*OFFICIAL* Offseason Rumors, Signings, and Shenanigans

dennehy

Liked Posts:
If you project him at say 3 years and 18 million so 6 mil a year then you can just put 9m guaranteed salary on 10m total first year salary. So first year cap hit is still 10m and then when you convert to SB it becomes 4m. You are right Bates doesn't make enough to blow Buffalo's budget. All you can do is force them to have to come up with the 10m and see if they wish to go down that road.

From what I understand you can't change the terms of an offer sheet because that requires the player to agree and sign on to new terms which means you had no intent to fulfill the original terms. This loophole is the fact that most contracts already have an automatic conversion feature that does not require agreement with the player after he signs. So technically you would not be changing the offer sheet or the terms. You would be exercising a conversion feature already in the contract and is not actually something unique to this contract as most teams have them now as the PFF article I linked noted this was done in Eddie Jackson's contract. So the Bills would not be able to argue this was a poison pill meant for them since it is largely standard.
I couldn't find if teams are allowed to restructure in the same year the original contract is signed. I've never heard of that happening so I'm not sure.

Also not sure why the Bills couldn't simply match and restructure if that is legal.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Comp picks go to the team that loses a player not the one that acquires them.

The comp pick formula is net ie comp pick free agents gains less comp pick free agents lost. So @Chicagosports89 was asking if the a RFA counts in the comp pick formula and the answer is no. Only UFA count as the logic is the team that holds the rights to a RFA had the chance to keep him by tendering him and getting a pick back if they tendered him high enough. So there would be no need to compensate them if they chose to forgo that chance.

Last edited:

pdxbearsfan

Liked Posts:
It's literally this simple..

Bates now has his next contract in writing (the Bears offer sheet is the contract terms). The only thing that matters is what team he will be playing for on that contract, the Bears or the Bills.
Yes, many have asked questions and I gave the same answer.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I couldn't find if teams are allowed to restructure in the same year the original contract is signed. I've never heard of that happening so I'm not sure.

Also not sure why the Bills couldn't simply match and restructure if that is legal.

I feel like the Bears did it once maybe with Mack's contract but would have to check.

The Bills would be able to match and restructure afterwards. The point is they would have to find the initial 10m in cap roof first as you have to match the original terms. The issue is that if you are trying to clearly space then you would have to cut, or restructure someone and then you can't uncut or unrestructure them after. The cut player now is a FA and you convert convert to SB and then convert back to salary. So they would have to make moves they can't easily undo to match.

pdxbearsfan

Liked Posts:
Yeah, that does strike as an overpay. The assumption has to be that he will produce more given more opportunity (ie not playing behind Adams or Hill) and that he is already adjusted to the speed of the NFL.

But in looking at his stats, a 1st round rookie WR could/should put up at least the stats MVS has in a given year.

MVS stats:
View attachment 18370
He is very fast but drops lots and lots of balls.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
I feel like the Bears did it once maybe with Mack's contract but would have to check.

The Bills would be able to match and restructure afterwards. The point is they would have to find the initial 10m in cap roof first as you have to match the original terms. The issue is that if you are trying to clearly space then you would have to cut, or restructure someone and then you can't uncut or unrestructure them after. The cut player now is a FA and you convert convert to SB and then convert back to salary. So they would have to make moves they can't easily undo to match.
The Bears redid Mack's deal, but not in the same year they traded for and signed him. Never heard of that happening.

The Bills are going to have to restructure if they match the offer sheet anyway most likely. Or when they draft. I'm also not 100% sure they can't delay signings for cap purposes. Seems like teams appear to be over the cap pretty often this time of year, but none of really knows for sure how exactly that works.

pdxbearsfan

Liked Posts:
What’s weird, and maybe I’m wrong, but Mustipher played better when he started the last few games of the 2020 season than he did any of last season…. Which was before he and Kruetz started working out I think
I think he gained a ton of weight ( 30 + pounds) on purpose so as not to get pushed around but it hurt his ability, now he needs to lose it all for the new regime and regain quicks.

VickAshley✅️verified

✅️ verified member - He/Him/Himselve/Sir
Liked Posts:
History has shown that he isn't better than that.
You literally made a post about your own history of a whole bunch of separate different various member names that was both disturbingly psychotic and also very conceitedely self centric and cringingly antisocial and arrogantly pompous that this is literally ironic like Atlantis Morrisuette that you would make this reply to the post you're replying toward.

Discus fish salesman

Liked Posts:
You literally made a post about your own history of a whole bunch of separate different various member names that was both disturbingly psychotic and also very conceitedely self centric and cringingly antisocial and arrogantly pompous that this is literally ironic like Atlantis Morrisuette that you would make this reply to the post you're replying toward.
Vick, I'm not sure that @Mighty Joe Young sees it as psychotic behavior but I'll let him hash this out with you.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
The Bears redid Mack's deal, but not in the same year they traded for and signed him. Never heard of that happening.

The Bills are going to have to restructure if they match the offer sheet anyway most likely. Or when they draft. I'm also not 100% sure they can't delay signings for cap purposes. Seems like teams appear to be over the cap pretty often this time of year, but none of really knows for sure how exactly that works.

Yeah just checked. Pretty sure I recall it happening before but can't remember who exactly as it is rare to need to do it in same year as you would think you wouldn't sign them to a contract you had to restructure that quickly.

I believe the report was that they could create 6m in cap space. Hence why I shot for 10-11m first year salary. I assume anything beyond that becomes a bit more of a challenge for them. They are pretty much at 0 cap space now.

I think a lot of teams make cap moves this time of year that they don't report publicly until much later.

Edit - It was Dak Prescott and DJ Humphries. Signed deals in March and Feb and the restructured that same Sept.

Last edited:

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Almost guaranteed now with Chiefs and Packers needing WR's. I think 7-9 gone before Bears pick. Pierce may be there.
So lets do who have been the top ranked 7-9 and see who's left.
G.Wilson
D.London
J.Williams
T.Burks
C.Olave
J.Dotson
G.Pickens
C.Watson
S.Moore

That's 9 and leaves
J.Metchie
C.Austin
A.Pierce
W.Robinson
J.Tolbert
D.Bell

Two guys i like in mid to late rounds
K.Shakir
Bo Melton

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Yeah would Eagles go for Quinn and maybe a 3rd next year for one of their firsts. They signed Reddick and Graham and still have Barnett but Graham was injured and is 33 and Barnett had just 2 sacks. Adding Quinn could put that D over the top and they would still have 2 firsts left. I would try and get an agreement now but only make the trade on draft day to avoid someone jumping us because they know we want a WR.
I thought they re-signed Barnett today? Am i mistaken and it was Graham they re-signed today?