NFC North: Packers Talking DeAngelo Williams...

Status
Not open for further replies.

waldo7239117

Driving Wreckless DA Best
Donator
Liked Posts:
The Panthers are listening to the Packers and the two sides are still talking players & picks, but the Panthers want to see what happens with their next game against the Bears before their bye week. If they lose the Panthers would be 0-5 and a deal is likely to happen IF the two sides can (1) agree on compensation and if (2) the Packers can sign Williams to a new deal that would keep him a Packer beyond the 2010 season

According to a source with knowledge of the situation, the dialogue is good and going in a very positive direction.

Keep an eye on James Jones during these trade discussions as a possible trade chip. The Panthers need another WR opposite of Steve Smith (and would allow them to move Branden LaFell to the slot when they go 3 wide) and Jones could be a key figure in a potential Williams deal.

Now that Marshawn Lynch has been traded to Seattle, I was told by a source with knowledge that the Packers never really desired Lynch and wanted Williams all along because Williams has no character issues and has a reputation of being a great teammate and a smart football player.

I can't find a link.

UPDATE: ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter addressed the possibility of the Packers adding another running back this season in his chat on Friday. As Schefter writes, the options look limited (see below).

---

The Green Bay Press-Gazette reports that the Green Bay Packers were actively trying to deal for Buffalo Bills running back Marshawn Lynch, before the Bills sent him to the Seattle Seahawks. Perhaps the fourth-round pick the Seahawks gave up was too rich for the Packers' blood.

However, it is logical to think that the Pack might still be looking for a No. 1 back to replace the injured Ryan Grant, which can only lead to one thing: speculation! Matt Vensel of the Baltimore Sun offers some up, mentioning the Baltimore Ravens' Willis McGahee as one option, and DeAngelo Williams of the Carolina Panthers as another.

McGahee has been on and off the trading block since the summer, but might not be the best fit for Green Bay, as the team is looking for more of an every-down back. Williams would certainly be worth looking into if you're the Packers, but Carolina would have to be willing to deal him first. Of course, the Panthers are in rebuilding mode now with Jimmy Clausen in at quarterback, and do have Jonathan Stewart and Mike Goodson at the running back position, so trading Williams for some draft picks could be an appealing option.

We'll see if the Pack continues to search for an answer at RB.

This is from ESPN.

Thoughts? This trade will help the Pack out a lot, but this is a trade that will cost them. For some reason, there's a good chance this trade will not get done in my opinion.

Rex Jaybels

Liked Posts:
If you're the Packers you desperately need a RB if you seriously plan on contending for a Super Bowl this season. They have the depth at WR, so I could see this as a long shot possibility.

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
If they want to win the Super Bowl, they will trade for a RB. I'm hoping they dont though.

waldo7239117

Driving Wreckless DA Best
Donator
Liked Posts:
Good News: 2 teams called the Panthers about Williams and were told "he's not going anywhere".

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Gooood. I really hope GB comes up empty in all of this.

USCChiFan

Crow's Nest
Donator
Liked Posts:
I really doubt the Panthers trade DeAngelo or Jonathan Stewart

Status
Not open for further replies.