Missed Shots and Shots Blocked

phranchk

Liked Posts:
So I did some searching around on advanced stats sites to see if I could confirm what we all believed about who misses the most and who has the most shots blocked on the team. It was frustrating to see that while sites keep a Missed Shot and Shots Blocked stat, nobody keeps those as a percentage of their total shots (Total Shots = Corsi For). I imported some stats from extraskater.com and created it in my own excel spreadsheet.</p>

What I found, not surprisingly, Keith leads the team with highest percentage of shots blocked. Seabrook leads the team with the highest percentage of shots not reaching the net. Leddy leads all D-men by a lot for the % of his shots that make it on net.</p>

Toews leads all forwards with with 68% of his shots making it on goal (actually Handzus leads this category, but I'm not including him because he only has a Corsi For of 59, which is brutal).</p>

Patrick Kane has the highest Missed Shot % on the team (both as a percent of total shots taken and as a percent of Fenwick(shots + missed shots)). Bickell leads all forwards with lowest % of his shots making it on net.</p>

Most interestingly is Leddy. Not only does he lead the Hawks, but of D-men in the league with more than 100 shots on goal he leads the entire league with the highest percentage of his shots making it on goal.</p>

The table won't post in here accurately so I've included the link to the excel sheet on google drive. There's a link to "Sheet 2" at the bottom of the page that includes all the D-men in the league.</p>

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Aq06HGp0yACDdE9OZVRCWS1sMmxDVXBFVkhVVWRxYWc&usp=sharing</p>

phranchk

Liked Posts:
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="jakobeast" data-cid="223545" data-time="1394919927">
<div>

Math is hard.</p>
</div>
</blockquote>

That's why I let Excel do the calculations for me.</p>

Ton

Liked Posts:
Awesome research phranchk, do you mind if I use this (and properly credit you) in an article for the main page? I think most Hawks fans would find this interesting and that's the best place for exposing stuff like this.</p>

phranchk

Liked Posts:
Sure.</p>

If you know how to make a dynamic spreadsheet with data sources it would be great to have it autoupdate, but I don't know where you get the feed for those numbers. I thought I remember you had something that did that in the past.</p>

</p>

Edit: It appears you would need to likely pay for an XML Feed. Not sure the price. Saw someone quote $90 a year.</p>

Tater

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Cool stuff phranchk.</p>

But where do "Corsi For" and "percent of Fenwick" come from? Never heard of that.</p>

phranchk

Liked Posts:
Corsi is basically a fancy way of saying total shots. It's shots on goal+missed shots+blocked shots. Fenwick is shots on goal + missed shots. They're both stats used in a whole slew of advanced stats. One used a lot is Corsi For % which is basically a way to show how many shots you have vs how how many shots against while on the ice. Over 50% is good. Most Hawks skaters hover really close to 60%.

The names of those categories come from the creators of these categories.

Tater

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Thank you sir. I've never been good at researching the advanced stats.</p>

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Nicely done.</p>

mikita's helmet

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Grimsäläinen" data-cid="223603" data-time="1395072066">
<div>

Teravainen has zero missed shots in the NHL.</p>
</div>
</blockquote>

Shall we call him Mr. Zero till further notice?</p>

Tater

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Grimsäläinen" data-cid="223603" data-time="1395072066">
<div>

Teravainen has zero missed shots in the NHL.</p>
</div>
</blockquote>

</p>

Same here.</p>

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="phranchk" data-cid="223544" data-time="1394915062">
<div>

So I did some searching around on advanced stats sites to see if I could confirm what we all believed about who misses the most and who has the most shots blocked on the team. It was frustrating to see that while sites keep a Missed Shot and Shots Blocked stat, nobody keeps those as a percentage of their total shots (Total Shots = Corsi For). I imported some stats from extraskater.com and created it in my own excel spreadsheet.</p>

What I found, not surprisingly, Keith leads the team with highest percentage of shots blocked. Seabrook leads the team with the highest percentage of shots not reaching the net. Leddy leads all D-men by a lot for the % of his shots that make it on net.</p>

Toews leads all forwards with with 68% of his shots making it on goal (actually Handzus leads this category, but I'm not including him because he only has a Corsi For of 59, which is brutal).</p>

Patrick Kane has the highest Missed Shot % on the team (both as a percent of total shots taken and as a percent of Fenwick(shots + missed shots)). Bickell leads all forwards with lowest % of his shots making it on net.</p>

Most interestingly is Leddy. Not only does he lead the Hawks, but of D-men in the league with more than 100 shots on goal he leads the entire league with the highest percentage of his shots making it on goal.</p>

The table won't post in here accurately so I've included the link to the excel sheet on google drive. There's a link to "Sheet 2" at the bottom of the page that includes all the D-men in the league.</p>

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Aq06HGp0yACDdE9OZVRCWS1sMmxDVXBFVkhVVWRxYWc&usp=sharing</p>
</div>
</blockquote>

This is very cool... I'm a big fan of context with statistics and these hold a good deal of context with them so it's very cool to see. Thanks for posting.</p>

BiscuitintheBasket

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Nice analysis and honestly pretty telling, and letting me know I do not need a bifocals for my hockey eyes...yet.

puckjim

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="phranchk" data-cid="223550" data-time="1394975094">
<div>

Corsi is basically a fancy way of saying total shots. It's shots on goal+missed shots+blocked shots. Fenwick is shots on goal + missed shots. They're both stats used in a whole slew of advanced stats. One used a lot is Corsi For % which is basically a way to show how many shots you have vs how how many shots against while on the ice. Over 50% is good. Most Hawks skaters hover really close to 60%.

The names of those categories come from the creators of these categories.</p>
</div>
</blockquote>

See I thought Corsi was shots attempted by team vs. shots attempted against while player is on the ice, per 60 min. </p>

</p>

Example, Toews leads the Blackhawks at 21.9, while Ben Smith is a -1.71.</p>

</p>

"The Committed Indian" has a hockey sabermetrics page in every issue.</p>

</p>

But you could be trying to say the same thing.</p>

Spunky Porkstacker

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Tater" data-cid="223608" data-time="1395074041">
<div>

Same here.</p>
</div>
</blockquote>

</p>

Probably no missed shots at the bar either. :eek:bscene-sexualvlick:  :eek:bscene-drinkingchug:   Hi YOOO</p>

Tater

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
NICE!!!!</p>

And you are correct sir.</p>

phranchk

Liked Posts:
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="puckjim" data-cid="223659" data-time="1395149115">
<div>

See I thought Corsi was shots attempted by team vs. shots attempted against while player is on the ice, per 60 min. </p>

</p>

Example, Toews leads the Blackhawks at 21.9, while Ben Smith is a -1.71.</p>

</p>

"The Committed Indian" has a hockey sabermetrics page in every issue.</p>

</p>

But you could be trying to say the same thing.</p>
</div>
</blockquote>

I suppose my terminology is off slightly. Corsi  = shots on goal + missed shots + blocked shots. I believe the explanation in that article for the basic term Corsi is slightly off.  </p>

Corsi For is the same thing but all shots for your team while that player was on the ice. Sometimes called On-ice Corsi.</p>

Corsi Against is all shots by the opponent while on the ice.</p>

What she calls Corsi is actually Corsi Differential, which is the the number of total shots your team had while on the ice vs the total number of shots against your team while on the ice.</p>

Corsi For 60 is that number averaged over 60 minutes of ice time.</p>

I think there's some ambiguity in the terms. I've seen Corsi For mean just that players total shots.</p>

PatrickSharpRules

Liked Posts:
Sweet breakdown. </p>

</p>

I am very happy to see Leddy's greatness getting some recognition. I firmly believe that he will be a top 10-15 Dman in the NHL at some point in the next 5 or so years. </p>