*OFFICIAL* Offseason Rumors, Signings, and Shenanigans

pdxbearsfan

Liked Posts:
Is it possible that the Bears are not just signing names but signing players they have evaluated differently. Like Getsy was in GB and the Bears signed Patrick instead of Turner and St Brown instead of MVS. Do you think Getsy was clamoring for Turner and Poles was like, "nah homie, I want to keep my 18 million in cap space."

Time will tell if they made the right choices but it is just odd that Bears fans think teams just go after every Tom, Dick and Harry at a given position. They have all these guys ranked and Bears were not even rumored to be in on Turner so most likely Getsy wasn't that gung ho about him.
agreed, all good points

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
#Bears are hopeful that by Tuesday, they'll have added O-lineman Ryan Bates, a restricted free agent whom Bills could retain by matching Bears' offer sheet. "There's probably a good chance that the Bills decline it," Biggs says.

I haven't seen a # on the offer. Any idea? I agree with Biggs, Bills gave him a minimum qualifying offer to be able to match. No compensation.

Last edited:

pdxbearsfan

Liked Posts:
oh thank god we didn't sign this dork, i advocated for this guy and I had no idea he's like a dildo that won't shut off, how old is this guy ffs...i would actually rather win only 5 games without him than 6 games with this jamoke
He is a typical WR Diva, never was interested.

The Big Grabowski

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
This is one scenario that you absolutely trade to get in range for a WR.

Swap 1st and 2nd with the Giants this year—moving up this year, dropping back a round next year—and add some conditional value to sweeten the pot. Both teams are in similar situations. Our picks ended up very close this year, which helps mitigate the risk for the Giants. And they already got a nice return trading with us last year.

bears26

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Houston Rockets
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Oklahoma Sooners
I haven't seen a # on the offer. Any idea? I agree with Biggs, They gave him a he minimum qualifying offer to be able to match. No compensation.
No idea on the offer. I was hoping Biggs had some info but does not sound like he does.

Nelly

Liked Posts:
For as much as is made about it, the draft is always a crap shoot. You could certainly find yourself better off for having the higher pick to get the right guy, or you could luck into avoiding the wrong guy and/or luck into the right guy later on. Here's the receivers drafted in the first 3 rounds in 2021:
1.5. Jamarr Chase
1.6. Jaylen Waddle
1.10. Devonta Smith
1.20. Kadaraius Toney
1.27. Rashod Bateman
2.34. Elijah Moore
2.49. Rondale Moore
2.56. D'Wayne Eskeridge
2.57. Tutu Atwell
2.59. Terrance Marshall Jr.
3.77. Josh Palmer
3.82. Dyami Brown
3.85. Amari Rodgers
3.89. Nico Collins
3.91. Anthony Schwartz
Outside of the top 3 rounds:
4.112. Amon-Ra St. Brown

2020:
1.12. Henry Ruggs III
1.15. Jerry Jeudy
1.17. Ceedee Lamb
1.21. Jealon Reagor
1.22. Justin Jefferson
1.25. Brandon Aiyuk
2.33. Tee Higgins
2.34. Michael Pittman Jr.
2.42. Laviska Shenault
2.46. K.J. Hamler
2.49. Chase Claypool
2.57. Van Jefferson
2.59. Denzel Mims
3.80. Lynn Bowden Jr.
3.81. Bryan Edwards
3.92. Devin Duvernay
4.128. Gabriel Davis
5.166. Quintez Cephus
5.173. Darnell Mooney
5.176. K.J. Osborn
6.187. Donovan Peoples-Jones

2019:
1.25. Marquise Brown
1.32. N'Keal Harry
2.36. Deebo Samuel
2.51. A.J. Brown
2.56. Mecole Hardman
2.57. JJ Arcega-Whiteside
2.59. Parris Campbell
2.62. Andy Isabella
2.64. D.K. Metcalf
3.66. Diontae Johnson
3.67. Jalen Hurd
3.76. Terry McLaurin
3.93. Miles Boykin
5.149. Hunter Renfrow
5.171. Darius Slayton

2018:
1.24. D.J. Moore
1.26. Calvin Ridley
2.40. Courtland Sutton
2.44. Dante Pettis
2.47. Christian Kirk
2.51. Anthony Miller
2.60. James Washington
2.61. D.J. Chark
3.81. Michael Gallup
3.91. Tre'Quan Smith
5.174. Marquez Valdes-Scantling
6.194. Russell Gage
6.210. Braxton Berrios

2017:
1.5. Corey Davis
1.7. Mike Williams
1.9. John Ross
2.37. Zay Jones
2.40. Curtis Samuel
2.62. Juju Smith-Schuster
3.69. Cooper Kupp
3.72. Taywan Taylor
3.79. ArDarius Stewart
3.84. Chris Godwin
3.96. Kenny Golladay
3.98. Chad Williams
3.106. Amara Darboh
4.110. Dede Westbrook
4.117. Josh Reynolds
5.172. Isaiah McKenzie

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
For as much as is made about it, the draft is always a crap shoot. You could certainly find yourself better off for having the higher pick to get the right guy, or you could luck into avoiding the wrong guy and/or luck into the right guy later on. Here's the receivers drafted in the first 3 rounds in 2021:
1.5. Jamarr Chase
1.6. Jaylen Waddle
1.10. Devonta Smith
1.20. Kadaraius Toney
1.27. Rashod Bateman
2.34. Elijah Moore
2.49. Rondale Moore
2.56. D'Wayne Eskeridge
2.57. Tutu Atwell
2.59. Terrance Marshall Jr.
3.77. Josh Palmer
3.82. Dyami Brown
3.85. Amari Rodgers
3.89. Nico Collins
3.91. Anthony Schwartz
4.112. Amon-Ra St. Brown

2020:
1.12. Henry Ruggs III
1.15. Jerry Jeudy
1.17. Ceedee Lamb
1.21. Jealon Reagor
1.22. Justin Jefferson
1.25. Brandon Aiyuk
2.33. Tee Higgins
2.34. Michael Pittman Jr.
2.42. Laviska Shenault
2.46. K.J. Hamler
2.49. Chase Claypool
2.57. Van Jefferson
2.59. Denzel Mims
3.80. Lynn Bowden Jr.
3.81. Bryan Edwards
3.92. Devin Duvernay
4.128. Gabriel Davis
5.166. Quintez Cephus
5.173. Darnell Mooney
5.176. K.J. Osborn
6.187. Donovan Peoples-Jones

2019:
1.25. Marquise Brown
1.32. N'Keal Harry
2.36. Deebo Samuel
2.51. A.J. Brown
2.56. Mecole Hardman
2.57. JJ Arcega-Whiteside
2.59. Parris Campbell
2.62. Andy Isabella
2.64. D.K. Metcalf
3.66. Diontae Johnson
3.67. Jalen Hurd
3.76. Terry McLaurin
3.93. Miles Boykin
5.149. Hunter Renfrow
5.171. Darius Slayton

2018:
1.24. D.J. Moore
1.26. Calvin Ridley
2.40. Courtland Sutton
2.44. Dante Pettis
2.47. Christian Kirk
2.51. Anthony Miller
2.60. James Washington
2.61. D.J. Chark
3.81. Michael Gallup
3.91. Tre'Quan Smith
5.174. Marquez Valdes-Scantling
6.194. Russell Gage
6.210. Braxton Berrios

2017:
1.5. Corey Davis
1.7. Mike Williams
1.9. John Ross
2.37. Zay Jones
2.40. Curtis Samuel
2.62. Juju Smith-Schuster
3.69. Cooper Kupp
3.72. Taywan Taylor
3.79. ArDarius Stewart
3.84. Chris Godwin
3.96. Kenny Golladay
3.98. Chad Williams
3.106. Amara Darboh
4.110. Dede Westbrook
4.117. Josh Reynolds
5.172. Isaiah McKenzie
I completely get it but the idea is that odds improve. I was always against drafting WRs and Gs early but in the modern game WRs have become too important, even if relative value compared to those picked later is weaker than other positions.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Maybe its just me, but I don't trade Foles as a one-off. We're rebuilding, so what I would do if I were Poles is keep Foles until draft day, and see if I can package him with Quinn, and maybe (likely) a couple other players to see if I can trade into the first round.

If PFF is at ALL accurate and the Texans really need help everywhere, then that is who I am targeting with a package of at least 4-5 players of value. And if I think it could net us both the Texans' picks, this would be the rare case where I'd consider a Roquan Smith or a Jaylon Johnson etc to entice that. And if THAT is successful, I take that 3rd overall pick, and I trade back to whomever is willing to give up the most picks - maybe I target the Eagles since they have 2 first rounders, and because of the massive move up, squeeze them for all the picks I can get out of them including both 1st rounders.

Normally I wouldn't advocate trading established players of Smith or Johnson's quality and age for just picks, but this is literally the one scenario where I think that move is ok.

Now, do I think all that will happen? Hell no. But if I am Poles this year, for this draft? He's making it all about Fields, so I go all in on that, and stockpile picks to completely rebuild and retool the offensive side of the ball, even if it means we have to part with one or two really great players on defense to do it. Its the type of thing you can only do once anyway, and only in this situation the Bears find themselves in, and its not like the defense is going to be any good this year anyway - 2 of 11 players isn't going to make a significant impact.

I say roll the dice and do what you have to .
This reads like the ads where some guy is advertising rims for a Ford F350 that fits only a 1983-1985, and wants to trade for a crossbow, but it must be left handed.

You're looking for a team to trade for Foles and Quinn in one package deal?

And then to sweeten the deal, as GM of a rebuilding team, you're throwing in young talented players not making much money?

TL1961

Liked Posts:
This is one scenario that you absolutely trade to get in range for a WR.

Swap 1st and 2nd with the Giants this year—moving up this year, dropping back a round next year—and add some conditional value to sweeten the pot. Both teams are in similar situations. Our picks ended up very close this year, which helps mitigate the risk for the Giants. And they already got a nice return trading with us last year.
What does "our picks ending up close this year" have to do with the Giants trading one?

And are you suggesting the Giants would be willing to give us something because "they got a nice return trading with us last year"?

What sense does that make?

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
And his name is Nick Foles!
Had Pace traded our 2023 1st pick instead of our 2022 for Fields even black rainbow might not have complained... nah.

Nelly

Liked Posts:
I completely get it but the idea is that odds improve.
Kinda sorta. In 2020, you've got Ruggs and Reagor busting, Aiyuk not living up to 1st round billing. I'd rather have Tee Higgins or Michael Pittman over those guys, or Claypool taken at #49. In 2019 you almost wish you didn't have a first rounder to spend on a wide receiver with Brown/Harry not being nearly as good as Samuel and Brown picked after them in the second. In 2017 I'll take all the second rounders over John Ross while the best of the bunch was found in the second (Kupp).

In other words, let's assume for a second that 8 wide receivers are taken before us (Wilson, Williams, London, Olave, Burks, Dotson, Pickens and Watson), leaving us perhaps with no choice but to take Metchie or miss out entirely on a wide receiver we feel can make an impact from the jump.... and Metchie turns out to be awesome while Pickens is meh and Watson busts. Did we miss out? You can find examples of this in every single draft. How did any GM think Andy Isabella or Parris Campbell was a better pick than D.K. Metcalf?

Mighty Joe Young

Living in Troll's Heads Rent-Free for Decades
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
This reads like the ads where some guy is advertising rims for a Ford F350 that fits only a 1983-1985, and wants to trade for a crossbow, but it must be left handed.

You're looking for a team to trade for Foles and Quinn in one package deal?

And then to sweeten the deal, as GM of a rebuilding team, you're throwing in young talented players not making much money?

The Giants willing to punt one of their 1st rounders this year for a next year 1st rounder changes the calculus, but since Poles has said that this is all about Fields and building around him, and seeing how on defense we got Quinn, Johnson and Smith and not really much else going for us, then, sorry to all the stammering "bu-bu-bu-bu-but you can't trade my defense, my PRECIOUSSSS defense for that!" Golum basement dwellers, but fuck yeah, if I can get into the top 10 of the first round to a team like the Texans, who needs help everywhere, then damn right I am going to give them a call and say "Hey, that #3 overall pick. What if I offered you Quinn, Smith, Montgomery, Foles, Whitehair, and Borom for that pick, with Smith being your lynch pin."

I fucking do it. If they want Jaylon Johnson too, I fucking do it. And I respect the crazy talent of Johnson and Smith. But we are in a rebuild. The defense even with them is going to be shit next year.

So seriously - FUCK IT.

"But yer stoopid! No way the Texans take that!"

Really? No way the Texans, in exchange for the potential of a 1st round pick, would instead prefer a super young, super talented linebacker they can build around, a top defensive end in the league last year, 2 offensive line pieces including a guy who can play center or guard and another guy who held his own as a tackle but for some reason doesn't fit what the Bears GM wants, a back up veteran QB who was once a superbowl MVP to help back up and tutor your QB you are grooming, and can potentially be a replacement in the short term if he's a bust, AND a running back who has a penchant for aggressively breaking tackles as a sweetener? And if that's still not enough, a young, ascending cornerback who shuts down his side of the field? Did I mention that the head coach of the Texans is Lovie Smith, who loved all these player types in the past?

They may not take it. But I fucking do it. And I enjoy all the fucking dick-ripping that comes with it.

And if the Texans do take that deal, I then take that 3rd round pick, and sell the fuck out of it and take back the highest, most valuable yield of picks I can find.

And even then, I may take the Giants up on their offer and get one of their picks too for a 2023 first rounder.

And from there, I fucking go HAM on the draft, building around fields, solidifying that side of the ball, and taking some of the latter-round picks and using those to get high upside guys on defense to fill out the back end, and see if we can't catch lightning in a bottle.

Keep in mind - this exact situation the Bears find themselves in is the ONLY time I would ever recommend this approach.

But with this many holes and roster spots open, and needing to know if you got your guy as QB, swing for the fucking fences and give yourself as many shots as possible in this draft to get players for the offensive side of the ball.

And then next year, if Fields shows he is the guy and the offense shows promise, you can return to business as usual.