NFL analysts rip Matt Nagy after ‘one of the worst offensive coaching performances that I’ve seen the Bears take part in over the last couple years’

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
First Rex Ryan, now Sage Rosenthal. Has anyone ever seen analyst pile on so hard on a HC ? It speaks to how completely inept Nagy is that a usually measured Rosenthal felt the need to speak unfiltered on Nagy's shit playcalling.
Chicagotribune.com

Matt Nagy: Analysts blast Chicago Bears coach after playoff loss
Phil Rosenthal

4 minutes

Former NFL quarterback Sage Rosenfels devoted much of his final weekly appearance this season on WSCR-AM 670 on Tuesday to torching Nagy’s strategies.

A day earlier on ESPN, former NFL coach Rex Ryan, son of the late Super Bowl XX Bears defensive coordinator Buddy Ryan, blasted Nagy for mishandling quarterback Mitch Trubisky.

Rosenfels, who played for Iowa State and then five NFL teams, blamed Nagy for losing “a very winnable” wild-card game to the New Orleans Saints, 21-9, on Sunday. Rosenfels cited “coaching deficiencies, offensive coaching deficiencies” that failed to make things easier for Trubisky and his teammates.

“I don’t even think Mitch played all that bad,” Rosenfels said, suggesting Trubisky was handicapped by play calling and conception.

“It was one of the worst offensive coaching performances that I’ve seen the Bears take part in over the last couple years. It was really bad from a schematic standpoint. … I thought the players didn’t play very well, but I thought they were put into a terrible position, especially their quarterback, a terrible position to try to win that game and to try to be productive in that game.”

Rosenfels’ breakdown of the game centered on poor decisions by Nagy and his offensive staff, such as the use of empty backfields on first-down plays, enabling the Saints to effectively pressure Trubisky.

Pointing also to how Bears receivers struggled to shake Saints coverage, Rosenfels said: “When nobody’s open on a bootleg, that’s a coach’s fault.”

WSCR hosts Dan Bernstein and Leila Rahimi asked him why the midseason substitution of Nick Foles for Trubisky, a move later reversed, didn’t work amid a six-game losing streak.

“It’s a failure of just the deep science of football altogether, that you’re going to bring in a guy that’s not a great quarterback ... and say, ‘We’re going to rely on an offense that makes the quarterback have to play great to win,’ ” Rosenfels said.

“To me you need your quarterback to be part of the team, not the team. And I know they make a lot of money and I know they get the most attention and they’re the ones with the press conferences, but if you can make their job easier, you will have success.”

Ryan, on Mike Greenberg’s ESPN morning TV show, “Get Up!” offered Northwestern coach Pat Fitzgerald as a better fit for the Bears than Nagy.

“I’ve never been a big fan of this Nagy guy and, quite honestly, it’s because of the way he handled the Trubisky thing,” Ryan said Monday. “He put everything on him. I mean, he’s the guy they blame everything on.

“Well, why don’t you look at yourself first, man? I mean, dude, you scored three points in this game — I mean, I know it was nine, but nah, it was three points — and quite honestly, you’re an offensive guru. That’s why you came here.”

Ryan, who famously has a tattoo on an arm showing his wife wearing a jersey of Mark Sanchez, his one-time quarterback, seems to believe Nagy hasn’t properly shielded Trubisky from criticism.

“That’s your job as a head coach,” Ryan said. “You don’t make your quarterback take every bullet. You take the dang bullets, and that’s what I don’t respect about this guy.”

Ryan acknowledged Nagy’s Bears have made the playoffs in two of his three seasons as coach.

“Congratulations,” he said facetiously. “That’s because the NFC is a hell of a lot weaker than the AFC.”

ZenBear34

Liked Posts:
I look forward to either Mitch going somewhere else and everyone realizing he's one of the worst quarterbacks in the NFL or the Bears firing Nagy, keeping Mitch and everyone realizing he's one of the worst quarterbacks in the NFL.

Get the fuck out of here with this bullshit. There's no magic wand, no scheme or play calling that can cover for a quarterback like Mitch vs. an above average defense. He has to many limitations. How many defenders need to say it before you idiots realize it.

For the record, I don't really care if they keep Nagy or not. They can do better, but they can also do worse. The problem is Mitch and the guy who drafted him.

Anytime23

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
I look forward to either Mitch going somewhere else and everyone realizing he's one of the worst quarterbacks in the NFL or the Bears firing Nagy, keeping Mitch and everyone realizing he's one of the worst quarterbacks in the NFL.

Get the fuck out of here with this bullshit. There's no magic wand, no scheme or play calling that can cover for a quarterback like Mitch vs. an above average defense. He has to many limitations. How many defenders need to say it before you idiots realize it.

For the record, I don't really care if they keep Nagy or not. They can do better, but they can also do worse. The problem is Mitch and the guy who drafted him.
For anyone wondering, this isn't my alt account, just a really great post by someone who knows what they're talking about.

A+++post. Would like again.

Also, OP is a major Trubisexual.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
For anyone wondering, this isn't my alt account, just a really great post by someone who knows what they're talking about.

A+++post. Would like again.

Also, OP is a major Trubisexual.

BearsJR

Liked Posts:

I would look forward to option 3, where Mitch stays, Nagy goes, and Mitch becoming one of the best QBs in football.

yeah I k ow it’s not reality, but I’d take that over Mitch staying and sucking so I could say “I knew it”. What a shitty fan take that is.

sevvy

Get rich, or try dying
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
God, I hope Nagy gets a bad case of Covid. It's our only hope... :ROFLMAO:

Leomaz

Pissing people off the right way!
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
  2. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
First Rex Ryan, now Sage Rosenthal. Has anyone ever seen analyst pile on so hard on a HC ? It speaks to how completely inept Nagy is that a usually measured Rosenthal felt the need to speak unfiltered on Nagy's shit playcalling.
Chicagotribune.com

Matt Nagy: Analysts blast Chicago Bears coach after playoff loss
Phil Rosenthal

4 minutes

Former NFL quarterback Sage Rosenfels devoted much of his final weekly appearance this season on WSCR-AM 670 on Tuesday to torching Nagy’s strategies.

A day earlier on ESPN, former NFL coach Rex Ryan, son of the late Super Bowl XX Bears defensive coordinator Buddy Ryan, blasted Nagy for mishandling quarterback Mitch Trubisky.

Rosenfels, who played for Iowa State and then five NFL teams, blamed Nagy for losing “a very winnable” wild-card game to the New Orleans Saints, 21-9, on Sunday. Rosenfels cited “coaching deficiencies, offensive coaching deficiencies” that failed to make things easier for Trubisky and his teammates.

“I don’t even think Mitch played all that bad,” Rosenfels said, suggesting Trubisky was handicapped by play calling and conception.

“It was one of the worst offensive coaching performances that I’ve seen the Bears take part in over the last couple years. It was really bad from a schematic standpoint. … I thought the players didn’t play very well, but I thought they were put into a terrible position, especially their quarterback, a terrible position to try to win that game and to try to be productive in that game.”

Rosenfels’ breakdown of the game centered on poor decisions by Nagy and his offensive staff, such as the use of empty backfields on first-down plays, enabling the Saints to effectively pressure Trubisky.

Pointing also to how Bears receivers struggled to shake Saints coverage, Rosenfels said: “When nobody’s open on a bootleg, that’s a coach’s fault.”

WSCR hosts Dan Bernstein and Leila Rahimi asked him why the midseason substitution of Nick Foles for Trubisky, a move later reversed, didn’t work amid a six-game losing streak.

“It’s a failure of just the deep science of football altogether, that you’re going to bring in a guy that’s not a great quarterback ... and say, ‘We’re going to rely on an offense that makes the quarterback have to play great to win,’ ” Rosenfels said.

“To me you need your quarterback to be part of the team, not the team. And I know they make a lot of money and I know they get the most attention and they’re the ones with the press conferences, but if you can make their job easier, you will have success.”

Ryan, on Mike Greenberg’s ESPN morning TV show, “Get Up!” offered Northwestern coach Pat Fitzgerald as a better fit for the Bears than Nagy.

“I’ve never been a big fan of this Nagy guy and, quite honestly, it’s because of the way he handled the Trubisky thing,” Ryan said Monday. “He put everything on him. I mean, he’s the guy they blame everything on.

“Well, why don’t you look at yourself first, man? I mean, dude, you scored three points in this game — I mean, I know it was nine, but nah, it was three points — and quite honestly, you’re an offensive guru. That’s why you came here.”

Ryan, who famously has a tattoo on an arm showing his wife wearing a jersey of Mark Sanchez, his one-time quarterback, seems to believe Nagy hasn’t properly shielded Trubisky from criticism.

“That’s your job as a head coach,” Ryan said. “You don’t make your quarterback take every bullet. You take the dang bullets, and that’s what I don’t respect about this guy.”

Ryan acknowledged Nagy’s Bears have made the playoffs in two of his three seasons as coach.

“Congratulations,” he said facetiously. “That’s because the NFC is a hell of a lot weaker than the AFC.”
Whe Sage Rosenfels says you are crap.....you better damn well believe it.

THIS TEAM IS THE LAUGHING STOCK OF THE NFL

Nail Polish

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I was helping out rehabbing a house for a disabled vet today...One of the other workers is a huge Alabama fan...We were talking football, and when the Bears came up, the first thing he said was..

"You need a new play caller, the play calling in that game was horrible"

Starion

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Obvious to all except the one who can do something about it.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

Mitch and Nagy's fails are not mutually exclusive but one can do a lot to minimize the fail of the other and of reinforce it.

LiverpoolBearsFAn

Liked Posts:
Basically Mitch isn’t good enough to be able to overcome Nagy’s poor offence but many wouldn’t be. To be fair to Mitch he hasn’t had the best of scenarios here, so it’s kind of hard to judge just how good he is with any real confidence.

First John Fox who would happily not have played offence at all if there was any way he could avoid it, along with one of the worst sets of targets ever seen.

Then Nagy’s overcomplicated, unambitious dink and dunk schemes full of sideways passes and for most of the season a very poor offensive line.

I still don’t think Mitch is the guy - his stats when throwing the ball beyond 10 yards are very poor which is telling. You can’t turn back the clock and although things might have been different with better coaching, I think his ceiling now is as a decent mobile guy who you can manage games with.

I don’t expect Mitch to go somewhere else and light it up, but he may do better with a fresh start. We need a new QB and a new HC. Ultimately all the evidence says that neither of them are good enough.