Mock Draft Question

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
You didn't mention how you would be graded in the your email draft, so i'm assuming there isn't a winner.

That being said, I think you were right the first time in your mock draft. Paxton Lynch would be the best Bears value pick at 11.

Buckner is a bonafide top pick in this draft, but he has high pad level, and often enough gets knocked out position, and was snuffed against Jack Conklin. I wonder about him at the next level. Naturally, has some developing to do.

Here's an interesting deep analysis on Buckner: http://sportsday.dallasnews.com/dal...le-series-oregons-deforest-buckner-fit-dallas

I don't think the 3rd best QB in a non-elite QB draft is a great value pick at 11.

As for Buckner, I think that's a pretty good description of him. But he does have tremendous upside. He put up big numbers this year, including a couple games over 100 snaps played. So the motor is there. So also is the snaps where he plays to high. Naturally being 6'7" that's going to happen and gets worse as he gets tired. But it's also not as big of an issue as it is for others with that type of length to keep blockers away from his body.

One thing I will disagree with is I think he has the ability to play some 3 technique. He could easily get to 300-305 and I'd be excited to see him 1 gap with that length. I don't think he'd have to be a 4-3 DE.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
Man...it would take a lot of convincing for me to like Lynch at 11 over many of the defensive players in this draft. Lynch certainly has upside, but I'm not sure he's worth the risk at that point.

Instead of the last 2 years where the Bears lost out on Donald and Williams, I think this is the year a top defensive guy like that falls to them and they take advantage.

For me personally, Lynch or Wentz would be a worse case scenario at 11.
I hear ya. I coveted Donald day one.

I know a QB like Lynch doesn't seem to be as good or important as the other non-QB prospects -- especially with Cutler playing his best year, and still under contract thru '17...

But you have to understand, you can't buy a franchise QB in FA today. You can't. I won't bore with the stats, but aprx 90% of the time a franchise QB is at the top of the draft, and it's a very rare the Bears get this chance.

Any draft QB is a risk, and should be developed properly and not thrown to the wolves where damage can be irreversible -- you want to follow the Farve-to-Rogers model, not the Matt Leinart & RG3.

Cutler is 32, has never taken the next step, OC Gase is gone, but we have Cuter, perhaps another 2 yrs. Now is the perfect time to draft & develop a top QB prospect. And guess what? We have the 11th pick where one of Wentz, Goff or Lynch may drop. How stupid would Pace have to be to pass on one?

Liked Posts:
I hear ya. I coveted Donald day one.

I know a QB like Lynch doesn't seem to be as good or important as the other non-QB prospects -- especially with Cutler playing his best year, and still under contract thru '17...

But you have to understand, you can't buy a franchise QB in FA today. You can't. I won't bore with the stats, but aprx 90% of the time a franchise QB is at the top of the draft, and it's a very rare the Bears get this chance.

Any draft QB is a risk, and should be developed properly and not thrown to the wolves where damage can be irreversible -- you want to follow the Farve-to-Rogers model, not the Matt Leinart & RG3.

Cutler is 32, has never taken the next step, OC Gase is gone, but we have Cuter, perhaps another 2 yrs. Now is the perfect time to draft & develop a top QB prospect. And guess what? We have the 11th pick where one of Wentz, Goff or Lynch may drop. How stupid would Pace have to be to pass on one?

Completely agree. Just not convinced Lynch is the guy to do that with, but I can definitely see where others do.

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
Completely agree. Just not convinced Lynch is the guy to do that with, but I can definitely see where others do.

You have to take your shots. If you don't take the good risks avl, you can be in deep trouble a long, long time.

Lynch is 6'7" 245lbs who can make all the throws, no character concerns, a quick release, above avg pocket awareness and scrambling ability, a calm and good decision maker (only 4 int), a field leader. And as all, needs some development.

"Just not convinced Lynch is the guy"?... what, do want to see some other color options? :p

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
You didn't mention how you would be graded in the your email draft, so i'm assuming there isn't a winner.

That being said, I think you were right the first time in your mock draft. Paxton Lynch would be the best Bears value pick at 11.

Buckner is a bonafide top pick in this draft, but he has high pad level, and often enough gets knocked out position, and was snuffed against Jack Conklin. I wonder about him at the next level. Naturally, has some developing to do.

Here's an interesting deep analysis on Buckner: http://sportsday.dallasnews.com/dal...le-series-oregons-deforest-buckner-fit-dallas

Sorry there is no grading system.

I have to pick on Tuesday, I am leaning Hargreaves he seems to be the highest ranked player available to me. None of the DL jump out at me.

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
I don't think the 3rd best QB in a non-elite QB draft is a great value pick at 11.

As for Buckner, I think that's a pretty good description of him. But he does have tremendous upside. He put up big numbers this year, including a couple games over 100 snaps played. So the motor is there. So also is the snaps where he plays to high. Naturally being 6'7" that's going to happen and gets worse as he gets tired. But it's also not as big of an issue as it is for others with that type of length to keep blockers away from his body.

One thing I will disagree with is I think he has the ability to play some 3 technique. He could easily get to 300-305 and I'd be excited to see him 1 gap with that length. I don't think he'd have to be a 4-3 DE.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Very true. He's an excellent 1st pick for 3-4 team this draft. He looks like he can add some bulk, and should, especially considering he hasn't shown outside-rush ability, but needs a bit more lower body stoutness.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
You have to take your shots. If you don't take the good risks avl, you can be in deep trouble a long, long time.

Lynch is 6'7" 245lbs who can make all the throws, no character concerns, a quick release, above avg pocket awareness and scrambling ability, a calm and good decision maker (only 4 int), a field leader. And as all, needs some development.

"Just not convinced Lynch is the guy"?... what, do want to see some other color options? :p

I took Lynch in the first one we did in January.

I ended up with

Lynch
NT Austin Johnson
LB Scooby Wright

Liked Posts:

Lol I just prefer other guys and would actually rather take a flier on someone like Hogan later in the draft than Lynch in the first. If Goff fell, my position would change. I like Wentz a little more as well, but am hesitant with him also. Give me Hogan or Jones later in the draft and I'm down.

As of right now I like some of the guys for next year's draft as well like Kaaya and Watson.

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
Sorry there is no grading system.

I have to pick on Tuesday, I am leaning Hargreaves he seems to be the highest ranked player available to me. None of the DL jump out at me.

Hargreaves seems like a sure-fire success. He's not your perfect CB, with the 5'11", 34 vert, but good 4.45 speed and has everything else, especially quickness, smarts, instinct, character and will likely keep improving.

Just curious, what made you change your mind on a Lynch pick?

I took Lynch in the first one we did in January.

I ended up with

Lynch
NT Austin Johnson
LB Scooby Wright

Oh, got ya -- just exploring other options?

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
The Pick

CB Vernon Hargreaves III [Florida] 5'10" 200lbs.

He may not have elite size, but he is an elite man cover CB who has started in the SEC since his freshman season. He has the man to man ability that the Bears demand, and great defenses have multiple CBs that can play. There will be a ripple effect as the Bears will improve in all levels of the CB position as Porter can kick inside of the NB spot.

vernon_13647906_8col.jpg

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Hargreaves seems like a sure-fire success. He's not your perfect CB, with the 5'11", 34 vert, but good 4.45 speed and has everything else, especially quickness, smarts, instinct, character and will likely keep improving.

Just curious, what made you change your mind on a Lynch pick?

Oh, got ya -- just exploring other options?

Just exploring other options.

I don't know if the Bears will pull the trigger on a QB, in fact unless Wentz falls I would be surprised.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
Good pick. I feel like we're all overthinking on Hargreaves (myself included). We all cited his size, but this dude is basically a slightly better version of Janoris Jenkins, without the off-field stuff coming into the draft. If Hargreaves turns out to be that good.....he's a great pick at 11.

Rocky Marciano

Liked Posts:
With what is available on the board, Vernon is a 'no brainer'. He's a better overall CB than any other player in this draft (including Ramsey if you consider him a CB).