*OFFICIAL* Offseason Rumors, Signings, and Shenanigans

Canth

Liked Posts:
Yeah, I am not a fan of the idea of trading up this year. I know a dynamic WR could really help Fields and the Bears stand a better chance of finding that guy in the 1st round. But they cannot keep giving up assets to trade up. There are too many holes on the team and very little depth.

IMO, it can make sense to trade up for the truly premium positions: QB, LT, and Pass Rushing (OLB/DE depending on system, ie a guy like Mack). But, the Bears are not in position to trade up for just a shot at a WR, especially as you can find guys that can be developed into productive starters in the 2nd and 3rd rounds.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
The Giants willing to punt one of their 1st rounders this year for a next year 1st rounder changes the calculus, but since Poles has said that this is all about Fields and building around him, and seeing how on defense we got Quinn, Johnson and Smith and not really much else going for us, then, sorry to all the stammering "bu-bu-bu-bu-but you can't trade my defense, my PRECIOUSSSS defense for that!" Golum basement dwellers, but fuck yeah, if I can get into the top 10 of the first round to a team like the Texans, who needs help everywhere, then damn right I am going to give them a call and say "Hey, that #3 overall pick. What if I offered you Quinn, Smith, Montgomery, Foles, Whitehair, and Borom for that pick, with Smith being your lynch pin."

I fucking do it. If they want Jaylon Johnson too, I fucking do it. And I respect the crazy talent of Johnson and Smith. But we are in a rebuild. The defense even with them is going to be shit next year.

So seriously - FUCK IT.

"But yer stoopid! No way the Texans take that!"

Really? No way the Texans, in exchange for the potential of a 1st round pick, would instead prefer a super young, super talented linebacker they can build around, a top defensive end in the league last year, 2 offensive line pieces including a guy who can play center or guard and another guy who held his own as a tackle but for some reason doesn't fit what the Bears GM wants, a back up veteran QB who was once a superbowl MVP to help back up and tutor your QB you are grooming, and can potentially be a replacement in the short term if he's a bust, AND a running back who has a penchant for aggressively breaking tackles as a sweetener? And if that's still not enough, a young, ascending cornerback who shuts down his side of the field? Did I mention that the head coach of the Texans is Lovie Smith, who loved all these player types in the past?

They may not take it. But I fucking do it. And I enjoy all the fucking dick-ripping that comes with it.

And if the Texans do take that deal, I then take that 3rd round pick, and sell the fuck out of it and take back the highest, most valuable yield of picks I can find.

And even then, I may take the Giants up on their offer and get one of their picks too for a 2023 first rounder.

And from there, I fucking go HAM on the draft, building around fields, solidifying that side of the ball, and taking some of the latter-round picks and using those to get high upside guys on defense to fill out the back end, and see if we can't catch lightning in a bottle.

Keep in mind - this exact situation the Bears find themselves in is the ONLY time I would ever recommend this approach.

But with this many holes and roster spots open, and needing to know if you got your guy as QB, swing for the fucking fences and give yourself as many shots as possible in this draft to get players for the offensive side of the ball.

And then next year, if Fields shows he is the guy and the offense shows promise, you can return to business as usual.
I think if someone actually watched and understood the NFL there's no way they'd ever post this.

The Texans are 100% in a rebuild, more than the Bears, why would they want to take on an expensive 32 year old DE and a guy who will cost $50m guaranteed next year at a non-premium position? Or a guy whose value is as a press man corner when the coach pretty much never plays press man, and needs paid in 2 years? None of it makes sense.

There also likely isn't going to be a huge demand for trade ups because there are no QBs rated consistently in the top 10 and it's a relatively weak draft at the top. As good as he might be, no one is going to sell the farm for Kyle Hamilton or Aiden Hutchison.

Finally, if that mythical trade is available, why wouldn't the Texans just do it and get a haul of picks to build cheaply and for the future?

It's a series of terrible ideas.

Canth

Liked Posts:
Just thinking about the offensive line, it would be nice if the Bears really do land Bates. If they can then add I guess an Eric Fisher, it would let them go into the draft not needing to draft OL in the 2nd round. Then, they can use those 2nd/3rd round picks on WR and CB.

It has been strangely quiet on the Eric Fisher front though for any team. The biggest question mark is his health, so I would guess teams are trying to get a short, incentive laden contract.

Icculus

The Great and Knowledgeable
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Army Black Knights
Now this really sucks. Turner couldn't be brought here for 5 or even 6 million a year?!

We're probably giving Bates the same amount for way less experience.

Seriously fuck Poles, his decisions on the oline have been beyond shit so far.
Most of the posters giving you a thumbs down can't handle statements of harsh reality and don't realize the pattern of shity managerial decisions the Bears have made and executed since dumbass Michael McCaskey fired Jerry Vanisi in 1987. Like @BEARZOMBIE said (and I would love if he was wrong), this is Angelo signing Frank Omiyale all over again. Until they proveme wrong Poles and Cunningham are two more idiots hired by a moronic arrogant ownership. I am middle aged and have seen this this scenario far too much. Now, I will, most likely sing a different tune if they sign Fisher. However, if they barely do anything to protect and help develop Fields, then I don't have many reasons to go out of my way pay attention to this team given I haven't even set foot in the United States in over six years since I moved overseas to stay wife my better half.

Last edited:

gpphat

2020 CCS Fantasy Football Champ (ESPN League)
Donator
CCS Overall Fantasy Football Champion
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Virginia Commonwealth Rams
I think if someone actually watched and understood the NFL there's no way they'd ever post this.

The Texans are 100% in a rebuild, more than the Bears, why would they want to take on an expensive 32 year old DE and a guy who will cost $50m guaranteed next year at a non-premium position? Or a guy whose value is as a press man corner when the coach pretty much never plays press man, and needs paid in 2 years? None of it makes sense.

There also likely isn't going to be a huge demand for trade ups because there are no QBs rated consistently in the top 10 and it's a relatively weak draft at the top. As good as he might be, no one is going to sell the farm for Kyle Hamilton or Aiden Hutchison.

Finally, if that mythical trade is available, why wouldn't the Texans just do it and get a haul of picks to build cheaply and for the future?

It's a series of terrible ideas.
MJY has a habit of posting terrible ideas

Mighty Joe Young

Living in Troll's Heads Rent-Free for Decades
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Yeah, I am not a fan of the idea of trading up this year. I know a dynamic WR could really help Fields and the Bears stand a better chance of finding that guy in the 1st round. But they cannot keep giving up assets to trade up. There are too many holes on the team and very little depth.

IMO, it can make sense to trade up for the truly premium positions: QB, LT, and Pass Rushing (OLB/DE depending on system, ie a guy like Mack). But, the Bears are not in position to trade up for just a shot at a WR, especially as you can find guys that can be developed into productive starters in the 2nd and 3rd rounds.

Neither am I. But I absolutely will sell the farm on the defensive side of the ball for whatever we got left to trade into the 1st round, and then trade down for more picks.

I know Quinn alone will not get you a first round pick. But pairing him with Roquan Smith changes the calculus.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

I agree it's unnecessary but a 1st round swap with the Giants would have value. You'd be getting the same or better pick a year early (I really don't think we'll be picking as high as 7 next year). Wouldn't have to be a WR either. A few OTs going top 10 or so. Seems to me the Giants would likely want more than a straight swap for pick #7 which would make this moot but in this case, you are not losing a pick in the process and likely moving up the board for free and a year early besides. Actually sounds too good to be true.

The Big Grabowski

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
What does "our picks ending up close this year" have to do with the Giants trading one?

And are you suggesting the Giants would be willing to give us something because "they got a nice return trading with us last year"?

What sense does that make?

We suck as much as they do is a selling point. We're not a playoff team that's going to end up with a late first in 2023.

Ordinarily you lose a round of value kicking a pick back a year, but because you're swapping positions this year and next, there's some logic to the values being close. You can mitigate the unknown with some conditionals in the offer.

Ultimately, the Giants desire a better crop of QBs to choose from next year. We desire a shot at a top WR this year to pair with Fields. It could be a win-win again if you get the deal done. In recent experience trading with them, that has been the case.

Discus fish salesman

Liked Posts:
I agree it's unnecessary but a 1st round swap with the Giants would have value. You'd be getting the same or better pick a year early (I really don't think we'll be picking as high as 7 next year). Wouldn't have to be a WR either. A few OTs going top 10 or so. Seems to me the Giants would likely want more than a straight swap for pick #7 which would make this moot but in this case, you are not losing a pick in the process and likely moving up the board for free and a year early besides. Actually sounds too good to be true.
I'd love one of the top WRs but Evan Neal at LT would be pretty amazing. But I also don't see the giants trading their 1st for just a 1st next year.

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:
We suck as much as they do is a selling point. We're not a playoff team that's going to end up with a late first in 2023.

Ordinarily you lose a round of value kicking a pick back a year, but because you're swapping positions this year and next, there's some logic to the values being close. You can mitigate the unknown with some conditionals in the offer.

Ultimately, the Giants desire a better crop of QBs to choose from next year. We desire a shot at a top WR this year to pair with Fields. It could be a win-win again if you get the deal done. In recent experience trading with them, that has been the case.
Agree on your points but also from a common sense standpoint, the value is skewed bc the Giants would be giving The Bears assets to be better THIS year, would could also hurt the draft picture they get in exchange next year.

It’s not really a smart move for NYG. It could still work out, but by making the Bears a better team this year, you make your draft pick worse next year. That’s bad business.

Mighty Joe Young

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears

I mean, really, none of us really know year to year. Every year there's a trade that surprises people.

Mighty Joe Young

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Agree on your points but also from a common sense standpoint, the value is skewed bc the Giants would be giving The Bears assets to be better THIS year, would could also hurt the draft picture they get in exchange next year.

It’s not really a smart move for NYG. It could still work out, but by making the Bears a better team this year, you make your draft pick worse next year. That’s bad business.
I agree its not the smartest move. But maybe what the Giants are banking on, is that with 2 1st round draft picks and a deeper QB class next year, that its worth it to have 2 firsts to trade up.

Also speaks to them potentially tanking next year - then they don't need to count on their trade partner to have a high pick when they have a high one.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
Big thing too is no one really knows what will happen next year. Chances are the Bears are bad, but if say AR goes down and Fields improves markedly, the Bears could get into the playoffs at 9-8 and have a pick in the 20s. This kind of thing happens multiple times every year. In short it's a not a good idea for NYG and they won't do it. I don't remember it ever happening before, especially not with a team drafting as high as NYG.

zabavka

The owls are not what they seem...
Liked Posts:
Most of the posters giving you a thumbs down can't handle statements of harsh reality and don't realize the pattern of shity managerial decisions the Bears have made and executed since dumbass Michael McCaskey fired Jerry Vanisi in 1987. Like @BEARZOMBIE said (and I would love if he was wrong), this is Angelo signing Frank Omiyale all over again. Until they proveme wrong Poles and Cunningham are two more idiots hired by a moronic arrogant ownership. I am middle aged and have seen this this scenario far too much. Now, I will, most likely sing a different tune if they sign Fisher. However, if they barely do anything to protect and help develop Fields, then I don't have many reasons to go out of my way pay attention to this team given I haven't even set foot in the United States in over six years since I moved overseas to stay wife my better half.
Those who don't know their history are doomed to repeat it.

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
I straight up switched to xfinity so I don’t get tempted to watch this shit with Sunday ticket lol. We’ve seen this song and dance before this team is a dumpster fire with little to no direction

Mighty Joe Young

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears

I'll never understand why some people hate-watch the Bears. If you are so convinced that it will never change, then go do something better with your life than revel in your own misery...