**OFFICAIL** Bears 2024 Regular Season News & Schleisse - FTO Preferred - No ALTS! Derailing Is Discouraged!

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs

“If the Bears trade down from nine, and I mean, really trade down, not just jump down to 11 with Tennessee, but move back at least five or six picks, who might they target?

For this purpose, we are going to assume that all three of the big offensive linemen are off the board (Paris Johnson, Broderick Jones, Peter Skoronski) and I’m going to assume that Jaxon Smith-Njigba is as well. Here are three guys the Bears should look at if they move down to 16 or lower in the draft.

Darnell Wright, Tennessee Tackle
There’s a lot right with Darnell Wright. First of all, he fits the draft profile for Ryan Poles. He’s pretty athletic and has the long arms that Poles loves. He performed quite well at Tennessee last year and if Poles is adamant that Braxton Jones is his left tackle, Wright is a natural right tackle and would almost certainly slide in and start immediately.

Wright did spend some time at left tackle in 2021 but he’s been a starter at Tennessee for multiple years and mostly from the right side. Wright’s tape is a little messy at times, but it made a significant jump in 2022 and you have to wonder if he figured some things out.

Wright is a powerful guy that puts defensive players on their backs (think Teven Jenkins) and seems to be showing improvement in pass protection although he may struggle holding his blocks a bit longer which may be necessary the way Justin Fields plays. Either way, Wright is a guy that could be a definite strong addition to the Bears’ offensive line.

Zay Flowers, Boston College Wide Receiver

Perhaps nobody has risen more on draft boards over the last few months than Zay Flowers. And let me say that I was one of the first people on this bandwagon. I enjoyed taking Flowers regularly in the third or fourth rounds of draft simulations a few months ago, but Flowers has found his way all the way up to the first round in most mocks. Flowers has hands, speed and incredible agility and would be a phenomenal addition to the Bears wide receivers.

Joey Porter Jr., Penn State Cornerback

When you ask draft experts about Joey Porter, Jr the first thing they tell you is how they love his length. Poles could grab Porter and know he has potential to have a true lockdown corner on the roster. Porter is sticky in coverage with great hands and the aforementioned length. He has an NFL pedigree (his father was a former All-Pro) and would give Poles some flexibility in the secondary.

With Porter, Kyler Gordon and Jaylon Johnson they could have an excellent trio in 2023 and if Johnson becomes too expensive for the Bears to re-sign, they would have plenty of control on a rookie deal with Porter and Gordon for two more years and could sign a reasonable veteran corner to round out the secondary. If Johnson is affordable, they could keep him and have an excellent group of corners for multiple years to come.”

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
Why the Bears keep looking at Wide Receivers:

“1. Jaxon Smith-Njigba, Ohio State​

Justin Fields' friend and the player he tabbed as a guy he'd like to see drafted by Chicago was slated for a top-30 visit at Halas Hall according to Ohio State beat writer Dan Hope.

It would seem the only way the Bears would draft him is if linemen on both sides of the ball are gone first for some reason, or if they traded down and found he was the best pick possible when it was time to make a selection.

Smith-Njigba isn't a burner. Varying times at his pro day put him in the 4.5-second range. Yet, he gets open with his route running and is excellent after making the catch. He earned high praise from former teammates as being capable of playing at a level both Chris Olave and Garrett Wilson played at as 2022 rookies.

Guys who set odds in Las Vegas knew the Bears had DJ Moore on their roster but they set the betting line at 5-1 for the Bears drafting Smith-Njigba. That made them the second-best likelihood for Smith-Njigba's future home. These are not people who are about losing money and this line reflects an awful lot of people who are betting it will be Smith-Njigba.

He is an ideal fit as he plays all over the formation, epsecially slot. The Bears have Darnell Mooney for the slot but his contract runs out after this year and if they didn't see him in their future it would make sense drafting Smith-Njigba.

The whole problem with this idea is you have to get past that offense line and defensive line issue the Bears have before they could justify drafting a receiver first. Those are very big stumbling blocks.”

The rest is at the link above.

DrGonzo

Dump VJJ
Donator
Liked Posts:
He is one of the top OL evaluators.

The true pass sets across the entire OL was rough last year. The fatal flaw thing was unexpected, but perhaps the right side helps there.
For a 5th round developmental LT to have played every game the team is either monumentally bad or decimated by injuries, but there it is. He's still a steal even if he gets moved to the other side in 2023 and to swing in 2024.

It is interesting to hear a knowledgeable evaluator talk about technique and mechanics as all we ever hear on CCS is he needs to hit the weight room.

I would love to know what he thinks about the Leatherwood salvage project.

Last edited:

gallagher

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
For a 5th round developmental LT to have played every game the team is either monumentally bad or decimated by injuries, but there it is. He's still a steal even if he gets moved to the other side in 2023 and to swing in 2024.

It is interesting to hear a knowledgeable evaluator talk about technique and mechanics as all we ever hear on CC is he needs to hit the weight room.

I would love to know what he thinks about the Leatherwood salvage project.
Well he does need to hit the weight room, that is where the science happens.

I do like him as a long term prospect, and am not bothered if he were to go in penciled as the starter at either tackle spot, and if he ends up as a swing tackle and opportunistic backup, then that is just fine too. This team has problems with starters AND depth. He certainly wasnt a weak spot in the passing game, but our passing game was limited in part because the line struggled as a unit.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Everyone fell in love with PFF grades, but he has issues in true pass protection. I agree with what he says.
I think it's overstated. How often did he get beat inside where it wasn't the Gs fault for missing a handoff. He's definitely got stuff to fix but he's been athletic enough to compensate. Guys didn't regularly beat him around the edge. He did get walked too much but that description describes what would be speed rushes leaving him behind or on the crossover and getting beat those ways was not common. Small school prospect not being able to fix technical issues? Why not? He's quick, athletic, smart and has the frame to get there.

Doesn't mean he will but that was a very critical review. He was a lot better player at the end of the year than the beginning without the ability for much refinement or weight work during the season grind. Obviously not there yet but that's what development means. We'll know more this year after an offseason with coaching, weight room and developmental reps. Draft may also tell us how that's going.

Last edited:

Chicago4Life

Liked Posts:

“If the Bears trade down from nine, and I mean, really trade down, not just jump down to 11 with Tennessee, but move back at least five or six picks, who might they target?

For this purpose, we are going to assume that all three of the big offensive linemen are off the board (Paris Johnson, Broderick Jones, Peter Skoronski) and I’m going to assume that Jaxon Smith-Njigba is as well. Here are three guys the Bears should look at if they move down to 16 or lower in the draft.

Darnell Wright, Tennessee Tackle
There’s a lot right with Darnell Wright. First of all, he fits the draft profile for Ryan Poles. He’s pretty athletic and has the long arms that Poles loves. He performed quite well at Tennessee last year and if Poles is adamant that Braxton Jones is his left tackle, Wright is a natural right tackle and would almost certainly slide in and start immediately.

Wright did spend some time at left tackle in 2021 but he’s been a starter at Tennessee for multiple years and mostly from the right side. Wright’s tape is a little messy at times, but it made a significant jump in 2022 and you have to wonder if he figured some things out.

Wright is a powerful guy that puts defensive players on their backs (think Teven Jenkins) and seems to be showing improvement in pass protection although he may struggle holding his blocks a bit longer which may be necessary the way Justin Fields plays. Either way, Wright is a guy that could be a definite strong addition to the Bears’ offensive line.

Zay Flowers, Boston College Wide Receiver

Perhaps nobody has risen more on draft boards over the last few months than Zay Flowers. And let me say that I was one of the first people on this bandwagon. I enjoyed taking Flowers regularly in the third or fourth rounds of draft simulations a few months ago, but Flowers has found his way all the way up to the first round in most mocks. Flowers has hands, speed and incredible agility and would be a phenomenal addition to the Bears wide receivers.

Joey Porter Jr., Penn State Cornerback

When you ask draft experts about Joey Porter, Jr the first thing they tell you is how they love his length. Poles could grab Porter and know he has potential to have a true lockdown corner on the roster. Porter is sticky in coverage with great hands and the aforementioned length. He has an NFL pedigree (his father was a former All-Pro) and would give Poles some flexibility in the secondary.

With Porter, Kyler Gordon and Jaylon Johnson they could have an excellent trio in 2023 and if Johnson becomes too expensive for the Bears to re-sign, they would have plenty of control on a rookie deal with Porter and Gordon for two more years and could sign a reasonable veteran corner to round out the secondary. If Johnson is affordable, they could keep him and have an excellent group of corners for multiple years to come.”

def on board with wright as a top trade down option, wouldnt mind flowers but unless its jsn i dont see the bears targeting WR until day 3 as their WR core is pretty solid and there are numerous other holes...i dont think porter jr is a fit for flus and this scheme. porter much like johnson would thrive more in a press man scheme and unless the value of drafting porter is too good to pass i cant see porter jr being a target. i could also see poles dump johnson if a team is willing to meet whatever his price tag is...johnson will be looking for an extension and for a guy that doesnt get turnovers but likely will want top 10 cb money i dont see it happening, this draft is pretty deep for CB's so i wouldnt be surprised by it.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
LCurious what teams would want him
The funny thing is it says they reached out to the Texans. If you were the Texans and have the number to pick in the draft and trade for Mac Jones you might as well just tell your fans we don’t know what we’re doing don’t bother following us.

redgrange19

Eater of Ham
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Interesting ranking from their coach. I still say get JSN this year and whatever it takes for MHJR next year. We get Chiefs or Bengals 2.0 and can score with anyone to win with average "D".

I like that approach, I'm hoping that Carolina pick is low enough to get MHJ or even Joe Alt. Both are generational talents.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Interesting ranking from their coach. I still say get JSN this year and whatever it takes for MHJR next year. We get Chiefs or Bengals 2.0 and can score with anyone to win with average "D".
We would need to have a Mahomes or Burrow in Justin Fields before we can become either team no matter how many weapons we have. Hopefully Fields can show us he has that in him starting this year.