NFL Draft Preview 2015: CB Trae Waynes

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/nfl-draft-preview-2015-cb-trae-waynes/

Pros

With today’s NFL game being pass oriented, corners like Waynes are extremely valuable. Waynes is a big corner in terms of height (6’0″, 186 lbs), and his size is well represented in the way he plays. This is a physical corner that has no fear of hitting opposing players and getting his hands on opposing receivers. Waynes flourishes as a man-to-man corner due to the fact he played a lot of press man in college under defensive coordinator Pat Narduzzi. Rarely do you see this kid give an inch when it’s one on one; he does a tremendous job of mirroring defenders and using his speed to run stride for stride. As we saw at the Combine, Waynes can fly. He ran the best 40 time of any defensive back last weekend, clocking in at a 4.31 official time.

The former Spartan also understands how to use that speed to finish plays. Getting out of his backpedal, Waynes knows how to close and break on the football. This ability shows he can anticipate routes thanks to superb play-recognition skills. Again, playing under one of the finest defensive coaches in the nation in Narduzzi (now the head coach at Pittsburgh) cannot be emphasized enough. What you have to love most about Waynes’s game is his ball skills—he just has a knack for finding the football in the air and being in the right place to make a play. That’s the kind of reputation you want to have going into the next level. If you get the chance, watch what Waynes did against Penn State this year. I think the footage from that game is a good representation of what he brings to the table.

Cons

Sometimes Waynes’s physicality gets him in trouble and leads to holding or pass interference. However, this might be expected for a corner who played as much man coverage as he was asked to at MSU. While he looked fine in zone when he had to play it, there wasn’t a big enough sample size to make a call on that area of his game. Either way, he is going to have to play a lot more zone in the NFL, so he will need to continue to develop in that aspect. Playing against the run could use some work too; Waynes had a hard time shedding blocks on the outside and making open field tackles. At times, he struggled at pursuing the football correctly.

Hbkrusso

Objective Fanboy
Donator
Liked Posts:
im hoping they take this guy I think he would be an excellent corner to match fuller with

in that scenario they might even be able too trade back too 15 ish and still get him but I think this guy will be climbing boards

Liked Posts:
I wouldn't be unhappy if the Bears drafted Waynes assuming the pass rushers they like are off the board. I think he will be a very good player in the NFL

gallagher

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
Williams, Gregory, Fowler, Beasley, and Shelton would all have to be off the board in order for me to consider Waynes, and even then I would have to consider him alongside Dupree and Ray.

Winston, Mariota and Cooper will all be top 5 picks, so it is hard to imagine a realistic scenario that doesnt include trading down where Waynes is the BPA.

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
Williams, Gregory, Fowler, Beasley, and Shelton would all have to be off the board in order for me to consider Waynes, and even then I would have to consider him alongside Dupree and Ray.

Winston, Mariota and Cooper will all be top 5 picks, so it is hard to imagine a realistic scenario that doesnt include trading down where Waynes is the BPA.

Agreed but if you trade down with the intentions of grabbing Waynes, you're really rolling the dice. He could realistically be picked from 8-15. If the Bears want him bad enough, they have to pick him at 7. I think we'll get a better sense of that after free agency. If the Bears drop some sizable money down on a pass rusher, I could see them going with Waynes. I could also see them doubling up and still going with the best pass rusher available.

PolarBear

Liked Posts:
I don't see the Bears selecting Waynes however, I wouldn't be opposed to it. He has the makings of a shutdown corner in this league. His tape is impressive.

The only scenario I could see the Bears passing on top edge rusher or Danny Shelton is if they address those concerns with some solid FA's.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:

Waynes will probably rated top 10 once all is said and done.

So he might be rated by Pace as right there at 7. Then they might have to predict what type of OLB and CB will be available at 7 in the 2nd round and choose to pick at #7 the position that will have a worse player in the 2nd so they can draft the better player in the 2nd.

So long as the Bears pick someone that was predicted by most everyone to go in the top 12, I won't complain about any position. Now someone with a 2nd round grade going at #7 will cause me to think that Pace is playing cute with the draft like Emery did.

Escobar's Army

Liked Posts:
If Marriota falls to 7, it would be great to CLE and PHI in a bidding war for our pick. If we could get CLE's 12 and 19, we could potentially land Dupree and Waynes. I'd take that over any single player we could land at 7 out of Williams.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:

Why has Ray dropped so low? He was rated lower than only Williams and equal to only Fowler before the combine. The doctors didn't allow him to run and now he is lower than a bunch of people? The combine should not drop people.

Svic

Liked Posts:
Why has Ray dropped so low? He was rated lower than only Williams and equal to only Fowler before the combine. The doctors didn't allow him to run and now he is lower than a bunch of people? The combine should not drop people.

Because a lot of pass rushers showed a lot of athleticism and many think that Ray might not be that special.

Alterego

Master Debater
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'm torn because Waynes would be an awesome young tandem with Fuller and it's not a deep draft at CB. OLB on the other hand is pretty damned deep but there's going to be a huge run on them and it may leave us scraping the bottom of the barrel for one in the 2nd. If we could somehow land Waynes in the 1st and someone like Harold in the 2nd, I would be pretty happy about that.

1ke

D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Milwaukee Bucks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
If they can upgrade in FA at other positions..... I wound be delighted with this kid opposite of Kyle.

I know I'm in the minority, but I would take him in a heartbeat. That Pats just showed what two shutdown corners can do for you.

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
If Marriota falls to 7, it would be great to CLE and PHI in a bidding war for our pick. If we could get CLE's 12 and 19, we could potentially land Dupree and Waynes. I'd take that over any single player we could land at 7 out of Williams.

I would rather have a combo of Dupree and Waynes over any "single" player in the entire draft. That includes Williams.

Sagbear

Liked Posts:
I would rather have a combo of Dupree and Waynes over any "single" player in the entire draft. That includes Williams.

If we did trade down and got picks 12 and 19 and ended up with Dupree AND Waynes then that's a great day 1 but i dont see how either player is sitting there at 19.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
Because a lot of pass rushers showed a lot of athleticism and many think that Ray might not be that special.

I will be interested to see how he does at his pro day.

Sagbear

Liked Posts:
Jalen Collins is also shooting up draft boards and is expected to be a mid first round pick.

Chad_Thomas89

BANNED
Liked Posts:
I wouldn't mind taking a chance on Pernell Mcphee and/or Jabaal Sheard and taking Waynes at 7. However, I am completely clueless.