New Playoff OT Rules

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jysen

I Want To Believe...
Donator
Liked Posts:
This years Overtime Rules in the Play Offs reminds me of College rules. Each Team has the chance to score, with some limitations. A TD is an automatic win on the 1st possession. A FG gives the other team a chance. If both score a FG, its sudden death as it use to be. However, there are a few ways to win as well with Defense and Special Teams. I dont know if I actually approve of the new rules, but should be interesting... http://www.playerpress.com/articles/13088-new-nfl-playoff-overtime-rule-explained

Gator29

Lucky Charm
Liked Posts:
Thank You for information. It was useful to know.

ClydeLee

Liked Posts:
I wasn't a fan of it from the talk of it in the beginning. Not in favor of peoples complaints either... saying overtime isn't "fair" yet why should it be? That team failed to win in regulation they don't need to be accommodated too.

I'm glad they at least made it apply only to the playoffs and just the 1st possession field goal rule.

I'll actually be angry if they make a rule change with playoff seeding and give Wildcard teams home playoff games if their record is better this year. I guess people forgot as a wildcard team your supposed to be known as lucky to even be in the playoffs

I'll be more angry if they

Jysen

I Want To Believe...
Donator
Liked Posts:
I agree. I dont see why theres a need to alter the OT rules in such a way that it semi-reflects a College game. Might as well just start em at the 40 yard line... As for Wildcards, it'd be ignorant to see them obtain homefield advantage. There was a lot of talk of the Seahawks even being in the POs with their record. Especially with 10 plus win teams getting shafted because of current Seeding Rules. Can only imagine the crap they'll do to 'improve' the game in the future.

X

When one letter is enough
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Personally, I'd like Roger Goodell to make a 1-day appearance on this board...just so I could make sure he realizes how absolutely Special person it is to change the rules of overtime for the playoffs only! Look, I understand the overtime rule wasn't working...and I'm not against this rule...at least until it plays out. But please, for the love of God, tell me why it starts in the playoffs!?! If this happens week 5, a team loses b/c they haven't figured out their strategy for OT...they play the next week. Now, in a one-and-done scenario, a team doesn't quite get their own strategy...tough shit...try again next year.

super, explosive facepalm.
Epic_Facepalm_by_RJTH%255B1%255D.jpg

JJ-28

Liked Posts:
Some ask why they cnage the rules for Playoff OT. Its simple the rules in place suck. with kicker who can kick 50+ yard FG it only take 1 or 2 first downs and the game is over. The Playoff OT rules should be the rules for all games.

Jysen

I Want To Believe...
Donator
Liked Posts:
For all games would be more acceptable, but I agree, right now all of a sudden? And besides, whats wrong with the way it was? They had ALL game to get it done after all. And the team that has a 50yard kicker? Cant help that they signed a guy that can. Thats why special teams exsist. Thats like crying every QB starting isnt a Brady/Manning clone. Just because they have the talent to do something doesnt make it unfair. Means smart decisions in signing to make a better team.

IronMike

Liked Posts:
I think they should take it a step further and eliminate FG from OT altogether. There is nothing worse than seeing your team come from behind and tie it up in the final seconds only to have the game be over in 3 plays when the other team wins the coin toss in OT.

Last edited:

Jysen

I Want To Believe...
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think they should take it a step further and eliminate FG from OT altogether. There is nothing worse than seeing your team come from behind and tie it up in the final seconds only to have the game be over in 3 plays when the other team wins the coin toss in OT.

True, but take into consideration that they Did have the opportunity to stop the offense after losing the toss. It may not seem like much, but thats part of the "thrill" in OT. Its sudden Death. But this wont be an issuse with thses rules.

If they score a FG, then the other team gets a shot. If they do the same, its back to Sudden Death. Which at that point, makes the changes utterly pointless, and much time wasted off the clock.

Not to mentioin how many Extra OT's can occur now.

ClydeLee

Liked Posts:
Idk why everyone blames Goodell on the things that weren't his decisions... like this one. Blame him on the penalties and wussying out the teams and the wanting to go into Europe and have 18 games... but this wasn't his doing.

The rule was brought up by and voted on by the NFL competition committee that consists of owners and coaches (like Jeff Fisher) and other representatives. I think the Vikings owner was actually one of the people who voted against the rule even though it would of changed his teams outcome last year.

thedude33

Liked Posts:
Right, the Vikings are eliminated in OT so they change the rules?

TopekaRoy

The Wizard of OZ
Donator
Liked Posts:
Right, the Vikings are eliminated in OT so they change the rules?

It's not just the Vikings. Losing by a FG in overtime happened to the Steelers in '03, the Chargers and Packers in '04, the Jets in '05, the Seahawks in '07, and the Packers again in '08. It happens quite often, actually.

But if the new rule is more fair, then why not use it during the regular season? This year 16 games were decided by a FG in overtime, if I counted right. If the new rule had been in effect, many of those games could've gone the other way, and the playoff picture would look much different right now.

R_Mac_1

Liked Posts:
I love the fact that they changed the rules. Both teams should at least have somewhat of a chance in OT. Like someone said, you could fight back in a game to force OT, and have something as simple as a good KO return and FG lose the game for you with no chance to play your offense. The college rules suck too, so I'm glad it's not similar to that.

They just need to apply it to regular season as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.