NFL/CBA Lockout

Sunbiz1

Liked Posts:
Will the NFL owners and NFLPA really allow this to drag into the Summer?. Should this occur it will be interesting to see how team FO's will adjust to full-filling needs without knowing salary cap limitations etc.

"The best guess is there will be a lockout, and many harsh words. But eventually, maybe in August, the players will buckle at the thought of losing $4.4 billion in salary and benefits. A new CBA will be agreed upon, and the NFL will have a very short period to sign free agents and get teams prepared for a season that could be shorter than usual."

NFL players contract: NFL players and owners leaping into the great unknown - chicagotribune.com

fade

Liked Posts:
I agree with the quote. The players dont have much leverage over the teams, and will eventually give-in and lose much of what they gained in the last CBA (and some more).

Cover3

wat
Liked Posts:
if a lockout is what it takes to prevent future bust rookies to get handed 50 mil guaranteed before even throwing 1 pass(not to mention lazy, fat fucks), then so be it, I don't give a shi- if it lasts 2 years

Sunbiz1

Liked Posts:
The league will receive $4 billion in TV revenue this year, whether a season is played or not; the NFL says its TV contracts normally protect the league against the possibility that games might be lost.

Owners tend to have much longer careers than players.

ClydeLee

Liked Posts:
if a lockout is what it takes to prevent future bust rookies to get handed 50 mil guaranteed before even throwing 1 pass(not to mention lazy, fat fucks), then so be it, I don't give a shi- if it lasts 2 years

That issue has almost nothing to do with the lockout, that change is a guarantee which both sides are in favor of, it will happen already. The issues of taking away money from all players which includes those who earned it and making them preform more is serious.

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
There's a meeting Saturday.. That's encouraging news.

X

When one letter is enough
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Honestly...I think we'll have NFL Football in 2011...NBA Basketball? Not so much.

But, in all honesty, I see the NBA beginning a ritual of sorts...skipping a season every 8-10 years...the labor agreement is just so messy...everyone wants more money, and no one is willing to budge...Just another reason the minimum for players entering the draft should be 2 years removed from HS at the least, instead of just one.

Pedro

Liked Posts:
I agree 100%. Owners will still be wealthy if there's not a season in 2011, but most of the NFL players depend on that paycheck.

Popinski Soda

Back in the USSR
Donator
Liked Posts:

I do, Bears football is the only thing that makes life worth living.

Sunbiz1

Liked Posts:
There's a meeting Saturday.. That's encouraging news.

I have a sneaky suspicion that these meetings will resolve nothing. The owners get paid almost 4 billion from television networks whether there is a season or not. The owners were prepared years ago for this, and we all know the career span of a player is much briefer than front office personnel/ownership. It's the players that will wind up giving concessions for the simple reason the owners don't have to. They can afford to wait it out while the average player loses a lot more.

timalfrey311

Liked Posts:
i thought they played the game for loving the sport...dont get me wrong they put their bodies on the line and lifes at stake...they diserve to get paid...but they need to negotiate...if it was me...yea i would wat 2 million a season...but to take a pay cut so you still get more then nothing?!? Workin at a dead end job making shit for money sucks (my situation)...but its better then sittin on my couch making no money...i dont see the issues getting solved in saturdays meeting...but maybe they can break the ice a little bit...they can pull a Obama...sit back...talk...with a nice cold one...if that happens count me in haha

Jysen

I Want To Believe...
Donator
Liked Posts:
This is one of the main reasons why I can understand the majority out here in Ky perfer College vs Professional. Its really disgusting when the sports we love are always tainted by jackasses and situations like this. Greed breeds more greed. This may get settled without it affecting the new season. But at some point, its going to derail and the depressing part is it'll hurt only the Players and Fans while those rich pricks lust over making more money than they'd ever need.

Sunbiz1

Liked Posts:
Do you honestly let "labor unrest" destroy your enjoyment of watching a football game?

To me, who cares? As long as they are playing football in September, I couldn't care less what happens in the off-season. The NFL players risk their bodies and health. The owners risk their wallets. Which is more important? You decide.

"The public doesn't want to hear players whine about being treated fairly. Unfair in today's economy is a working family wondering where the grocery or rent money will come from after the job loss of a parent."

"So that means basically they want me to buy my own breakfast and lunch, pay for airfare to games, the hotel, pay for my shoes. That's about 18 percent. Do you pay for your pad and pens?'' Bears kicker Robbie Gould, the team's player representative, asked over the phone as he was snowed in in Chicago.

"We're not asking for any more but we're not going to take any less,'' Gould said. "Fans don't want to see millionaires fighting billionaires. We want to play too. But given the circumstances the NFL is completely out of line.''

It's easy to see Gould's point. But it's a hard sell because nobody on either side is getting poor.

NFL labor: Players have more to lose than owners in labor squabble - chicagotribune.com