Joecawks is a dope
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
Moreland to join Hughes in Cubs' radio booth | cubs.com: News

MESA, Ariz. -- Former Cub Keith Moreland will take over as the color analyst on WGN Radio broadcasts for the late Ron Santo and be the new partner for play-by-play man Pat Hughes.

"Nobody's going to replace Ron Santo -- he's irreplaceable," Moreland said. "All I can do is keep the seat warm and try to do the best I can to be me. I have a great advantage in that in the sense I have a Hall of Fame broadcaster in Pat Hughes to work with. That makes things a lot easier. Plus, going to the ballpark every day, if you go to work at Wrigley, I've done it. I know it's an unbelievable opportunity to go to work."

Moreland signed a three-year contract with WGN Radio.
"He's knowledgeable, he does his homework, he's a good guy, he likes to laugh and he was a good player with the Cubs from 1982 to 1987 -- it's all good," Hughes said.

Moreland, 56, was one of many who interviewed for the spot created when the popular Santo died in December. Hughes and Moreland worked together on seven games last season when Moreland substituted for Santo. The two will have their first WGN Radio broadcast on Feb. 27, when the Cubs begin Cactus League play against the Athletics.

"I'm elated," Moreland said Wednesday. "That's the only word I can use. I hate to be sitting in this seat, because nobody can replace Ron Santo. He was a great friend and a tremendous Cub fan. I can't do anything but try to be myself."

Moreland played for the Cubs from 1982-87, as well as the Phillies, Padres, Tigers and Orioles. A native of Dallas, he was a catcher, third baseman and outfielder. After retiring from baseball, he returned to the University of Texas to earn his bachelor's degree and then spent 16 seasons as the baseball color analyst for the Longhorns' games.

"Every single day, [baseball] is something different, and that's what makes it so much fun," Moreland said.

He did win a World Series championship with the Phillies in 1980, but the Cubs are special to Moreland, who said his favorite game was the "Sandberg Game" in 1984 -- when Ryne Sandberg hit two game-tying homers off Cardinals Hall of Fame closer Bruce Sutter.

"When you go back and look at your career, it was such an incredible place to be a part of," Moreland said.

Moreland, whose nickname is "Zonk," batted .281 with 100 home runs and 491 RBIs in 902 games in six seasons with the Cubs.

"I'm going to have fun," he said. "There will be a little more Southern than folks are used to. I can butcher the English language with the best of them."

So did Santo. His groans and moans were a hallmark of the Cubs broadcasts and what made him so likable.

"I can't replace Ron -- that's not an option," Moreland said. "All I can do is try to be me and have some fun."

He's optimistic, just like all Cubs fans.

"Before my lifetime is over, we're going to win a World Series. I'm a firm believer of that," Moreland said.

NO DAVE FUCKING OTTO!!!! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Last edited:

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
Radio will never be the same. Good luck to him....

wadedog21

Bleedin' Cubbie Blue
Liked Posts:
I was hoping for Mark Grace but Moreland will do just fine. It will not be the same listening to those afternoon ball games at work without Ronnie!

IvyPickin87

Sinkin Putts ****in Butts
Donator
Liked Posts:
Its not going to be the same without ronnie, when they announced it was down to moreland and otto, i was praying for moreland. Otto i cant handle.

poodski

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think enough time has passed that I am happy I can listen to Cubs Radio again.

Ronny was a legend in his own right and will certainly be missed, but a drunken monkey would have been better on the radio.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
YES!!! Moreland!!! No Otto!!!

Northside_slugger

Liked Posts:
Radio will never be the same. Good luck to him....

Yeah, exactly. Not sure how many people actually still listen to the radio, but when i was younger, it was a big part of our lifestyle, growing up in Chicago, putting the game on radio when you couldn't be near a TV and put Harry Carey on. Those are some big shoes to fill. I like the Moreland hire, mainly because i am not a fan (broadcasting wise) of the other guys... Doug Glanville would of been ok too but they rejected him early in the process.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yeah, exactly. Not sure how many people actually still listen to the radio, but when i was younger, it was a big part of our lifestyle, growing up in Chicago, putting the game on radio when you couldn't be near a TV and put Harry Carey on. Those are some big shoes to fill. I like the Moreland hire, mainly because i am not a fan (broadcasting wise) of the other guys... Doug Glanville would of been ok too but they rejected him early in the process.

I do, simply because of my job, im driving downtown back and forth.

AddisonStation

YamaHama it's fright nite
Donator
Liked Posts:
I do, simply because of my job, im driving downtown back and forth.

Ya I listen to a shit load of baseball on the radio. Not just the Cubs either. It's a beautiful combination baseball and radio.

cubsneedmiracle

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
emperor_palpatine.jpg

Good. Goooooood.