***OFFICIAL*** Bears @ 49ers (Week 16) IGT — Bay area edition

mcgrad70

Liked Posts:
You Trubisky apologists tickle me to no end.
He's not a very good QB and you all know it.

Skill, talent and accuracy cannot be coached into someone. He's not going to grow on the job. The Bears are in the playoffs because the defense was able to overcome Trubisky's blatant deficiencies.

I love to know the REAL reason he was drafted that high or at all for that matter.

Either Pace is grossly incompetent or the decision was taken out of his hands. And with Ted Philips running the show, I wouldn't be surprised.

Philips is all about brand.

Missing out on the QB was a generational blunder.

I'm watching two legit QBs on SNF.
Trubisky couldn't tie either of their shoelaces.
Trubisky knows it and so do his apologists.
He's all dink and dunk and misdirection.
Hasn't thrown an accurate deep pass in weeks.
Even if Kevin White had been good, Trubisky can't get the ball to him anyway.

Have it apologists.
I know you will... LOL

Ari Bear

Hall of Famer
Liked Posts:
The Saints have a VERY under-rated defense.
They have a badass D especially at home and they have home field advantage in playoffs.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Ari Bear

Hall of Famer
Liked Posts:

Skill, talent and accuracy cannot be coached into someone. He's not going to grow on the job. The Bears are in the playoffs because the defense was able to overcome Trubisky's blatant deficiencies.

I love to know the REAL reason he was drafted that high or at all for that matter.

Either Pace is grossly incompetent or the decision was taken out of his hands. And with Ted Philips running the show, I wouldn't be surprised.

Have it apologists.
I know you will... LOL
[emoji24]

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

DanTown

Liked Posts:
Then why did we spend all this money on defense?
Instead of running out the clock go for the score. But do that, get the ball punched and people are saying to just go down. Which is it? Offense only has to do what it takes to win.
If you want to be a high scoring team then you need to ignore the defense and focus on building a high scoring team. But then you'll look like the Rams when you meet a defense.

Was 16 and 17 also not enough to win in the post season for '85 Bears?

QB - drafted #2, traded 2 thirds + 4th to get him; paying backup 7M
RB - Cheap (two late round picks)
WR - Robinson and Gabriel were big FA, Miller cost 3rd + 2nd
TE - Burton was a big FA, Sheehan drafted with 2nd, Sims cost a lot
OL - Took Whitehair/Daniels in 2nd round

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
QB - drafted #2, traded 2 thirds + 4th to get him; paying backup 7M
RB - Cheap (two late round picks)
WR - Robinson and Gabriel were big FA, Miller cost 3rd + 2nd
TE - Burton was a big FA, Sheehan drafted with 2nd, Sims cost a lot
OL - Took Whitehair/Daniels in 2nd round

Wait, so because we paid Glennon $18 million you think that equals trying to have an offense?

Gabriel wasn't anything, although he's been much better than expected. Sims isn't shit and has never been shit, see above comment.

Hey, we also have White. We should've just stuck with Glennon and White, we'd be contenders for sure. <- That is basically what you are saying.

Probie2429

Liked Posts:

Have it apologists.
I know you will... LOL

I think all teams are happy with their QB selections.

Trubisky was the greenest QB (drafted in the 1st) in his draft year. Watson had injury concerns (already highlighted by the fact he tore up his knee and likely will do it again) so I can see why the Bears passed on him regardless of his pedigree at Clemson. Mahomes is playing in the perfect offense with the right teacher. You put Mahomes anywhere else, and he isn't half the QB he is right now. Mahomes also benefited by sitting all of last season whereas Mitch was put in a bad situation playing earlier than he was supposed to. Mitch still has warts, but you can see the progression already from the beginning of the year. You have to remember that Mahomes and Watson played nearly 3x as many games at Mitch in college. Mitch has the tools, it will just take longer to polish his game given the lack of reps. Nagy seems to be the right guy for the job, but Mitch won't reach his ceiling for another season or two.

Bottomline is that I think the Bears, Chiefs, and Texans are all happy with their choices.

Kurtosis

Liked Posts:

Have it apologists.
I know you will... LOL

Didn’t he throw an accurate one today? I don’t think this was the game to rag on him either seeing as he completed 86% of his throws for over 8 yards an attempt. That was better than Mahomes tonight actually.

DanTown

Liked Posts:
Wait, so because we paid Glennon $18 million you think that equals trying to have an offense?

Gabriel wasn't anything, although he's been much better than expected. Sims isn't shit and has never been shit, see above comment.

Hey, we also have White. We should've just stuck with Glennon and White, we'd be contenders for sure. <- That is basically what you are saying.

No, i'm saying the Bears spent a lot of capital on the offense, it was just draft capital over financial capital.

The Bears have spent a ton on both sides of the ball because they've been terrible and so that amounts to a lot of high draft picks as well as cap space. If the Bears can't ask one of the 10 highest paid receivers plus a top 3 pick at QB to convert 1-1 coverage into a first down on 3&3 against one of the worst defenses in the league (especially with Sherman out of the game) then they made terrible mistakes with both guys.

DanTown

Liked Posts:
Didn’t he throw an accurate one today? I don’t think this was the game to rag on him either seeing as he completed 86% of his throws for over 8 yards an attempt. That was better than Mahomes tonight actually.

Eh, he also cost the team with a terrible fumble as well as got bailed out by a penalty on one of the worst interceptions you'll ever see.

I tend not to care that much about QB individual stats in evaluating QB because this isn't fantasy football. By most advanced metrics, the Bears offense is below average. I mean did Mitch play well? If that's the case, how did they only score 14 points? Even giving them 3 on the Parkey kick, I just think there are some key plays on a lot of drives that left points on the board.

I don't think he played that poorly but for people to champion Mitch's stats today as some "he played some great game" is a weird idea. On at least two occassions, I think Mitch would have done better to just throw it away than to take a sack and yet those throw aways would hurt his numbers but make him play better.

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
No, i'm saying the Bears spent a lot of capital on the offense, it was just draft capital over financial capital.

The Bears have spent a ton on both sides of the ball because they've been terrible and so that amounts to a lot of high draft picks as well as cap space. If the Bears can't ask one of the 10 highest paid receivers plus a top 3 pick at QB to convert 1-1 coverage into a first down on 3&3 against one of the worst defenses in the league (especially with Sherman out of the game) then they made terrible mistakes with both guys.

Yes the Bears are pretty evenly spread. So you can't expect one side to be greater than the other just because you want it. We've hit on making the defense great again better than we've hit on offense, we've tried harder on defense. 14 points had better be enough because we have that defense. Otherwise would could've ignored making the top 10 defense better and put it all into offense.

Part of getting 14 points is knowing we only need 14 points because of that defense.
(And part of it is Pace doing stupid stuff other than trying to run out the game instead of scoring with less than a one score lead. No backwards throw and we probably have 21 points.)

Kurtosis

Liked Posts:
Eh, he also cost the team with a terrible fumble as well as got bailed out by a penalty on one of the worst interceptions you'll ever see.

I tend not to care that much about QB individual stats in evaluating QB because this isn't fantasy football. By most advanced metrics, the Bears offense is below average. I mean did Mitch play well? If that's the case, how did they only score 14 points? Even giving them 3 on the Parkey kick, I just think there are some key plays on a lot of drives that left points on the board.

I don't think he played that poorly but for people to champion Mitch's stats today as some "he played some great game" is a weird idea. On at least two occassions, I think Mitch would have done better to just throw it away than to take a sack and yet those throw aways would hurt his numbers but make him play better.

What were the key plays?

It doesn’t seem like they had a lot of drives anyway. The only really bad play was the pitch in my estimation. I didn’t really see the opportunity for him to throw the ball away on the plays he got sacked that you did.