NEWS: Hawks Goalie Update

N3

Liked Posts:
Also...you are going to let Crawford start and then if he has a great year have to go thru all of this again because he is a RFA? What in the fuck is going on around here.

tbo41fan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Arizona Wildcats
LOL niemi is lost

Savoir_Faire_18

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Did Bill Wirtz come back from the dead?! This would only be a plan the "penny-pincher" himself would think of!

tbo41fan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Arizona Wildcats
We do have a wirtz still in charge :shifty:

kidding

Livewire

Liked Posts:
I agree... Turco will most likely sign 1.5 to come to Chicago. But to sit on the bench? No. Turco will start, that is why he will take a cut to go to a team that wants to continue their winning ways. Crawford had numbers possibly, but the man is not ready for the starting job at the NHL level.

Turco, if not Niemi, will be the starting netminder... regardless of what the source says.

This is 100% correct. Crawford has struggled to make the NHL roster for years now, Turco is a proven NHL veteran who is, in my opinion, better than Niemi. Turco has done it for over a decade while Niemi has done it for half a season. Other than Turco's age this is an upgrade at goalie and there are 10000 goalies that have been hot for a season then fall off the face of the earth. There is no guarantee that Niemi will have the same type of year but Marty Turco in front of our defense is a sure thing for success.

hawkeyTOWNnews

Liked Posts:
This is 100% correct. Crawford has struggled to make the NHL roster for years now, Turco is a proven NHL veteran who is, in my opinion, better than Niemi. Turco has done it for over a decade while Niemi has done it for half a season. Other than Turco's age this is an upgrade at goalie and there are 10000 goalies that have been hot for a season then fall off the face of the earth. There is no guarantee that Niemi will have the same type of year but Marty Turco in front of our defense is a sure thing for success.

Hey i agree buddy I am not that worried about this situation but Crawford had only struggled because of a small "flaw" in the contract.

Captain Iago

Giver of Occular Proof
Donator
Liked Posts:
Hey i agree buddy I am not that worried about this situation but Crawford had only struggled because of a small "flaw" in the contract.

I thought that last year was a true competition (not $ influencing the decision) between him and Niemi as there was room for either/or...and Crawford lost out to Niemi.

Honestly, I haven't really liked what I've seen out of Crawford at the NHL level. I hope I am proved wrong, if need be.

Capt. Serious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Time for Crawf to get his chance....as a backup.

He's done enough in the fucking minors!

stormbolter73

Liked Posts:
From all the sources I have, it was stated that Niemi and Crawford were equal coming out of camp and that because Crawf wasn't going to be exposed to waivers and Niemi would be, that influenced the overall decision more than one outplaying the other.

Captain Iago

Giver of Occular Proof
Donator
Liked Posts:
From all the sources I have, it was stated that Niemi and Crawford were equal coming out of camp and that because Crawf wasn't going to be exposed to waivers and Niemi would be, that influenced the overall decision more than one outplaying the other.

That part I wasn't sure about (too lazy to check) and would certainly make sense.

tbo41fan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Arizona Wildcats
I would be comfortable with a Turco/Crawford tandem

omc1969

Liked Posts:
I'd have no problem with a Turco / Crawford combo of youth and experience. With our "D" it's a good fit.

tbo41fan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Arizona Wildcats
Agree.

With Turco's cap hit of 1.3, we will spend 2.1 mil on goalies next year. 650k less than Niemi alone was awarded

Capt. Serious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
According to Chris Kuc, 5 teams have already called Niemi's agent.

tbo41fan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Arizona Wildcats
good. hopefully one of those teams have a shitty defense. Then they will see exactly what Niemi is