My Reading of the Tea Leaves

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
This is my reading of how this all plays out.

-Nagy and Pace are not getting fired. George McCaskey does not have the stones to fire them and hit reset on the organization, even if it wastes the defensive talent on the team. Every excuse will be rolled out [Covid, Injuries, Bad Luck, No offseason for Foles] all while they are saying that they are not making excuses. We saw this with Lovie and Jerry for years after the Super Bowl.

-Nagy and Pace will know they were close to being fired and they will be desperate.

-We will see even more cap space pushed into future years as they try and patch problems on the OL.

-They will make a trade up for a QB in the draft

1. They cannot afford not to have a new QB to dangle as hope in the future

2. It buys them "development" time

3. Why do they care about future picks? If the QB hits it won't matter and if it misses they will be fired.

Alpha Male

Liked Posts:
If they keep pace I hope they dont let him trade up. He has proven he is bad with trades and you make the bears less attractive to future gms if you dont have a pick.

EDPeezy

Liked Posts:
not sure how you stop the GM from making the trades he wants.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
I'd prefer if Pace brings in someone with a better offensive scouting eye.

EDPeezy

Liked Posts:
I like reading all these left field takes from bears fans that would never happen in an nfl organization but they’ll repeatedly suggest it on here as if it’s a legit option for an NFL franchise.

“Yeah, Ryan. We think you have a future with this organization and we’d like to offer you an extension. We have one rule though. We’ve decided you can’t trade up in drafts. We’re putting a nix on that okay?”

Last edited:

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
I don't think the Bears will have Nagy as the headcoach next year if this continues.

They only reason they are not the worst offensive team in the league is because the Jets are still playing....

dennehy

Liked Posts:
Regime change and rebuild is the only logical path forward at the this point. If Pace and Nagy are retained they will destroy the cap for the next few years in an effort to just make the playoffs. Instead, trade the older vets who have value when you can and commit to a 2-3 year rebuild stocking up draft picks and committing to one year of being bad. Unfortunately the Bears won't be bad enough this year to get a franchise QB but the 2022 crop should be pretty good as well.

That said Pace and Nagy are likely to be retained and the organization will suck until at least 2025.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I don't think the Bears will have Nagy as the headcoach next year if this continues.

They only reason they are not the worst offensive team in the league is because the Jets are still playing....

If Nagy goes doesn't Pace have to go? He would have missed at HC and QB.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Regime change and rebuild is the only logical path forward at the this point. If Pace and Nagy are retained they will destroy the cap for the next few years in an effort to just make the playoffs. Instead, trade the older vets who have value when you can and commit to a 2-3 year rebuild stocking up draft picks and committing to one year of being bad. Unfortunately the Bears won't be bad enough this year to get a franchise QB but the 2022 crop should be pretty good as well.

That said Pace and Nagy are likely to be retained.

I agree the logical step is a regime change. I am not sure they need to sell off everyone, but they need a better offensive evaluator and coach.

Midway Fields

CCS Quarterback Guru
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
I like reading all these left field takes from bears fans that would never happen in an nfl organization but they’ll repeatedly suggest it on here as if it’s an option for an NFL franchise.

“Yeah, Ryan. We think you have a future with this organization and we’d like to offer you an extension. We have one rule though. We’ve decided you can’t trade up in drafts. We’re putting a mix to that okay?”

bahhhhhhhhh bahhhhhhhhh

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:
If the trend continues they'll be fired. Pace is on his last year 2021 and Nagy will have one year left.

WestCoastBearsFan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Los Angeles Kings
  1. Clemson Tigers
I agree the logical step is a regime change. I am not sure they need to sell off everyone, but they need a better offensive evaluator and coach.
Anything not sold off will 1 take away from building a functional offense which should be the #1 goal and 2 everything not sold off will only decrease in value as the defense ages out as a unit. Makes no sense to not tear it down completely.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
If Nagy goes doesn't Pace have to go? He would have missed at HC and QB.

I think Pace has to go too. Pace helped put this offense together. I think Pace is better at his job than Nagy, but that isn't saying much.

There is no reason to run this offense again next year. There is no reason to march Nagy out there having failed with a young QB and an experienced QB.

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
I feel like pace is already been neutered but not by George but by his poor decisions. He has been living in free agency and trading and it has caught up to our current cap situation. He didn’t make any dumb ass traded before the deadline. He hasn’t been signing anyone on the street no matter how desperate things look at ol and rb. He isn’t offering extensions to anyone. Something is up it’s either our cap situation is that bad going into next year or he’s being cut off. Hoping he’s being cut off but I doubt it he’s got the covid excuse going for him.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Not sure if the Bears will make any changes managament-wise. But I am saying that they should be gone. We can expect another year of being basically detroit.

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
Not sure if the Bears will make any changes managament-wise. But I am saying that they should be gone. We can expect another year of being basically detroit.
I think both should be gone. In over five years of his gm vision we have no identity despite using most of the cap. And the hc who is an offense guru has the worse ranking offense two years in a row. But should and will are two diff things the bears do things their own way

dennehy

Liked Posts:
Some things to think about: what can you get for your older vets, and which ones do you want to trade?

What does Hicks get you? Maybe a 4th? What does Fuller get you? At best probably a low second or third? Mack isn't tradeable this year, but he probably gets a 2nd and change in 2021? Those are really the only tradeable assets over the next two years unless you want to move someone on a rookie deal.

Applefan

Liked Posts:
We aren't that devoid of talent from player 1-55. There are spots where we are thin, OL, RB. QB's aren't greatbbut are poorly coached. All those "cooks in the kitcen"-Nagy, Lazor, DiFillippo and Ragone and this is the production? Nagy and Pace should be fired. I think there's a chance they may be.