Mitchell Trubisky's Turnaround

DeerBrinker34

Liked Posts:
Also, what would you do? Try to sign Mitch or not and what if he tells you he's looking for a multi year deal on the market, one that will have more guaranteed money than a tag? I'm not a Mitch hater or fanboi but I want what's best for the team and in my mind, that's finding some way to keep him around for a year or 2 while drafting QB(s) with potential to develop. Guys like Newman or Ridder.

I mean, it's easy to bitch about stuff but kinda useless without alternatives. Like I said, How he performs on Sunday may have a lot to do with his value so lots is still up in the air about what will be needed but one of those needs is likely to have him back next year and yes, that sucks because this could just be a lucky streak. Not much in the way of options.

What would I do? Based on the fact that Trubisky CLEARLY isn't the long term answer and he isn't worth franchise or transition tag type of money, I let him walk. Four seasons waiting for him to turn it around and fix what he's awful at doing (reading defenses, accuracy, footwork, etc) and he's made almost zero improvements in those areas even after a benching. Let's not forget that Trubisky's reemergence this season is based on playing against some of the most pathetic defenses in the league during this little run that's prompted the "we should give him $20+ million to keep him" chatter from some Bears fans. The last thing Chicago needs is a Blake Bortles type of situation.

After that I use the money saved from not re-signing Trubisky to bolster the O-line while signing a free-agent QB like a Brissett or Fitzpatrick or Dalton to hold down the position for a year or two while I scour the draft searching for the long-term solution.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I mean, it might not be up to mitch.

WE have no idea how high or low his market will be. If the bears are one of the few teams offering him a starting job he kind of has to take it.
No one does right now. Point was, do you let him walk if it takes a tag to secure him?

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
What would I do? Based on the fact that Trubisky CLEARLY isn't the long term answer and he isn't worth franchise or transition tag type of money, I let him walk. Four seasons waiting for him to turn it around and fix what he's awful at doing (reading defenses, accuracy, footwork, etc) and he's made almost zero improvements in those areas even after a benching. Let's not forget that Trubisky's reemergence this season is based on playing against some of the most pathetic defenses in the league during this little run that's prompted the "we should give him $20+ million to keep him" chatter from some Bears fans. The last thing Chicago needs is a Blake Bortles type of situation.

After that I use the money saved from not re-signing Trubisky to bolster the O-line while signing a free-agent QB like a Brissett or Fitzpatrick or Dalton to hold down the position for a year or two while I scour the draft searching for the long-term solution.
Are those backups better than Foles? Mitch? Are we wasting the D by not having the best option here? Mitch is currently playing better than any of your options. Question becomes whether it's a blip and Sunday may tell us more.

And you are completely ignoring the Bear's current situation, which is why I made the point in the 1st place and it's a huge factor. Pace an Nagy are gone without a successful 2021. No way this regime goes without their best option starting at QB.

Blake Bortles got a high priced multi year extension. This is nothing like that and no one has suggesting doing anything like that. The way you may need him on the books for a while is by competing for him in FA.

Too many unknowns right now. The point was that I bet this regime is willing to tag him before letting him walk. I'd also rather they don't need to and hope that's the case.

Last edited:

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I think the issue though Bearly is Pace and Nagy are not necessarily in position to think about what is best long term for this team. As you noted, they are gone without a good 2021 (I would prefer they were gone this year but that is a separate topic) so one must ask is a desire to bring back 4M the best long term solution or simply a short term attempt to save their skins.

Unless one is convinced 4M can lead us to the Super Bowl with very little reinforcements outside of the draft, all we are doing in keeping him is delaying the inevitable and wrecking our draft position in the process.

This feels more like the tail end of the Lovie years to me where we just hover around 7-10 wins but never reach a point where we are serious SB contenders.

msadows

Liked Posts:
No one does right now. Point was, do you let him walk if it takes a tag to secure him?

Possibly, all depends on what happens this week and/if we get into the playoffs.

If he wins us the game and gets us into the playoffs this week I can't see how you don't heavily consider the tag. I heavily doubt it happens tho.

msadows

Liked Posts:
I think the issue though Bearly is Pace and Nagy are not necessarily in position to think about what is best long term for this team. As you noted, they are gone without a good 2021 (I would prefer they were gone this year but that is a separate topic) so one must ask is a desire to bring back 4M the best long term solution or simply a short term attempt to save their skins.

Unless one is convinced 4M can lead us to the Super Bowl with very little reinforcements outside of the draft, all we are doing in keeping him is delaying the inevitable and wrecking our draft position in the process.

This feels more like the tail end of the Lovie years to me where we just hover around 7-10 wins but never reach a point where we are serious SB contenders.

Or they can start foles and guarantee they lose their jobs.

Smart.

DeerBrinker34

Liked Posts:
Are those backups better than Foles? Mitch? Are we wasting the D by not having the best option here? Mitch is currently playing better than any of your options. Question becomes whether it's a blip and Sunday may tell us more.

And you are completely ignoring the Bear's current situation, which is why I made the point in the 1st place and it's a huge factor. Pace an Nagy are gone without a successful 2021. No way this regime goes without their best option starting at QB.

Blake Bortles got a high priced multi year extension. This is nothing like that and no one has suggesting doing anything like that. The way you may need him on the books for a while is by competing for him in FA.

Too many unknowns right now. The point was that I bet this regime is willing to tag him before letting him walk. I'd also rather they don't need to and hope that's the case.
The D has already been wasted, sadly. They've performed like a unit full of bottom dwellers for the last month or two. Unfortunately the window has closed for them.

Is Fitzpatrick better than Trubisky or Foles? Yes. Even at 38 years old, he's still a better QB. Not great by any stretch, but solid nonetheless.

Is Dalton? Not better but similar and if it comes to signing Trubisky long-term or tagging him, then I'd just roll with Dalton short-term for less money.

Brissett? I'd say he's similar to Trubisky without the accuracy issues on the deep ball.

I know he's under contract but Foles presence on the roster should have no bearing on any QB decision Chicago makes in 2021. If I was GM, I'd go into 2021 with the mindset that Foles is the #3, but that's just me I guess. Just wanted to throw that out there.

I have nothing against Trubisky. I was rooting for the guy for three seasons but he just showed zero growth in the areas he struggles badly which is why I'd let him walk in favor of a veteran free-agent.

But really, none of this matters. Knowing Chicago, they will probably extend Trubisky 3-4 years at $20+ million per, draft a QB in the 5th-7th round range in 2022 and then bury said rookie behind Trubisky and Foles on the depth chart before releasing said rookie a year later in favor of a Foles 4 year extension lol.

Go Bears!

Last edited:

msadows

Liked Posts:
The D has already been wasted, sadly. They've performed like a unit full of bottom dwellers for the last month or two. Unfortunately the window has closed for them.

Is Fitzpatrick better than Trubisky or Foles? Yes. Even at 38 years old, he's still a better QB. Not great by any stretch, but solid nonetheless.

Is Dalton? Not better but similar and if it comes to signing Trubisky long-term or giving a similarly talented QB less years and less money then I'd roll with Dalton.

Brissett? I'd say he's similar to Trubisky without the accuracy issues on the deep ball.

I know he's under contract but Foles presence on the roster should have no bearing on any QB decision Chicago makes in 2021. If I was GM, I'd go into 2021 with the mindset that Foles is the #3, but that's just me I guess. Just wanted to throw that out there.

I have nothing against Trubisky. I was rooting for the guy for three seasons but he just showed zero growth in the areas he struggles badly which is why I'd let him walk in favor of a veteran free-agent.

But really, none of this matters. Knowing Chicago, they will probably extend Trubisky 3-4 years at $20+ million per, draft a QB in the 5th-7th round range and then bury said rookie behind Trubisky and Foles on the depth chart before releasing said rookie a year later in favor of a Foles 4 year extension lol.

Go Bears!

I don't agree with you on fitz. He's been a loser everywhere he goes.

Dalton is worse, Brissett is worse.

There really are no QB's in FA. The only upgrade, possibly, would be to trade for darnold. Im not so sure he's an upgrade either.

msadows

Liked Posts:
Thing is they are basically stuck.

This defense has a couple years max left in it before it becomes bad.

This offense finally has some talent building up.

There is no qb outside of mitch in FA.

They can't start foles because he doesn't fit the scheme of the talent around him.

They played their way out of drafting one of the top 4 QB's, which imo, are the only legit prospects in this draft. Sure, I'd love trask/jones/newman, but I don't think either of them will be ready to perform well until the defense is done.

We're in limbo. It was always going to be this way the moment they made that mack trade. Our hopes always rested on mitch, him failing pretty much closes the window.

Now you either have to decide if you want to rebuild or continue on. Zero chance nagy/pace take the rebuild option since their jobs are on the line.

Briggs is GOAT

Liked Posts:
Wait a minute what was this stuff I was hearing about the cap being 195 million? Was that bullshit or what?

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Wait a minute what was this stuff I was hearing about the cap being 195 million? Was that bullshit or what?

Nothing official. The floor has been set at 175 million which is what all the cap sites are currently using but some are saying it could as high as about 195 million or so once the final numbers are in from this year.

msadows

Liked Posts:
Also, any QB who they draft shouldn't be forced to play behind this oline until it is at least average.

So, once again, remy, you are saying you just want to tank the season away with Nick Foles?

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Yea? What qb, since you already said you don't like trask.

I already told you I would trade up and get one of the top QBs.

Also, any QB who they draft shouldn't be forced to play behind this oline until it is at least average.

So, once again, remy, you are saying you just want to tank the season away with Nick Foles?

I already told you the 15m you want to spend on 4M, I can use to sign an OL. I would then draft another one in the 2nd round.

Like do you actually want to have a serious conversation or do you wish to just troll because of past disagreements. I have already told you this multiple times.

Briggs is GOAT

Liked Posts:
Nothing official. The floor has been set at 175 million which is what all the cap sites are currently using but some are saying it could as high as about 195 million or so once the final numbers are in from this year.
If it were 195 million would that be a significant help?

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Or they can draft a QB and move on.
Definitely that but they aren't sacrificing their jobs over it. They absolutely need to draft somebody in the 1st 3 rounds.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
If it were 195 million would that be a significant help?

Let's use a simple example. If the Niners want to move on from JG, they can cut him and create 24 million in cap space in that one move. Their cap then goes from 23 million to 47 million. Now let's say they decide that 4M can run the play action and bootleg offense they run. They can easily outbid us for 4M if we don't franchise him. They have a better team on paper and can offer him a starting gig throwing to Kittle, Aiyuk and Samuel and with a superior run game.

Other teams looking for a starting QB with a ton more cap space than us and unlikely to be in position to draft a top QB are WFT, Patriots, and the Bucs (depending on what happens with Brady). Any of them could easily give 4M a modest 2 year deal at say 20 million without doing much damage to their cap long term. Would 4M pass that up to play for the Bears? Especially when the Bears will have to cut more guys to make him fit while those other teams can sign 4M plus still have money left over to sign more guys. And all those teams are arguably more talented than the Bears outside of maybe the Pats who have BB as a draw.

If we then decide to franchise 4M, then our negative 10.7 million in cap space goes to negative 34.7 million in cap space so again you looking at a ton of moves to get him to fit. Even if the cap were to be say 195 million and not 175 million then we would still be short 14.7 million if we franchise 4M. So you are going to have to cut and restructure a few more people than just the usual suspects especially if you also want to spend 18 million on ARob.

The problem for the Bears is not simply their own cap space but the fact they have one of the lowest cap numbers in the NFL.

P.S. Look at the Effective Cap Space column as that assumes signing rookies and filling out a 51 man roster with minimum salary guys. So the Bears have negative -10.7m under those assumptions based on a 176m cap.

Briggs is GOAT

Liked Posts:

Let's use a simple example. If the Niners want to move on from JG, they can cut him and create 24 million in cap space in that one move. Their cap then goes from 23 million to 47 million. Now let's say they decide that 4M can run the play action and bootleg offense they run. They can easily outbid us for 4M if we don't franchise him. They have a better team on paper and can offer him a starting gig throwing to Kittle, Aiyuk and Samuel and with a superior run game.

Other teams looking for a starting QB with a ton more cap space than us and unlikely to be in position to draft a top QB are WFT, Patriots, and the Bucs (depending on what happens with Brady). Any of them could easily give 4M a modest 2 year deal at say 20 million without doing much damage to their cap long term. Would 4M pass that up to play for the Bears? Especially when the Bears will have to cut more guys to make him fit while those other teams can sign 4M plus still have money left over to sign more guys. And all those teams are arguably more talented than the Bears outside of maybe the Pats who have BB as a draw.

If we then decide to franchise 4M, then our negative 10.7 million in cap space goes to negative 34.7 million in cap space so again you looking at a ton of moves to get him to fit. Even if the cap were to be say 195 million and not 175 million then we would still be short 14.7 million if we franchise 4M. So you are going to have to cut and restructure a few more people than just the usual suspects especially if you also want to spend 18 million on ARob.

The problem for the Bears is not simply their own cap space but the fact they have one of the lowest cap numbers in the NFL.
Makes sense, but I get the feeling that Mitch would come back cheap to play with the Bears again. That's based on nothing other than my own assessment of how Trubisky feels about the Bears lol, he just seems like that type of guy to me. If him coming back for real cheap (on a prove it sort of deal) would make it easier for the Bears to bring back ARob, then I think that would also make it more likely for him to do so.

I think SF would be the perfect landing spot for him, and if they cut Jimmy and want him then it would be totally idiotic for him to turn that down (especially since he would get more money and have the great George Kittle + a potent running game).

HOWEVER, and this outweighs everything that I just said in this post: This discussion is not nearly as developed as it will be after Sunday. There are lots of realistic outcomes that could radically sway lots of opinions (including my own) depending on how Sunday/the rest of the season goes (if the season extends beyond Sunday). If Mitch shits it up like 5 weeks ago and the Bears lose I wouldn't at all care to bring him back, and would shift my focus to bringing ARob back. If Mitch plays well and the Bears win I'll be more intrigued about bringing him back (but how he plays in the PS would play large in my opinion of what to do with him too).

Essentially I agree with you right now, but this discussion, in my opinion, is premature at the moment.