Nero's Spring Training Crow

Nero

What was that garbage?
Liked Posts:
When the White Sox media department unveiled the "Appreciate The Game" slogan for the new season, it occurred to me the organization seems content is doing just that: appreciating the game.

I cannot honestly remember the last time I was this not excited to see a new baseball season or better yet, the last time time I wanted to just speed through a season and move onto the next. Or wait...even better than that, speed through the remainders of Dunn and Rios' contracts. I read the thread where the question was asked: "What over-the-hill, half-in-the-bag, worthless, and often times expensive player will Kenny Williams target via trade this season?" That's a very valid question and as I begin to ponder an answer, I just regurgitated some of my lunch.

Say what want about Ozzie but one thing I always appreciated about him, (and what we'll all soon miss), is how he managed to curb a lot of the crazy-KW schematics. What we now have to look forward to is a new era of Robin Ventura "yes man" baseball. Robin isn't a bad guy but if I were being honest, I'm not even sure I was that much of a fan when he was on the field. Robin doesn't strike me as a guy who has an immaculate knack for managing a locker room of overpaid and underachieving grown men. Robin most recently served as special adviser to Buddy Bell and while I'm not all that sure what being a "special adviser" entails, I do know that most of Robin's time in the White Sox front office has been spent on player development...which is obviously a far cry from what he's just been given a multi-year contract to do.

Ken Williams: "rebuilding"
Robin Ventura: "reloading"

Evidence that KW's hand is already up Ventura's ass and firmly griped on the inside of the jaw.

I would also like to note: Ozzie would've kicked Nolan's ass.

And just when you think there's a slim chance in hell Jerry would finally get tired of KW's shit enough to fire him...nope. Jerry not only embraces KW's "rebuilding but not really rebuilding" approach but he seems to have gone shit-nuts himself.

Jerry Reinsdorf on Mark Buehrle: "He was perfect for our team."
Jerry Reinsdorf on Ken Williams on Mark Buehrle: "He just didn't fit into our plans."

So we there you go Southsiders, the owner of our favorite franchise just admitted that perfection isn't in the plans. Then again, I guess we should've already realized this...a la Ken Griffey, Manny Ramirez, Alex Rios, just to name a few. I'm beginning to wonder exactly what is on the incriminating Polaroid KW continues to blackmail Reinsdorf with.

So what is our best case scenario here? 79 wins again? 85? Can we emerge as the dark-horse of the Central? Well if De Aza can consistently get on base and snatch some extra bags from the leadoff spot, if Adam Dunn can multiply his .159 average from last year by 3, if Fukudome or Viciedo can fill some of the lineup void now left in right field, if Alex Rios starts playing like he gives a shit again, if Morel builds off the strong plate numbers of last September, if Gordon Beckham can look more like he did as a rookie with a bat in his hands, and if Danks can rekindle some of his 2008-2010 flame, all while anchoring the rotation...the maybe, just maybe, we can shock the world and make a run for the Central crown.

We had better be careful or next thing we know, the Cubs will start winning more games. The sky starts falling for many of us when that happens. Hey...just remember to "Appreciate The Game". When we're competing with the Royals to stay out of last place, "Appreciate The Game". When attendance starts to average below 20,000, "Appreciate The Game".

I think the media department misunderstood Kenny Williams when he told them: "Don't hate the player, hate the game."

Hey KW, I hear Michael Jordan is available!