MLBTR: Cubs Top 50 FA Signing Predictions

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
Could someone please explain the infatuation with Austin Jackson? 55 lifetime HRs and 884 SOs.....he has the strike out numbers of a guy that should have about 5 times as many HRs as he does. Do the Cubs really need this type of player?

Unless he's your 4th OF absolutely not and he is going to get paid like a starter. He doesn't work as a replacement to Fowler in OBP, contact and power not to mention that he's not a leadoff hitter. Non starter for me.

DanTown

Liked Posts:
Could someone please explain the infatuation with Austin Jackson? 55 lifetime HRs and 884 SOs.....he has the strike out numbers of a guy that should have about 5 times as many HRs as he does. Do the Cubs really need this type of player?

Yeah, he's a fantastic defensive CF and if you replace the lead-off hitter that Fowler was, getting Jackson on a one/two year deal isn't a bad alternative. Teams will start a lot worse 8/9 hitters than Austin Jackson. And I'll be honest, I like Span as a replacement for Fowler since he's a OBP/non-SO guy but Jackson might cost a hell of a lot less money. I know he's a SO guy but his ability to defend will help if the Cubs decide to keep guys like Schwarber in LF.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Cubs have a higher need for a lead off than a CF. They could just put Baez to work this off season out there as he has no spot. I doubt he would turn down playing time at all. But that doesn't fix the lead off issue either. Now with them thinking of Russell as the lead off I question that solution. His SO ratio I'm in doubt of it add to it his speed is lower than Baez's.

At the end of the day, looking at the line up as it stands the only guy that could project into that role is Rizzo.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
At the end of the day, looking at the line up as it stands the only guy that could project into that role is Rizzo.

That is absolutely right. I said this to someone over the weekend who laughed at me but assuming no trades were made Rizzo, Soler, Bryant, Schwarber makes the most sense given current inventory.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
That is absolutely right. I said this to someone over the weekend who laughed at me but assuming no trades were made Rizzo, Soler, Bryant, Schwarber makes the most sense given current inventory.

Status Que: Rizzo 1B, Soler RF, Schwarber LF, Bryant 3B, Montero C, Baez CF, Castro 2B, Pitcher, Russell SS. You could flip Schwarber and Bryant if needed. Both should put up 30+ to 40 HR. Baez should push 30. They could also flip Montero and Baez also. Depending on how well Baez does in a starting role.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
So, among the ideas that at least one person here has said he is on board for......

Signing a 37 year old Lackey for $50Million.
Signing Span, who "may be better defensively than Fowler".
Signing Fowler for 4 years $48 million.

Yikes!!!

Just because FA started does not mean we have to see how fast we can make a terrible signing. All three of those contracts would be terrible.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
And Rizzo as lead off?

Some great moves projected here.

And "Baez has no spot" LMAO.