Mitchell Trubisky's Turnaround

bearsfan1977

Liked Posts:
That is selling the offense short. They were by no means slouches. They may have been 20th ranked in passing but the offense overall was #2 in the league that season. Of course Walter was THE piece but by no means was he the entire offense.
Not trying to short McMahon his due at all. Like I said, I was a fan of his. But he wasn’t an elite QB. It was an elite team, led by the D and Walter.

Bust

Liked Posts:
This is such a huge game for the Bears franchise in so many ways. Haven't had a game of this magnitude in like forever.

Mitch outplays Rodgers, omfg Batman! Chicago turns Mitch into Broadway Joe overnight boys. He will become a legend. Franchise Savior. The People's Champion!

Last edited:

msadows

Liked Posts:
This is such a huge game for the Bears franchise in so many ways. Haven't had a game of this magnitude in like forever.

Mitch outplays Rodgers, omfg Batman! Chicago turns Mitch into Broadway Joe overnight boys. He will become a legend. Franchise Savior.

He already did that in 2018. Didn't mean shit.

Bust

Liked Posts:
This is for all the marbles. Higher stakes. Brighter Lights.

Mitch is about to become a legend

DeerBrinker34

Liked Posts:
Best option is tag Mitch because it's only a year. Sucks we have to do this but I don't see other options other than a losing season or getting very lucky in the draft. With pace and Nagy's jobs on the line next year, i think they'll try and stack the deck as best they can. They just better try and also secure a guy like Newman or Ridder in the draft.

As for Mitch, he's a good 1/2 field QB that still doesn't see under coverages or beyond the defender on his target and a poor risk/reward evaluator. I think he might actually be viable if he could get out of his own head. He'll make a few bonehead throws but those missed lobs bug me more because he has the ability to make those if he just lets it go without trying so hard to not miss, LOL. Kids head is an issue. I don't mind picks (not in the end zone please) if he makes enough plays. He has made enough the last few weeks but those misses will be a loss next week. If he makes those, we have a chance.

At $27 million? Your answer is to tag Mitchell Trubisky at roughly $27 million for one year which also means bye bye A-Rob, bye bye Hicks, Fuller and any free-agent who could immediately help this football team just to keep Trubisky? Yikes!

With all the knocks on Trubisky that you typed up yourself and you still want to give him $27 million??

msadows

Liked Posts:
At $27 million? Your answer is to tag Mitchell Trubisky at roughly $27 million for one year which also means bye bye A-Rob, bye bye Hicks, Fuller and any free-agent who could immediately help this football team just to keep Trubisky? Yikes!

With all the knocks on Trubisky that you typed up yourself and you still want to give him $27 million??

the franchise tag isn't 27m this year...its 24. Also, the better option would be the transition tag, which is only 21.5.

Id rather just give him a 2 year/30m deal tho. I'm sure he will get other offers but nothing serious. The nfl isn't stupid, they all have paid attention to mitches last 4 years, a few good games won't turn him into a 20m+ qb. Maybe I'm wrong, but I'd be shocked if he gets more than 10-15m. My guess is he gets a deal similar to marcus, but a little bit more cash(12-15m)

msadows

Liked Posts:
You can also afford both mitch/arob if you extend fuller, cut skrine/massie/graham. Fuller has a 20m cap hit, you could extend him for 2-3 more years(he deserves it, his game should transition well into his 30's since it's mostly tape/reaction based and not based on speed/strength).

If you can bring fullers cap hit down into the low teens's this year, and save a combined 18m or whatever for those 3 I listed, you have enough to sign those two dudes, especially if you decide to sign Arob to a long term deal in which you could make his cap hit lowe(14m or such) this year.

DeerBrinker34

Liked Posts:
the franchise tag isn't 27m this year...its 24. Also, the better option would be the transition tag, which is only 21.5.

Id rather just give him a 2 year/30m deal tho. I'm sure he will get other offers but nothing serious. The nfl isn't stupid, they all have paid attention to mitches last 4 years, a few good games won't turn him into a 20m+ qb. Maybe I'm wrong, but I'd be shocked if he gets more than 10-15m. My guess is he gets a deal similar to marcus, but a little bit more cash(12-15m)
My apologies. Substitute $24 million in place of $27 million in my post and it still doesn't make an ounce of sense to franchise or transition tag Trubisky.

Bust

Liked Posts:

Every team has tough choices to make due to the cap. Some team will offer Mitch 3 years and 20 million per in free agency. It's just how the QB market rolls.

Fuller is overpaid. Thank Robert Quinn's contract for HIcks leaving

msadows

Liked Posts:
Every team has tough choices to make due to the cap. Some team will offer Mitch 3 years and 20 million per in free agency. It's just how the QB market rolls.

Fuller is overpaid. Thank Robert Quinn's contract for HIcks leaving

I don't think fuller is overpaid at all. He's a fantastic cornerback and works very very hard at his craft. He's improved nearly every year he's been here. Not sure what more you want from him. His cap hit over the next two years averages out to the 11th highest amount CB's. Id say hes easily a top 10 cb in the league, if not top 5.

Bust

Liked Posts:
2021 Fuller is a 20 million dollar db

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
You can also afford both mitch/arob if you extend fuller, cut skrine/massie/graham. Fuller has a 20m cap hit, you could extend him for 2-3 more years(he deserves it, his game should transition well into his 30's since it's mostly tape/reaction based and not based on speed/strength).

If you can bring fullers cap hit down into the low teens's this year, and save a combined 18m or whatever for those 3 I listed, you have enough to sign those two dudes, especially if you decide to sign Arob to a long term deal in which you could make his cap hit lowe(14m or such) this year.

If you cut Skrine, Massie and Graham and extend Fuller that only gets you to about 20 million in cap space with a projected cap of 175m. So not enough for 4M and ARob. You need to cut more people or hope the cap is higher than 175 million.

Even if we make it 195 million then that could get you 4M and ARob but then you pretty much have like 5-10 million left to sign 20 more players including your draft class. Even at minimum salary for everyone that isn't enough money.

Bust

Liked Posts:
Patterson will become a free agent as well. That's another 5+ million off the books.

Bears will need to find room to sign Santos. He picked a right time to hit free agency. Vikings would love to take him off a division rival. Their guy missed 7 kicks at the stretch that cost them a potential playoff birth.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Patterson will become a free agent as well. That's another 5+ million off the books.

Bears will need to find room to sign Santos. He picked a right time to hit free agency. Vikings would love to take him off a division rival. Their guy missed 7 kicks at the stretch that cost them a potential playoff birth.

FA agents are not counted in the 2021 cap numbers so the 5 million is already excluded for and we are still over the 176m projected cap.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
Right before the snap, the safety covering Graham retreats into a single high position. This puts the responsibility of covering Graham on the LB Myles Jack. The other safety rotates underneath to cover Anthony Miller, who is lined up inside of Robinson.

Be9ZPLo_d.jpg

At the snap, Nagy sends Miller across the line of scrimmage. This motion confuses the defense and they make a critical mistake. Instead of following Miller across the field, the safety signals the LB Jack to take over the coverage of Miller.

4q6PrwF_d.jpg

This leaves Graham completely unguarded...

ClosedPlainIcelandichorse-size_restricted.gif
I think he’s open regardless. Great play design/route concept.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

I'm hoping we don't have to and can sign him to a prove it deal. Lots will have to do with how strong the front office considers his market interest. You could allow him into FA and sign him for less per year but possibly similar guaranteed. He could then also give us the finger.

The next game(s) may play into that. I your scenario, the options would be Foles plus AR running a Nagy O or Trubs without AR running this one. Truth is that Mitch and AR are not mutually exclusive and that AR may not choose to return with Foles as his QB anyway. He certainly exhibited plenty of frustration during games with Foles at the helm.

Contracts can always be worked to allow 1 year of cap room.

EDPeezy

Liked Posts:
I have said in other posts unless the cap doesn't decline by as much as projected. I don't think I need to put that caveat in every single post as I assume people are smart enough to figure that out. See below thread as an example.

And the overall point is not that we are fucked cap wise. The overall point is any cap should be spent on long term solutions to this team not a one year stop gap QB. If the cap is 195 million then my response to that would be to invest even more money in improving the OL, and WRs for a future franchise QB. Not spend it on 4M. In that scenario, it would main signing ARob not 4M.

I wouldn’t call these lies. But you’re definitely being disingenuous. You constantly speak in these absolutes as if it’s set in stone that the cap is 175 million and because of that the Bears are screwed. im sure out of those 5000 times you’ve brought it up once or twice you’ve also mentioned the cap could change. But 99% of the time you act as if the situation isn’t fluid. It’s funny how you’re like “I assume people are smart enough to figure that out.” Lol. 99.9% of people know nothing about the cap. Much less specific details about how the projections for next season are higher than we see out there. When you’re in here like “the bears are screwed.“ And all your projections are based off the cap being 175 million pretty much everybody here is going to take your word for it. lol at this bullshit “i assumed people are smart enough to figure that out.” Yeah, because nfl cap specifics are just common knowledge amongst people. Who doesn’t keep up with that sort of stuff?

And if the Bears bring Mitch back the idea won’t be that he’s being signed as some one year stop gap. That’s you projecting what you want to happen because in your head you still want some new shiny QB and it’s looking as if Mitch may be back. So you’ve conjured up this unrealistic scenario where Mitch signs back with the Bears on some one year backup deal money wise and they draft your new shiny QB who replaces Mitch week 8. Lol. You realize if the Bears bring Mitch back it won’t be under the idea that he’s some one year stop gap? He may eventually flame out and be gone after he plays a season under the franchise tag. The Bears aren’t bringing him back under the circumstances you’ve described though. And more importantly why the hell would Trubisky or his agent sign with Chicago knowing that? This unrealistic scenario only exists in your head.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I wouldn’t call these lies. But you’re definitely being disingenuous. You constantly speak in these absolutes as if it’s set in stone that the cap is 175 million and because of that the Bears are screwed. im sure out of those 5000 times you’ve brought it up once or twice you’ve also mentioned the cap could change. But 99% of the time you act as if the situation isn’t fluid. It’s funny how you’re like “I assume people are smart enough to figure that out.” Lol. 99.9% of people know nothing about the cap. Much less specific details about how the projections for next season are higher than we see out there. When you’re in here like “the bears are screwed.“ And all your projections are based off the cap being 175 million pretty much everybody here is going to take your word for it. lol at this bullshit “i assumed people are smart enough to figure that out.” Yeah, because nfl cap specifics are just common knowledge amongst people. Who doesn’t keep up with that sort of stuff?

And if the Bears bring Mitch back the idea won’t be that he’s being signed as some one year stop gap. That’s you projecting what you want to happen because in your head you still want some new shiny QB and it’s looking as if Mitch may be back. So you’ve conjured up this unrealistic scenario where Mitch signs back with the Bears on some one year backup deal money wise and they draft your new shiny QB who replaces Mitch week 8. Lol. You realize if the Bears bring Mitch back it won’t be under the idea that he’s some one year stop gap? He may eventually flame out and be gone after he plays a season under the franchise tag. The Bears aren’t bringing him back under the circumstances you’ve described though. And more importantly why the hell would Trubisky or his agent sign with Chicago knowing that? This unrealistic scenario only exists in your head.

So goalposts have moved. You went from claiming I never mention it to now saying my mentioning it isnt enough for you. Sorry I dont tailor my posts to suit your informational needs. I have no need to say it each and every time and you have been provided evidence that your original claim is wrong. That thread is also on the front page so it is not like this is buried somewhere.

2nd, I mention 4M as a 1 year stop gap because virtually everyone who I have had this debate with has not claimed he is the long term answer. I have already said to people like WCBF that if they think 4M is the future of the Bears then I can understand wanting to sign him.

So the problem here is there are tons of posts and conversations in multiple threads that you apparently did not read and you are coming here making assumptions about things instead of just asking as if I am obligated to express rhe totality of my thoughts in each and every post.

You could easily have asked the basis for my cap numbers or why I keep referring to 4M as a stopgap but instead you chose to make assumptions from a position of ignorance.

Here is the thread where I saying signing 4M makes sense if you view him as a long term solution. But again most were not claiming he was. So you have been proven wrong again but I am sure you will move the goalposts further.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
My apologies. Substitute $24 million in place of $27 million in my post and it still doesn't make an ounce of sense to franchise or transition tag Trubisky.
Also, what would you do? Try to sign Mitch or not and what if he tells you he's looking for a multi year deal on the market, one that will have more guaranteed money than a tag? I'm not a Mitch hater or fanboi but I want what's best for the team and in my mind, that's finding some way to keep him around for a year or 2 while drafting QB(s) with potential to develop. Guys like Newman or Ridder.

I mean, it's easy to bitch about stuff but kinda useless without alternatives. Like I said, How he performs on Sunday may have a lot to do with his value so lots is still up in the air about what will be needed but one of those needs is likely to have him back next year and yes, that sucks because this could just be a lucky streak. Not much in the way of options.

msadows

Liked Posts:
Also, what would you do? Try to sign Mitch or not and what if he tells you he's looking for a multi year deal on the market, one that will have more guaranteed money than a tag? I'm not a Mitch hater or fanboi but I want what's best for the team and in my mind, that's finding some way to keep him around for a year or 2 while drafting QB(s) with potential to develop. Guys like Newman or Ridder.

I mean, it's easy to bitch about stuff but kinda useless without alternatives. Like I said, How he performs on Sunday may have a lot to do with his value so lots is still up in the air about what will be needed but one of those needs is likely to have him back next year and yes, that sucks because this could just be a lucky streak. Not much in the way of options.

I mean, it might not be up to mitch.

WE have no idea how high or low his market will be. If the bears are one of the few teams offering him a starting job he kind of has to take it.