Boston Red Sox, Texas Rangers, Philadelphia Phillies, Toronto Blue Jays, Minnesota Twins and Miami Marlins are among the teams interested in the hard-throwing pitcher, a source close to Gonzalez told ESPNdeportes.com.

The source indicated that Minnesota and Miami are not among the favorites to sign Gonzalez, whose anticipated high salary demands have forced other teams to drop out of the bidding.

"[Gonzalez] could help a team this season," Torres told ESPNdeportes.com. "[He'd] only need to go to the minor leagues a couple of weeks and make a few [starts] before debuting in the major leagues. Some of the clubs more interested were evaluating him for a long time, way before he came out of Cuba."

Gonzalez, 26, left Cuba earlier this year and settled in Mexico, where he has worked out for major league teams. More than 60 scouts attended one of the tryouts in Tijuana.

Gonzalez was declared a free agent last month by Major League Baseball commissioner Bud Selig's office. Cuban players who are at least 23 years old and have played at least three seasons professionally are not subject to MLB's new international signing guidelines, so Gonzalez could end up in the majors this season.

"The parties agree on the importance of completing an agreement soon," Torres told ESPNdeportes.com. "So [Gonzalez] can help them this year, at the end of the season and possibly the playoffs, if the team makes it."

Anybody pumped? Maybe this could be our redemption for being outbid on Yu Darvish and Yoenis Cespedes.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Dodgers remain the favorites, but I want to get Gonzalez. Mid-20 something or younger, near major league ready starters with mid 90s stuff is a commodity we definitely need to add. I though think the odds are higher that the Cubs land the Gonzalez's Cuban National team teammate that is also a free agent.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Dodgers remain the favorites, but I want to get Gonzalez. Mid-20 something or younger, near major league ready starters with mid 90s stuff is a commodity we definitely need to add. I though think the odds are higher that the Cubs land the Gonzalez's Cuban National team teammate that is also a free agent.

The Dodger are going to throw a bazillion dollars at him and Magic is going to teach him how to bang ten white women at once. He is as good as theirs! Not being racist or anything. Truthfully, that's where I think he winds up and those reasons are going to be involved. lol

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:
The Dodger are going to throw a bazillion dollars at him and Magic is going to teach him how to bang ten white women at once. He is as good as theirs! Not being racist or anything. Truthfully, that's where I think he winds up and those reasons are going to be involved. lol

This would be where Theo could win over some fans by plucking the Cuban from the Dodgers. I think a lot of buzzzz would stem from a move like this. It isn't as if he is throwing a ton at the major league team.....might as well throw towards the minors.

X

When one letter is enough
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Miguel Alfredo Gonzalez

Dodgers apparently NOT bidding on him after all.

[h=1]Dodgers Unlikely To Pursue Miguel Alfredo Gonzalez[/h]
By Steve Adams [July 23 at 8:01am CST]

Despite a number of reports to the contrary, the Dodgers are not interested in Cuban right-hander Miguel Alfredo Gonzalez, reports Ken Gurnick of MLB.com. Gurnick writes that the Dodgers already have nearly $200MM committed to Zack Greinke, Hyun-Jin Ryu, Chad Billingsley and Josh Beckett already, and the Dodgers know it will take another $200MM or so to retain Clayton Kershaw. They'd also like former first-round picks Zach Lee and Chris Reed to have a shot at the rotation in the coming years.
Last night, reports said that Gonzalez has narrowed his options to five teams and could sign within the next few days. Recent reports have indicated that the Dodgers may be prepared to offer as much as a five-year, $50MM contract, but Gurnick refutes that thinking. Other teams with interest include the Cubs, Rangers, Red Sox, Phillies, Blue Jays, Braves, Twins, Yankees and Marlins.

JosMin

Entirely too much tuna
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:

X

When one letter is enough
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Last edited:

CSF77

Liked Posts:
It would not surprise me if he ends up a Cub.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:

You are ok with the supposive 60 plus million he is suppose to get?

CSF77

Liked Posts:
You are ok with the supposive 60 plus million he is suppose to get?

If Garza was asking 100 mil 60 mil seems like a bargain as a replacement. If he meets the hype.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
I would like to see the Cubs make a deal with him, within reason of course.

But he is not "Mid-20's". He is 26 in Cuban years, which is 28 or 29.