*OFFICIAL* Offseason Rumors, Signings, and Shenanigans

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
When he said "this is my last job" it was his way of saying "I plan to succeed and be here a long time".

As opposed to being Jim Harbaugh and telling recruits "I am looking to go to the NFL".
Ok ... let's look at what you said with a critical eye and also look at it outside of a vacuum, dealing with the real world.

But first, an example.

Since you brought up Harbaugh, let's create a story for him.

Harbaugh was successful as a college coach, went to the 49ers and made them a successful NFL team, he lost a power struggle with the GM Baalke and was "mutually agreed to part ways" by the 49ers (he was fired) on December 28th, 2014. On December 30th (two days later), he became the HC of Michigan. These are all facts, now comes the story.

If, on December 30th, Harbaugh said that "this is going to be my final job", do you really think that it was his way of saying that he was going to be there for a long time or that he was saying that the NFL had fucked him over and that he was going to end his coaching career at his alma mater, win lose or draw?

Which one seems more likely?

But let's move on to Lovie and his real situation.

Lovie had a very good go at it as the Bears HC. He lost his job because he could not get the Bears a Super Bowl championship. Sadly, that happens (think Tony Dungy and his 10-6 1997 season).

He was horrible in Tampa for 2 seasons with an 8-24 record and was fired on January 6th, 2016.

He was hired by Illinois on March 7th, 2016 (2 months after getting fired). Consider his mindset when making his statement of "this will be my last job". He had just been fired for doing a horrible coaching job in Tampa and surprisingly got a college HC job within 2 months.

Is it not possible for Lovie to feel that he was at the end of his career, having just gotten fired?

But let's look at two final things.

This is my final job.

We will soon be a top 20 team and eventually we will be knocking down the door and invade the college football championship.

Which one of the two do you truly feel inspired by?

Please find another coach who tried to inspire players by using
this is my final job.

If it is so inspiring, lot's of other coaches must have used it.

The following site had 114 inspirational quotes and Lovie's was not in there.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
Yes they did. By your own logic they signed him to a long term deal but then fired him before that deal was finished. So they lied about the commitment they were making to him.
My God, you are a fucking idiot.

Using logic that is beyond your shit-for-brains, Lovie broke the contract of having a winning team at Illinois first so they had every right to fire him. Do you honestly think that anybody who is hired anywhere in the world has job security if they do a crappy job? He was so bad, the Bucs and the Illini paid him to go away.

Knowing that you are going to spew more shit, because you cannot physically stop yourself from stopping yourself ... ever, I am putting you on ignore.

Sadly, you are a good poster, if you could keep yourself from wanting to win every single argument. Once you start doing that ... with everybody ... you are no longer worth reading.

Maybe you can learn to end every argument after it has gone one full page?

At least think about it. I don't care. I won't be reading.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
@JoJoBoxer i don’t understand why you were get upset lol. Tbh you were kind of white knighting for Mccown and how the Texans operated their search.
I was not white-knighting for anyone.

Perhaps, you can say that I was white-knighting falsity of the idea that lots of coaching experience is the end all be all of being a successful HC. I even gave Marinelli and his 10 years of coaching experience that let to one of the few 0-16 teams in NFL history.

Not every coach was made to be a head coach. There is no shame in a coach being one of the best at his position (D line for Marinelli, DC for Fangio).

Seeing the kind of person that McCown was in Chicago, maybe he has the people skills that were missing in lots of other coaches to be a successful HC. Now I am not white-knighting McCown, but rather I am giving an example of someone who might have some critical skills necessary. Advanced people skills can be found in other candidates and if it comes with coaching experience, it would be ideal.

Those skills are what I believe that Josh McDaniels does not have and I believe that he is going to have a shorter HC stay in Las Vegas because of that.

I honestly thought way different than most everybody in regards to the Texans HC position. I thought that the NFL would push the Texans to hire Brian Flores. That way, they could say that the lawsuit was silly because, after all, Flores was hired, "proving" that the NFL does not have racist policies.

Forcing a HC on the Texans to diminish any chance of some huge settlement in the future would be very much like the NFL.

I just thought that the McCown interview was to have a token white guy interview (Flores and Lovie were the other 2 candidates) to fill the George Preston Marshall rule.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
While he seems to have a lot of experience, kinda concerned that he hasn't coached since 2019. Although again, it's just RB position coach and he does have a lot of experience
I don’t know anything about the guy other than what we’ve read in the last 48 hours. But can someone explain to me why we think he no longer can coach football because he took three years off?

Do people really think there’s been some significant change to the game of football from 2019 to 2022 that will render a coach useless because of a short time away?

TL1961

Liked Posts:

Using logic that is beyond your shit-for-brains, Lovie broke the contract of having a winning team at Illinois first so they had every right to fire him. Do you honestly think that anybody who is hired anywhere in the world has job security if they do a crappy job? He was so bad, the Bucs and the Illini paid him to go away.

Knowing that you are going to spew more shit, because you cannot physically stop yourself from stopping yourself ... ever, I am putting you on ignore.

Sadly, you are a good poster, if you could keep yourself from wanting to win every single argument. Once you start doing that ... with everybody ... you are no longer worth reading.

So when you see a team sign a coach to a five year contract you take that as a solemn vow that they will not terminate the coach prior to five years?

If that were really the case then why does the contract include provisions for what the coach is to be paid if he does not last the length of the contract?

It is built right into the language as to the buyout if they terminate him. It’s not a fucking wedding vow. The length of the contract simply states how long they are obligated to pay him not how long they are obligated to keep him on the sideline.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
So when you see a team sign a coach to a five year contract you take that as a solemn vow that they will not terminate the coach prior to five years?

If that were really the case then why does the contract include provisions for what the coach is to be paid if he does not last the length of the contract?

It is built right into the language as to the buyout if they terminate him. It’s not a fucking wedding vow. The length of the contract simply states how long they are obligated to pay him not how long they are obligated to keep him on the sideline.
Reading is fundamental.

It was Remy who tried to say that I was saying that the Illini lied to Lovie when they fired him before the 6 year contract was over. This is one of Remy's little tricks. He argues over the slightest thing that might be inferred. If he continues losing, he just makes up shit.

Can you honest say everything you just said AFTER reading the 2nd paragraph that I wrote and you quoted?

Here it is so you don't have the excuse of not having the energy to go look for it.

Please tell me where, in that paragraph, I wrote anything about the Illini being forced to keep him for the length of the contract.

And by the way, it IS like a wedding vow. Have you ever heard of the word divorce?

Luke

Liked Posts:
does anyone have access to theathletic?

Hey Adam, Ryan Poles mentions that he believes in the second and third waves of free agency. Do you believe the new GM will make any splash signings? If you do, are there any names you have penciled in for a big deal? — Sam S.

Well, if you believe what Poles is saying, there won’t be any “splash” signings for the Bears. For those unfamiliar, here’s what Poles said to a small group of reporters after his introductory news conference:

“Be selective in free agency. (It’s) really attacking that second and third wave of free agency, where you can get good value, and the beautiful thing is you get players that are highly motivated in that area. I think we could all agree if you get thrown $100 million, it takes a special human to show up in a physical game and put the work in to be great. So there’s a ton of value there.”

In other words, I wouldn’t pencil any names in for a big deal. Plenty of teams operate this way, though. Former Bears GM Ryan Pace tried to stay out of what he once called the “treacherous waters” of free agency. All it takes is one more team to drive up the price on a player’s contract, including in the second and third waves of free agency. Pace often set price parameters. If negotiations went outside them, he would back off, but there were always exceptions — Mike Glennon, for example.

With Poles, it will be interesting to see how he operates when agents play hardball. That said, who will be negotiating contracts for him? Pace brought Joey Laine, the team’s director of football administration, along with him from New Orleans. Laine is the Bears’ chief negotiator, and he’s still listed on the Bears’ website.

Just read Sheil Kapadia’s free-agency rankings and a few names stick out as ideal targets for the Bears. Is there anybody on Sheil’s list that could realistically be a target for Ryan Poles? — Robert K.

Let’s use Kapadia’s top-75 list to identify some possibilities in those second and third tiers of free agency and make a list based on obvious positional needs:

No. 45: Michael Gallup, WR, Cowboys: “Gallup projects as a field-stretching, outside starting wide receiver. Given that he’s coming off of a late-season injury, it’s tough to know how much interest Gallup will generate.”

No. 49: Stephon Gilmore, CB, Panthers: “Janoris Jenkins got a two-year, $15 million deal from the Tennessee Titans. That could be the type of deal Gilmore can expect.”

No. 50: Morgan Moses, OT, Jets: “At 31, Moses’ best days are probably behind him, but he can still be a solid starter. Daryl Williams got $8 million per year from the Buffalo Bills last offseason, and Riley Reiff signed with the Cincinnati Bengals for $7.5 million. Those could be reasonable comps for Moses.”

No. 55: Marquez Valdes-Scantling, WR, Packers: “He will interest teams looking to fill a very specific role: field-stretching deep threat. Valdes-Scantling has averaged a league-high 18.5 yards per reception over the past three seasons.”

No. 58: Ben Jones, C, Titans: “Jones will be an attractive option for teams that are looking for a reliable veteran center.”

No. 59: B.J. Hill, DT, Bengals: “Hill has been a rotational player (he played 47 percent of the snaps during the regular season), but a team could peg him for an expanded role.”

No. 63: Kyzir White, LB, Chargers: “A converted safety, White has a skill set that fits well in the modern NFL.”

Two fill-in-the-blank questions:

The Bears’ top priority in free agency is_____
The Bears’ top priority in the draft is______
— Andrew S.

The Bears’ top priority in free agency is wide receiver. The Bears’ top priority in the draft is the offensive line.

What should be Poles’ primary concern to address in the draft? Difference in what he will prioritize in free agency? — Henry Y.

In the same small group with reporters, Poles listed the positions he’d target when it came to building his team.

“You always want to prioritize from, really historically, what the supply and demand is,” he said. “Obviously, it starts with a quarterback. Your tackles, your pass rush, your corners, your three-down linebackers and then your free safety.”

You could argue that Poles is in a good place to start with a quarterback (Justin Fields), one offensive tackle spot (Teven Jenkins), two pass rushers (Khalil Mack and Robert Quinn), one cornerback (Jaylon Johnson), one three-down linebacker (Roquan Smith) and a free safety (Eddie Jackson) in place for the 2022 season. Of course, all of those players —especially Jackson — will have to win over Poles and new coach Matt Eberflus. The team can also get out of Mack’s and Quinn’s contracts after the 2022 season.

“So really having a plan in terms of what the most important pieces are and how hard they are to get them, you can identify them and you got to get them,” Poles said. “So that’s how we’re going to build is just identifying those position groups and making sure that those are the emphasis, but we all know that that doesn’t mean that they’re always going to be sitting there waiting for us, so we might have to maneuver around and go with different positions. But that’s an emphasis on how to build it.”

It was interesting to see that receiver was left out of Poles’ list. It’s typically viewed as a premier position that needs to be invested in often.

That said, it’s a position that can be overhauled quickly. Pace believed that and executed a plan for it in 2018. He signed Allen Robinson and Taylor Gabriel in free agency and drafted Anthony Miller in the second round.

Adam, has there been much talk about how Ryan Poles is the first African American GM in the Bears’ 102-plus year history? It means quite a bit to the Black fan base here in Chicago, what does that mean for the Bears organization? — Sid K.

There hasn’t been enough talk about it. So let’s highlight how the Bears’ simultaneous general manager and coach searches operated. Chairman George McCaskey not only wanted expansive searches, but he expanded his search committee to include senior vice president of diversity, equity and inclusion Tanesha Wade and vice president of player engagement LaMar “Soup” Campbell.

McCaskey also is on the NFL’s workplace diversity committee.

Wade and Campbell actively participated in every interview for head coach and GM. Campbell served as an extension of the locker room, while Wade has an integral role in the Bears’ operations at Halas Hall.

“She is involved in all of our hirings,” McCaskey said on Jan. 10. “These are the most significant hires we make. Diversity is a critical part of the process. We are committed to providing a fair opportunity throughout the process to people of color.”

The Bears interviewed 13 candidates for GM, including seven Black candidates: Poles, Glenn Cook, Kwesi Adofo-Mensah, Champ Kelly, Ran Carthon, Reggie McKenzie and Morocco Brown. Omar Khan, the Steelers’ vice president of football and business administration, also interviewed. Khan is of Indian and Honduran descent.

As for the 10 candidates for head coach, five Black coaches were interviewed: Brian Flores, Jim Caldwell, Byron Leftwich, Leslie Frazier and Todd Bowles. Caldwell was a finalist.

I want to highlight Rod Graves, too. His official title with the Bears was director of player personnel from 1994 to 1996. But he was the team’s de facto GM when Dave Wannstedt was the Bears’ coach.

Graves began his Bears career as an area scout in 1984. He was promoted to director of college scouting in 1993, then to director of player personnel in the following year.

Graves left the Bears in 1997 for the Cardinals, where he was an assistant to the president, vice president of football operations and later general manager. In 2019, Graves joined the Fritz Pollard Alliance, which is named after the NFL’s first Black head coach, as its executive director.

McCaskey, though, recognized the significance of hiring the Bears’ first Black GM when he met the media on Jan. 31. The Bears currently have a Black GM (Poles), a Black assistant GM (Ian Cunningham), a Black defensive coordinator (Alan Williams), a Black special-teams coordinator (Richard Hightower) and a Black starting quarterback (Fields).

“I thought (Wade and Campbell) were both terrific,” McCaskey said. “(I’m) very glad we had them both a part of the process. We wanted to have a diverse field of candidates, and give as many candidates as possible a full, open and complete opportunity to present their credentials to us. (I’m) very pleased with the result.”

Hello Adam. The Bears have filled virtually every key, off-the-field position with a person promoted from a lesser position. Poles, Cunningham, Eberflus, Getsy and Williams all are doing their jobs for the first time. Do you have any comparative situations around the league where this sort of universal positional inexperience has worked? — Jeffery M.

Hey Adam. I’ve been following along with the Bears coaching hires and want to get your take on how you feel the coaching staff has rounded out. Articles I’ve read from other sources seem to be quite happy with the hires, but looking for your take here. — Channing K.

Of the coaching hires other than Eberflus, which stands out to you the most in a positive way? — Rob F.

The hirings of Getsy and Hightower — whose unit delivered a blocked punt for a touchdown in the 49ers’ divisional-round win over the Packers in the playoffs — generated the most fanfare.
Eberflus’ ability to bring four assistants from the Colts — defensive coordinator Alan Williams, linebackers coach Dave Borgonzi, defensive backs coach James Rowe and assistant defensive backs coach David
Overstreet II — should be viewed as a positive, too.

It separates him from former coach Matt Nagy, who didn’t bring a single assistant with him from Kansas City after he was hired in 2018. But Eberfus’ staff hires aren’t too different than what Marc Trestman and John Fox did in 2013 and 2015, respectively.

Here’s a look at the coaches they brought with them from the Montreal Alouettes and the Broncos.

Marc Trestman assistants
COACHALOUETTES POSITIONBEARS POSITIONTHIS CYCLE
Andy BischoffRBs coach/special teams coordinator/asst. to head coachTight ends coachHired as Giants TEs coach
Pat MeyerOffensive coordinator/offensive line coachAssistant offensive line coachFired as Panthers OL coach
Michael SinclairDefensive line coachDefensive line coachN/A
Carson WalchReceivers coachOffensive quality controlCurrent Browns player development coordinator
Brendan NugentSpecial teams assisant/offensive quality controlOffensive quality controlCurrent Saints OL coach
Overall, Trestman’s staff was praised for its experience, especially with special-teams coordinator Joe DeCamillis, offensive coordinator/line coach Aaron Kromer and defensive coordinator Mel Tucker.

But what I’ll remember most from their tenures is that Tucker fielded statistically the two worst defenses in team history and that Kromer was revealed to be a source behind a critical report about quarterback Jay Cutler from the NFL Network.

John Fox assistants
COACHBRONCOS POSITIONBEARS POSITIONTHIS CYCLE
Adam GaseOffensive coordinatorOffensive coordinatorN/A
Jeff RodgersSpecial teams coordinatorSpecial teams coordinatorCurrent Cardinals asst. head coach/ST coordinator
Dave MagazuOffensive line coachOffensive line coach(Died on Dec. 17)
Jay RodgersDefensive line coachDefensive line coachCurrent Chargers OLBs coach
Sam GarnesAssistant secondary coachAssistant secondary coachN/A
Bo HardegreeOffensive quality controlOffensive assistantHired as Raiders QBs coach
Fox had the reputation of building a capable coaching staff, and he partially delivered. Adam Gase went through the head-coaching circuit before joining the Bears. He then buoyed his success with Cutler in 2015 — which included Cutler’s career-best 92.3 passer rating — into the Dolphins’ head job.

Hiring Vic Fangio as the Bears’ defensive coordinator was a great move by Fox. But Fangio’s defense had its best season during the 2018 season for Nagy, not Fox.

That said, it takes good players to win. Coaches certainly play a role in their development, but good players can also make those same coaches look better than they are. They turn coaches into candidates for other jobs. Just look at the Patriots over the years. Good coaches such as Fangio can become great ones, too. He turned the defense’s success in 2018 into the Broncos’ head job.

Hey Adam. Do you think a Khalil Mack trade is realistic, and if it is, is it something they should do? The cap savings isn’t anything major for this year, but would the potential return be worth it? — Terry G.

If I’m reading Mack’s contract details correctly on Spotrac, trading him would leave considerable dead money on the Bears’ books. Also, what exactly is Mack’s trade value at this point? Mack has the name recognition, but he appeared in only seven games last season. He’s dealt with different ailments over the past couple of years, and the league knows it. He also turns 31 later this month.

The trade optimist will point to Von Miller’s trade to the Rams. But Miller’s durability questions aren’t the same as Mack’s are. There also aren’t many teams that operate like the Rams, if any. Trading Mack would require good compensation from a team that’s pushed all of its chips in.

I also believe Eberflus is intrigued by what his pass rush can be with a healthy Mack and Robert Quinn coming off the edges. It’s a pairing that might only last one season for him. It’s a position that needs to get younger. But it can still be a fearsome, dominant one for the first-year coach.

Hola Adam. What are your thoughts on the Bears coaching staff and do you think the Giants have a better coaching team set up, all around? Teams did not follow the same formula as Trubisky with keeping DeFilippo as QB coach and highly respected targets like Marinelli, Bisaccia seem to have been attracted to other projects. — Pierre C.

When it comes to comparisons, a new team seemingly emerges every year for the Bears because of different circumstances. In recent years, it has been the 49ers because of the trade up for Mitch Trubisky and then the Chiefs because of their selection of Patrick Mahomes and Nagy’s arrival in Chicago.

Now, it’s the Giants, who hired Brian Daboll as their coach and Joe Schoen as their GM. Both were candidates for the Bears’ openings after their success in Buffalo.

To me, it goes back to quarterback. Daboll was an attractive candidate because of the role he had in the development of Bills quarterback Josh Allen over their four seasons together. Daboll, though, wasn’t a finalist for the Bears’ job.

The Bears went in a completely different direction with Eberflus. That’s not to say they’re wrong. It all depends on what Eberflus and Poles do to help develop Fields and build around him. At this point, I’d take the Eberflus pairing with Fields — with the help of Getsy — over Daboll and Daniel Jones.

Why? It’s because I’d rather start with Fields in the second year of his rookie deal over Jones, who is entering his fourth and has a fifth-year option to consider.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

Please specify where in Lovie's contract he guaranteed a winning team? Again your argument is that a guy being fired prior to the end of his contract means he broke his vow that Illinois would be his last job. I am saying by that logic Illinois broke their vow first by terminating the contract and firing him.

I just thought that the McCown interview was to have a token white guy interview (Flores and Lovie were the other 2 candidates) to fill the George Preston Marshall rule.

This is incorrect. Jonathan Gannon who is white was also a finalist. They also interviewed McCown last year while he was still signed as the 3rd string QB on the team.

Reading is fundamental.

It was Remy who tried to say that I was saying that the Illini lied to Lovie when they fired him before the 6 year contract was over. This is one of Remy's little tricks. He argues over the slightest thing that might be inferred. If he continues losing, he just makes up shit.

Can you honest say everything you just said AFTER reading the 2nd paragraph that I wrote and you quoted?

Here it is so you don't have the excuse of not having the energy to go look for it.

Please tell me where, in that paragraph, I wrote anything about the Illini being forced to keep him for the length of the contract.

And by the way, it IS like a wedding vow. Have you ever heard of the word divorce?

I believe what TL and I are both point out is that statements and agreements are made based on certain assumptions. When Illinois gave Lovie a contract and when he said this will be my final job both assumed he would be successful and thus coach at Illinois for a long time. When Illinois decided to fire him then Lovie reassessed which is his right. So it was not a lie because a lie is an attempt to deceive. At the time Lovie made the statement he thought it would be the truth so he was not attempting to lie.

It would be one thing if he made that statement and then left Illinois of his own accord. But he was fired. Hence you argument was time and my claim of Illinois lying was to illustrate the stupidity of your argument.

Last edited:

Nelly

Liked Posts:
This is what I care about:
One could make the argument the Bears would have been better suited to hire an offensive-minded head coach with the development of Justin Fields at the forefront of their thought process, but hiring coaches based on offensive/defensive philosophies often backfires. Matt Eberflus is an excellent leader of men who should quickly establish a strong culture change in Chicago after Matt Nagy’s disappointing tenure set the franchise back.
A head coach needs to be a leader and administrator first, detail guy on a given side of the ball second (or maybe 3rd). Sounds like Eberflus has some of that in him based on his reputation but we'll find out.

Last edited:

pseudonym

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
About the ROONEY RULE:

If we're not going to penalize for not hiring Black coaches, how about we reward FOR minority hires? XX number/level of coaches, there is a value assigned, based on the number/level of the coach, and that allows you either (1.) extra draft picks (2.) an expanded cap. The racist owners are just going to find loopholes and exploit the Rooney rule, bring in token interviews, like Texas just did. The teams that actually address it. Maybe if you have a Black GM/MC you get an extra 1st round pick and $5 million extra in cap. And then that scales down for other minority coaches, with lower picks. Thoughts?