Nagy Defers

roadwarrior_joe

Liked Posts:
Not sure if this has been discussed in other threads, if so my bad as I have not seen it.

Listening to Laurence Holmes today he brought up a great point about the idea of deferring the opening KO, which basically is supposed to give you a possible opportunity towards the end of the half to maybe score some points, and then get the second half kickoff to again drive for more points. Of course we see this happen many times as most teams have very efficient 2 minute drills, even the ones with not so good QB's get it done. Just a quick FG at the end of a half gives the team more momentum going into the locker room.

So what does the genius Nagy do?! He defers.his team is down by four, he gets the freaking ball back with over a minute and a half left, he has TO's, and instead of doing what the option of deferring is supposed to do,which is run your 2 minute drill and try to score, he instead runs out the clock. WHY???

gocbears

Liked Posts:
I had to laugh at the beginning of the game. Jim Nance (who should stick to announcing golf, figure skating & badminton) said it was an odd move and risky that Nagy deferred. It may have been one of the few decisions Nagy made correctly.
Nagy needs to be replaced at the soonest opportunity, but I fear the ownership may keep him around one more year...

Zion

Magitek Knight
Liked Posts:
It's amusing that Nagy deferred knowing full well his team has struggled to put up points in the 3rd quarter all season.

Way to put the team in the best position to win coach

DaaBears

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
His reasoning for not trying was field position, which makes no sense. You got the ball on the 23 with a minute and a half and 2 time outs which equals tons of time. He said he would rather start from fresh on the kickoff. Where do you think you're gonna get the ball on the kickoff?

Not sure I explained that well, but that particular round of strategy and play calling was just symbolic of the strategy all game, and all year and last year. Trubisky was throwing dimes down the field when he let him throw. It really is hard to comprehend.

CHIBEAR

Liked Posts:
When the qbs an idiot the 2 minute drill was dead before it starts .

Nagy to his credit tried to put the ball in his qbs hand and give him a chance to make a name for himself and earn some damn respect and the pussified qb DEFERS to Ryan Nall.

He called an RPO and if the QB take the initiative and keeps it its a first down and possibly more . You then rush to the OLine and you are now in business instead the guy hands the damn ball to Ryan Nall.

Im sorry but I dont see any playoff qb this weekend doing that sort of shit in the playoffs .

sevvy

Get rich, or try dying
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
I really hope the decision to fire him is just taking a minute to figure out. I just feel like his arrow is pointing way down. Getting blown out by Green Bay twice, and then shitting his pants in the playoffs. Nagy can't beat a good team no matter who his QB is.

I just don't see how you run this back.

CHIBEAR

Liked Posts:
I really hope the decision to fire him is just taking a minute to figure out. I just feel like his arrow is pointing way down. Getting blown out by Green Bay twice, and then shitting his pants in the playoffs. Nagy can't beat a good team no matter who his QB is.

I just don't see how you run this back.

beat the Bucs with a different qb

sevvy

Get rich, or try dying
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
beat the Bucs with a different qb

I mean, you're not wrong. But the Nick Foles experiment was objectively a tremendous failure otherwise.

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
Deferring is a strategy to use when you have a great defense to get momentum to start the game. We don't have that. Lovie would always defer. Don't know why Nagy would though.

greg23

Liked Posts:
I mean, this isn't rocket science

There's a reason why, despite generally being meatheads, coaches always defer if they win the toss......

ITS THE RIGHT DECISION

Its gives you an opportunity for b2b possessions , which is rare , and allows you to really stretch out a lead or get back into the game quickly.

No issues with the play calling there as he needed to keep the clock moving and get a 1st down before going super aggressive.....otherwise the Saints would have likely put up another 3 or 7 before half. If went south when mitch decides to give it to Nall vs keeping it....that's a 1st down, timeout and ball around the 35....with 50 seconds and 1 timeout left.....2018 mitch keeps it...he's dead, his bald headed coach pounded it into him that he's a passer not a runner.

hyatt151

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Deferring is a strategy to use when you have a great defense to get momentum to start the game. We don't have that. Lovie would always defer. Don't know why Nagy would though.

They did stop the Saints on the opening drive however

Bears Backer 54

Liked Posts:
I get the logic of trying to run on first down when the defense was expecting pass given the clock situation. The fact we couldn't get at least one first down was a major reason they ran out the clock. Usually, good coaches have a few high percentage first down plays to get that first down of the 2 minute drive and get things moving. Nagy of course had nothing ready for it. The most inexcusable part of that entire series was the terrible personnel choice and putting the ball in Ryan Nall's hand on third down.

DaaBears

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I get the logic of trying to run on first down when the defense was expecting pass given the clock situation. The fact we couldn't get at least one first down was a major reason they ran out the clock. Usually, good coaches have a few high percentage first down plays to get that first down of the 2 minute drive and get things moving. Nagy of course had nothing ready for it. The most inexcusable part of that entire series was the terrible personnel choice and putting the ball in Ryan Nall's hand on third down.

I would normally agree with your last sentence, but it was quite apparent to everyone from the players, to the Saints, to the fans and to the announcers that the Bears had zero intention to even attempt to score despite plenty of time, 2 time outs and being 40 yards away from a FG attempt. It makes no sense at all and I am confident that it is demoralizing for the players more than anything.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
When the qbs an idiot the 2 minute drill was dead before it starts .

Nagy to his credit tried to put the ball in his qbs hand and give him a chance to make a name for himself and earn some damn respect and the pussified qb DEFERS to Ryan Nall.

He called an RPO and if the QB take the initiative and keeps it its a first down and possibly more . You then rush to the OLine and you are now in business instead the guy hands the damn ball to Ryan Nall.

Im sorry but I dont see any playoff qb this weekend doing that sort of shit in the playoffs .
Unless those are fake RPOs and assigned handoffs with an RPO look, Mitch has been atrocious at reading the end.

CHIBEAR

Liked Posts:
I mean, you're not wrong. But the Nick Foles experiment was objectively a tremendous failure otherwise.

Was it ? because it seems to me that Foles took over team that just lost its top threat in Cohen which just so happen to coincide with us playing 5 of the top teams in the league while trying to figure out a running game and battling Oline problems with injuries and Covid .

so the experiment didn't fail it was never finished and ver got close to acceptable conditions to judge anyone