OFFICAIL Hard Knocks IGT

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
It was strange but reallly bot so....becauae that would put the Bears in a bad light....having to cut guys they had in the building; essentially admitting they didn't have the right guys at those positions

Pretty sure every guy they showed being cut (4?) was brought back via PS or picked up by another team 53 (rypien)
Colbert has not signed with a team.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I thought it was a great episode. I need to go back and watch the ending; I liked the song but wasn't as jazzed about the overall ending as others, but honestly towards the end I was pretty mentally exhausted from a long day so I need to go back and watch it. Echoing what others have already posted, there were a lot of other things to like about this episode that have already been listed above.

If I had some small critiques, I have two. I wasn't entirely thrilled with a couple of small instances when the coaches weren't entirely honest about a couple of things. RB Chad Morton telling Velus "We already know you can play receiver" was one. I appreciate him wanting to turn the position change and beating his arms and body are going to take into a positive, but be real man; everyone knows that V12 wasn't making this roster as a receiver. The other moment I had questions was when special teams coach Richard Hightower enthusiastically mentioned that he can return punts or kicks. Maybe he's going off his body of previous work in previous seasons, but if anything this pre-season seemed to suggest that he perhaps wasn't suited for those roles. He almost seemed to be joining in on the coaching enthusiasm because everyone else was. I admit these are subjective interpretations of what I saw and that I could be wrong.

He can play receiver. He just isnt a particularly good one. By contrast Khalil Herbert likely cannot play WR at all. Velus could like have made the team as a WR if his PR skills were bettwe be
What's his value? If teams kick the ball out of the back of the end zone on every play his value is a fourth RB gimmick.

For a team that cares so much about a running backs ability to block (Roschon Johnson) how suddenly is Velus Jones even remotely qualified to block in the passing game?

Suddenly he's a gunner in the punt coverage unit?

Last night as a concentrated effort by your Chicago Bears to justify Velus Jones Jr remaining on the roster at all.

It was the epitome of football propaganda. I'm willing to bet no one called for a trade because if they did they should have put that conversation into the episode instead of just dropping some rumor that someone tried to trade for him.

Velus Jones Jr was the first guy everyone was going to cut and now he's some mythological player who can do all these great things to help the team or had teams clamoring over him in the trade market?

I call bullshit.

Teams get the ball at the 30 if you kick in the end zone. 25 if you kick it outside the end zone. So the incentive is to let guys return it hence why KRs are up.

He was a gunner last year as well. The comment was that he has gotten better at it.

His pass blocking in 5 opportunities graded out at 80.3 so there is no reason to cry about it at this point.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
It's not though. If you'd been paying attention to any of the reporting on this you'd realize that teams are already more than willing to kick it out of the back of the end zone.

And I want you to ask yourself logically, if his trade value is so high right now...... What's more valuable to the Chicago Bears right now, retaining Velus Jones or using his trade value and a draft pick to improve the defensive line depth?

The Bears desperately need better talent on the defensive line.

70% of the 300 kickoffs this preseason were returned. That is the highest rate since 2014.

DanielCCSBears

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
He can play receiver. He just isnt a particularly good one. By contrast Khalil Herbert likely cannot play WR at all. Velus could like have made the team as a WR if his PR skills were bettwe be

Teams get the ball at the 30 if you kick in the end zone. 25 if you kick it outside the end zone. So the incentive is to let guys return it hence why KRs are up.

He was a gunner last year as well. The comment was that he has gotten better at it.

His pass blocking in 5 opportunities graded out at 80.3 so there is no reason to cry about it at this point.
Definitely use preseason data to make your case. While we're at it can we use Justin Fields three touchdown game against the Browns in 2022 where he was 11-15 for 157 yards and 3 touchdowns in one half to conclude Justin Fields will be great? How about his game against the Titans last year 3 completions two touchdowns?

Velus isn't a gunner unless someone dies.

Preseason data is so much fun.

DanielCCSBears

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
70% of the 300 kickoffs this preseason were returned. That is the highest rate since 2014.
The games don't matter so teams are willing to do more and try more in the preseason please try not to use preseason data to come to conclusions of what will happen in the regular season.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Definitely use preseason data to make your case. While we're at it can we use Justin Fields three touchdown game against the Browns in 2022 where he was 11-15 for 157 yards and 3 touchdowns in one half to conclude Justin Fields will be great? How about his game against the Titans last year 3 completions two touchdowns?

Velus isn't a gunner unless someone dies.

Preseason data is so much fun.

Velus played gunner last year.

And yes preseason data is the only data we have. You are just making stuff up. If this holds in the regular season you will just move the goalposts.

You want to do a ban bet that kick returns will be up this year?

The games don't matter so teams are willing to do more and try more in the preseason please try not to use preseason data to come to conclusions of what will happen in the regular season.

You are using no data. Like I said let's make this simple. Will ban bet you kick returns will be up this year.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:

And yes preseason data is the only data we have. You are just making stuff up. If this holds in the regular season you will just move the goalposts.

You are using no data. Like I said let's make this simple. Will ban bet you kick returns will be up this year.
Velus played pretty damn well as a gunner last year if I remember correctly. Not surprised that posters here have to be informed who played what last year, it’s still CCS

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
So he was basically the 75-90 best player on the roster since their entire PS is basically guys they resigned

Or they prefered to go younger ot felt good about the S they do have.

bamainatlanta

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
H

He will always bring up Justin Fields into any argument or discussion. Doesn’t matter the topic or position or even the sport for that matter, he has to bring up Fields.

BaBaBlacksheep

Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Velus played pretty damn well as a gunner last year if I remember correctly. Not surprised that posters here have to be informed who played what last year, it’s still CCS

Please keep the politics out of here!

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
Nah...he said it would take at least a 4th.

The offer was prob peanuts(low 6th/7th round pick). He's trying his hardest to make velus a thing after wasting a high 3rd on him :(

Yeah those high 3rd round bust picks…how embarrassing

DaaBears

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite comments were made by Rypien, especially when he was heading to Minnesota he said he would have loved to be on the Bears, great things going on and the Bears gonna be great.

DanielCCSBears

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Why is he a backup gunner this year if he played so well last year?

bamainatlanta

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Why is he a backup gunner this year if he played so well last year?
If they found a better performer(say an elite gunner) at it, then he wouldn’t be starting. Does this really have to be explained to you?

msadows

Liked Posts:
Does daniel feel like teams will just let other teams start at the 30 rather than play special teams?

Is daniel doing his "im smarter than everyone" thing again?

From what I saw in the preseason teams were not even getting past the 25 on these returns, why would good ST units not use the new rule to their advantage?

I understand if a team has a really good KR, but the majority of teams will still be kicking in the return zone.