Mock Offseason: FA signings and a trade

dentfan

No gods! No Masters!
Liked Posts:
My mock draft is here.

These are the signings that allow for my mock draft to happen and for us to become very competitive next year.
Star: These players require an opposing team to game for them. They must be stopped. A team is built around their prowess.

DT D’Ron Payne 4/72 We get our 3tech to wreck shit.

WLB Tremaine Edmunds 3/48 His athleticism alone is what made him a first-round draft pick. Guess who learned to cover? We put him at WLB and let him attack with Sanborn playing the same kind of clean up role that he played back in Death Row at Wisconsin.

DE Jadaveon Clowney 1/7.5 He's a nice 1-year rental that allows for us to have a good rotation with Davenport, thereby, allowing Davenport to stay healthy and heal from whatever shit he is injured with or may get injured with. We pay him a bit less than the Browns did. If he sticks around, he sticks around, and, if not, GTFO.

WR Keenan Allen (trade Khalil Herbert) 2/33.6 (This is what is left of his contract, but the second year is an out, so we are really paying for 1 year and can re-sign him should he ball the fuck out.) What? Why the fuck would the Chargers trade Keenan Allen to the Bears for a backup RB? It’s a basic salary dump. They have a bit more than 3 mil in space. Allen has been hurt all the time. We have space and don’t need a fast RB that has issues catching and blocking, especially in a buyer’s market with so many good FA RBs and a really good RB draft class about to happen.

A: They are a starter. It may be as a role player, but they play enough to let the stars shine. There is a chance they develop into more.
DE Marcus Davenport (potential to be a star) 2/36 – He bets on himself. He has the potential to be a star, but I’m relegating to starter for now. He is exactly what this team loves, a Last Chance U former 1st rounder who has the potential to explode like Leatherwood. It may seem like a lot, but it is a premium position, and hitting here would turn him into a star, thereby, elevating our whole team. This is the biggest gamble of the off season.

RB David Montgomery 4/20 We almost double his current salary, and he’s happy to get it. It’s a buyer’s market. He is not a starter, anywhere. A bit of digression, but, arguably, the best jab in all of boxing was the power jab utilized by Sonny Liston. It broke faces. Montgomery will be the Liston jab the Bears use to wear down a D, the power AJ Dylan role to the other RB that we draft in Bijan Robinson. Montgomery’s hands and blocking are the key factor in why we keep him.

C Elgton Jenkins 3/51 What the fuck? We sign a top IOL who wants to get paid like a RT and put him at C? Yeah. He allows for us to move on from Musty and have a badass line. Also, if Learherwood doesn’t pan out, we can move him to RT and sign a cheaper vet to play C.

CAP TOTALS​

These signings leave $16.1 in cap space, according to Spotrac.

We may actually end up with more and still sign all of these guys. Veteran FA can be signed with that, plus our Draft class. Getting this FA haul and one trade would instantly put us in a place to succeed.

I didn’t sign a high priority FA RT like Conklin because of Leatherwood’s play and potential. We can sign a cheaper vet T to play swing. By not signing Conklin, I was able to project getting a top tier WR in Allen, despite the serious injury history.

I am not prioritizing replacing Whitehair this year. He’s dead average and has some leadership. Let’s roll with him and see about replacing him next year. It really just isn’t worth the headache and cap hit to replace him.

Getting this FA haul allows for us to be able to take offensive weapons in the draft and to take BPA while being very competitive for next year.

I’m not a contract guy, so I just did the year and total salary. Some guys are real good at showing exactly how a contract breaks down and all that. I’m not one of them. If the salaries seem high, it’s because I am trying to go with the best available info and am trying to err on the side of caution.

[Edit: thanks to baselman1974 for pointing out I didn’t have an upgrade to OL. It got deleted when I moved the graph over. My bad. I edited it to ad Jenkins from FGB to play C. ]

Last edited:

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
Interesting. I think you're way too low on the money. I think Payne may get 2nd highest DT money in the league. Obviously, not getting Aaron Donald money, but DeForest Buckner makes 21M/year. I think you're looking at 5/100M+ for Payne, who will be getting paid at a younger age. Edmonds at 16M/year is also low when the top off-ball LBs are getting over 20M these days. You also lowballed Montgomery, who I'm not sure why you are bringing back and drafting a RB top 10.

But putting it all together

QB- Fields, Siemien
RB- Montgomery, Robinson, Vaughn
WR- Mooney, Claypool, Allen, Washington, Mingo
TE- Kmet, Kincaid
OL- looks like same as a bad line this year, but with Duncan, since you have no other OL moves listed

DE- Clowney, Davenport, Baldonado, Robinson, Gipson
DT- Payne, Benton, Jones
LB- Simpson, Edmunds, Sanborn
CB- same but with Avery Young
S- unchanged

I will say you added some star power on this roster. Still looks like Fields will be running for his life though on straight drop backs, but at least you got RBs and WRs out the ass.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Davenport has proven that he will not be a star. And Payne will command a lot more than what you posted. Really didn’t read much else.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Poles is not drafting Robinson that high. Quit suggesting this crap.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
Who you trading herbert ? Why would Chargers trade Allen ? Why would we trade for a receiver who can't stay on the field ?
While I agree it won't be to the Bears, the Chargers will probably trade Allen this offseason. They have negative cap space projected for next year with big pay days coming up from Derwin James (already agreed), Rashawn Slater and Justin Herbert (still have to re-sign before 2025). They also have to decide if they want to keep Khalil Mack around at his big cap number, but he and Allen probably both have to go to give them needed cap space.

pdxbearsfan

Liked Posts:
My mock draft is here.

These are the signings that allow for my mock draft to happen and for us to become very competitive next year.
Star: These players require an opposing team to game for them. They must be stopped. A team is built around their prowess.

DT D’Ron Payne 4/72 We get our 3tech to wreck shit.

WLB Tremaine Edmunds 3/48 His athleticism alone is what made him a first-round draft pick. Guess who learned to cover? We put him at WLB and let him attack with Sanborn playing the same kind of clean up role that he played back in Death Row at Wisconsin.

DE Jadaveon Clowney 1/7.5 He's a nice 1-year rental that allows for us to have a good rotation with Davenport, thereby, allowing Davenport to stay healthy and heal from whatever shit he is injured with or may get injured with. We pay him a bit less than the Browns did. If he sticks around, he sticks around, and, if not, GTFO.

WR Keenan Allen (trade Khalil Herbert) 2/33.6 (This is what is left of his contract, but the second year is an out, so we are really paying for 1 year and can re-sign him should he ball the fuck out.) What? Why the fuck would the Chargers trade Keenan Allen to the Bears for a backup RB? It’s a basic salary dump. They have a bit more than 3 mil in space. Allen has been hurt all the time. We have space and don’t need a fast RB that has issues catching and blocking, especially in a buyer’s market with so many good FA RBs and a really good RB draft class about to happen.

A: They are a starter. It may be as a role player, but they play enough to let the stars shine. There is a chance they develop into more.
DE Marcus Davenport (potential to be a star) 2/36 – He bets on himself. He has the potential to be a star, but I’m relegating to starter for now. He is exactly what this team loves, a Last Chance U former 1st rounder who has the potential to explode like Leatherwood. It may seem like a lot, but it is a premium position, and hitting here would turn him into a star, thereby, elevating our whole team. This is the biggest gamble of the off season.

RB David Montgomery 4/20 We almost double his current salary, and he’s happy to get it. It’s a buyer’s market. He is not a starter, anywhere. A bit of digression, but, arguably, the best jab in all of boxing was the power jab utilized by Sonny Liston. It broke faces. Montgomery will be the Liston jab the Bears use to wear down a D, the power AJ Dylan role to the other RB that we draft in Bijan Robinson. Montgomery’s hands and blocking are the key factor in why we keep him.

CAP TOTALS​

These signings leave $16.1 in cap space, according to Spotrac.

We may actually end up with more and still sign all of these guys. Veteran FA can be signed with that, plus our Draft class. Getting this FA haul and one trade would instantly put us in a place to succeed.

I didn’t sign a high priority FA RT like Conklin because of Leatherwood’s play and potential. We can sign a cheaper vet T to play swing. By not signing Conklin, I was able to project getting a top tier WR in Allen, despite the serious injury history.

I am not prioritizing replacing Whitehair this year. He’s dead average and has some leadership. Let’s roll with him and see about replacing him next year. It really just isn’t worth the headache and cap hit to replace him.

Getting this FA haul allows for us to be able to take offensive weapons in the draft and to take BPA while being very competitive for next year.

I’m not a contract guy, so I just did the year and total salary. Some guys are real good at showing exactly how a contract breaks down and all that. I’m not one of them. If the salaries seem high, it’s because I am trying to go with the best available info and am trying to err on the side of caution.
After Payne and Edmunds you went off in the ditch.

dentfan

No gods! No Masters!
Liked Posts:
Who you trading herbert ? Why would Chargers trade Allen ? Why would we trade for a receiver who can't stay on the field ?
Herbert has issues pass blocking, not great hands, and an easily replaceable skill set. Keenan Allen, if healthy, on this team, paired with Mooney and Claypool, is easily worth the risk. It would basically be a one year deal that allows for us to have potential.

The Chargers need to dump salary. We need weapons.

Discus fish salesman

Liked Posts:
While I agree it won't be to the Bears, the Chargers will probably trade Allen this offseason. They have negative cap space projected for next year with big pay days coming up from Derwin James (already agreed), Rashawn Slater and Justin Herbert (still have to re-sign before 2025). They also have to decide if they want to keep Khalil Mack around at his big cap number, but he and Allen probably both have to go to give them needed cap space.
Hopefully they cut Mack and bears bring him back at a more reasonable price with payne and carter/Anderson. That'd be lovely

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:
I don't watch or follow the Chargers, just what I see on rz and occasional prime time game. Wouldn't they restructure his contract ? I highly doubt he gets traded, but then again I don't follow them at all.

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:
Herbert has issues pass blocking, not great hands, and an easily replaceable skill set. Keenan Allen, if healthy, on this team, paired with Mooney and Claypool, is easily worth the risk. It would basically be a one year deal that allows for us to have potential.

The Chargers need to dump salary. We need weapons.
While the things about Herbert are true, why would the Chargers trade for him knowing that is what I mean.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
I don't watch or follow the Chargers, just what I see on rz and occasional prime time game. Wouldn't they restructure his contract ? I highly doubt he gets traded, but then again I don't follow them at all.
Restructure doesn't pay him any less money. And it just pushes money further into the future when Herbert is likely making 40-50Mil/year. They need to create space just to get under the cap. They could cut Mack, but they still would need money to improve the team, even if Herbert's big money doesn't kick in for a year or two. And they have played so many games without him, they know Herbert won't suffer without him.

dentfan

No gods! No Masters!
Liked Posts:
While the things about Herbert are true, why would the Chargers trade for him knowing that is what I mean.
It would be a salary dump and he complements what Austin Eckler does. He’s fast, low, runs hard, and cheap. So, it would be a basic salary dump where they get a dude that will play the same role for them he does for us, and we get a potential game breaker.

baselman1974

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
How can I take this seriously if you don’t have a replacement for Mustipher? Whitehair can be replaced and Leatherwood is being evaluated. If Leatherwood pans out, then replace whitehair. If leatherwood sucks, then get conklin.

dentfan

No gods! No Masters!
Liked Posts:
Keenan allen is close to being finished. Not someone you’d wanna trade for
You may be right, but, since we have the space, wouldn’t he be just the hype of gamble worth rolling the dice on?

1.) he’s on the last year of a deal that could potentially be two.
2.) he is going to want to ball out to get another big payday. He has very incentive to play.
3.) if we have cash available, wouldn’t he be the dude you’d want Fields to throw to?

If he’s done, we spent money we can afford to lose. We’re not betting rent money. If he stays healthy, holy shit. We would have VJJ, Claypool, Money, and Kmet to take some pressure off of him. For a D, can you risk what Allen could do?

This is a guy you gamble on.

dentfan

No gods! No Masters!
Liked Posts:
How can I take this seriously if you don’t have a replacement for Mustipher? Whitehair can be replaced and Leatherwood is being evaluated. If Leatherwood pans out, then replace whitehair. If leatherwood sucks, then get conklin.
Fuck. You’re right. When I copied and pasted it over, I had us signing Elgton Jenkins and moving him to C. You just helped me notice he’s not there. I don’t know why his line in my graph got deleted. My bad. I edited my post. Thanks for the heads up.

Last edited: