Official Chicago Cubs Prospect Discussion Thread Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

cubsneedmiracle

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
i know u guys are telling yourselves they arent cheap but everything the Cubs have done since Ricketts took over has shown they are cheap... For goodness sake they had defered Pena on a 1 year deal. People have told me i am nuts for wanting Cubs to spend money but look at PHI and BOS...they will have over 150 mil payrolls. Why cant the Cubs? They are in bigger market then those 2.

Stop this Ricketts cheap bullshit now.

We are spending more in developing our younger players than ever before..

It's not a directive from Mr. Ricketts that we underspend on a 1st round pick.

It's Wilken's call on who we draft. He must have seen something on this kid.

cubsneedmiracle

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
i love how a guy who just pitched in Division 2 is know our 5th best prospect. I want to see him in pro ball before we judge

7th......

With that logic.. Why couldn't someone we drafted out of high school be a top prospect then?

Wouldn't they be more raw?

waldo7239117

Driving Wreckless DA Best
Donator
Liked Posts:
Could we see Marwin Gonzalez make the Cubs next year or out of ST??

He's hitting .444 in the Winter league, with a .667 OBP. He's also only 21.

Gonzalez's natural position is SS, but he's also a good amount of time at 3B and 2B.

2nd base could be set right now, but if he has a strong ST, don't be surprise if he takes over at 2B. Also, if needed, the Cubs could find takers for DeWitt and/or Baker.

Then, with Ramirez in his last year of his contract and the Cubs fall out of contention, the Cubs could trade him and maybe Gonzalez could take over at 3B. The Cubs really don't have a back-up option when Ramirez's gone. With Vitters looking more like a dud as each season goes.

I think if he plays like he's playing in the WL, I think he has a shot to make the team sometime next year. But I still think he needs time in the minors, just like Castro last year. Since the Cubs have Castro at SS for a long time, could the Cubs have told them to play Gonzalez at 3B and 2B more than SS?? That could be a strong possibility.

Also as a 21 year old, he's already in Double A and coming up fast. Could the Cubs double play combo be the youngest in the league with 2 21 year olds? IDK but that could be pretty sweet. Then when Lee is ready (he will evenutally), move Gonzalez to 3B and that would be even cooler. Lee could be ready this year, if he has a good half a year in the minors, the Cubs coaching staff said he's on Castro's path.

If Gonzalez plays like he's playing now and the same with a little bit in the minors and outduels the Cubs 2B right now, Call him up! Then if the Cubs are out and trade Ramirez, move Gonzalez to 3B and maybe Lee will be ready in July to be called up.

1B: Pena
2B: Castro
SS: Lee
3B: Gonzalez

If Pena is having a good year, sign him to an extension and don't waste 100M+ on Fielder because it ain't worth it. But this is all a dream scenario.

I would then try and trade DeWitt and/or Baker. Maybe pair them up with another player (Ramirez, Kosuke, etc)

Like I said, I'm just dreaming! LOL!!

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
Never even gave M-Gonzalez a thought before. Maybe, but remember that it is just Liga Mexicana del Pacifico, the highest offseason league in Mexico, but not near the quality of other Caribbean Series participants, like Puerto Rico, Venezuela, and the Dominican Republic.

waldo7239117

Donator
Liked Posts:
I know but it's still a good thought that the Cubs could have a replacement when Ramirez leaves.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
Rami has a full no-trade clause IIRC. Would he really leave since the decision comes down to him?

waldo7239117

Donator
Liked Posts:
Rami has a full no-trade clause IIRC. Would he really leave since the decision comes down to him?

To win, yes. Teams that are going to make the playoffs that need a 3B or need a DH, can use him. Maybe the Yanks, Phills and Rangers could use him. I think any team could find a way to use him.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
if the cubs can get him to waive the ntc, that would be huge. what a waste of money, use the spects in 2011.

Captain Obvious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
if the cubs can get him to waive the ntc, that would be huge. what a waste of money, use the spects in 2011.

I would put the likelihood that he gets traded at about 2%. If he does, next year's 16 MM option becomes guaranteed. He could void it, but by doing so he gives us the 2 MM in his buyout. I don't see that happening at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.