*OFFICIAL* Offseason Rumors, Signings, and Shenanigans

Anytime23

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
I think if someone actually watched and understood the NFL there's no way they'd ever post this.

The Texans are 100% in a rebuild, more than the Bears, why would they want to take on an expensive 32 year old DE and a guy who will cost $50m guaranteed next year at a non-premium position? Or a guy whose value is as a press man corner when the coach pretty much never plays press man, and needs paid in 2 years? None of it makes sense.

There also likely isn't going to be a huge demand for trade ups because there are no QBs rated consistently in the top 10 and it's a relatively weak draft at the top. As good as he might be, no one is going to sell the farm for Kyle Hamilton or Aiden Hutchison.

Finally, if that mythical trade is available, why wouldn't the Texans just do it and get a haul of picks to build cheaply and for the future?

It's a series of terrible ideas.
i noticed @Mighty Joe Young ignored this complete destruction of him.

LIBlue

Liked Posts:
Realistically, it would likely cost 39, 71 and next years first at a minimum, but more likely would be 39, 48 and next years first.

Montucky

Liked Posts:
Realistically, it would likely cost 39, 71 and next years first at a minimum, but more likely would be 39, 48 and next years first.
Which is an absolutely ludicrous price to pay when the Bears have as many issues as the Bears have. All to fulfill this fantasy of Justin Fields, who could very easily suck, getting to play catch with one of his college teammates in a Bears uniform.

I know people look at Joe Burrow reuniting with Ja'Marr Chase and envision the same with the Bears, but Fields is no Burrow. Not even in the same universe right now.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
I know we're all desperate for the Bears to do something big, since everyone else is. But nothing about Poles' tenure so far should make you believe that he's going to pull off a big move to get the Bears a top 10 pick this year or a player on a big contract now or that needs to signed to a big contract shortly.

Ryan Pace wasn't even aggressive his first year or 2 on the job, and he's more aggressive than most.

So no, the Bears aren't going to trade a 2023 1st for a 2022 1st. They aren't going to trade Roquan for DK Metcalf or whatever, they aren't going to trade for Stefon Diggs.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
i noticed @Mighty Joe Young ignored this complete destruction of him.
I've never even been mean to the guy, he just ignores every critique I give of his posts.

I did once tell him that it was hard to take a guy who believed in Pizzagate seriously, but I feel like that it a pretty widely-held sentiment.

The Big Grabowski

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
That would be horrible value for the Giants
Well, the value is uncertain because we don't have 2023 draft position. It's the risk you base your evaluation of the trade on. You know what you're giving up this year:

#7 overall is worth 1500
#39 is worth 510

The difference in value (990) would be the #16 (1000) pick overall (Jimmy Johnson draft value chart). The question is how can they best make up that value in a swap next year?

Say the Bears and Giants finish with the same draft position next year (neutral scenario), the swap value in 2023 looks like this:

#37 overall (Giants) is worth 530
#7 overall (Bears) is worth 1500

The Bears would be giving up 970 in value and are ahead by 20 (the value of a 2023 5th).

If the Giants are returning a 3rd rounder instead—#69 overall is worth 245—the Giants are ahead by 265.

The 3rd rounder probably makes sense because in a scenario where the Bears squeak into the playoffs, there's a lot more risk for the Giants to finish way behind in value (around 650 points if the Giants stay the same). If the Giants sneak into the playoffs, the Bears would be behind about 250 points if their draft position stays the same. The Giants would want to mitigate that risk

Again, I'm not sayin the Giants would do the deal, but I'm indulging them in a conversation because they're broadcasting a desire to move their pick back a year to position themselves for a QB.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Well, the value is uncertain because we don't have 2023 draft position. It's the risk you base your evaluation of the trade on. You know what you're giving up this year:

#7 overall is worth 1500
#39 is worth 510

The difference in value (990) would be the #16 (1000) pick overall (Jimmy Johnson draft value chart). The question is how can they best make up that value in a swap next year?

Say the Bears and Giants finish with the same draft position next year (neutral scenario), the swap value in 2023 looks like this:

#37 overall (Giants) is worth 530
#7 overall (Bears) is worth 1500

The Bears would be giving up 970 in value and are ahead by 20 (the value of a 2023 5th).

If the Giants are returning a 3rd rounder instead—#69 overall is worth 245—the Giants are ahead by 265.

The 3rd rounder probably makes sense because in a scenario where the Bears squeak into the playoffs, there's a lot more risk for the Giants to finish way behind in value (around 650 points if the Giants stay the same). If the Giants sneak into the playoffs, the Bears would be behind about 250 points if their draft position stays the same. The Giants would want to mitigate that risk

Again, I'm not sayin the Giants would do the deal, but I'm indulging them in a conversation because they're broadcasting a desire to move their pick back a year to position themselves for a QB.
Future trades are valued at one round behind. The Bears giving up a future 1st rounder is equivalent to a second round in value, not a mid first round pick....that's your flaw

Mighty Joe Young

Living in Troll's Heads Rent-Free for Decades
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
I know we're all desperate for the Bears to do something big, since everyone else is. But nothing about Poles' tenure so far should make you believe that he's going to pull off a big move to get the Bears a top 10 pick this year or a player on a big contract now or that needs to signed to a big contract shortly.

Ryan Pace wasn't even aggressive his first year or 2 on the job, and he's more aggressive than most.

So no, the Bears aren't going to trade a 2023 1st for a 2022 1st. They aren't going to trade Roquan for DK Metcalf or whatever, they aren't going to trade for Stefon Diggs.

Of course we all know that.

Y'all need to stop taking it so serious - we're just fucking around and having fun.

Visionman

Liked Posts:
If the Bears decide to trade up for a WR they really covet, it will only be if that player falls to say the mid 20s, at the earliest. We aren’t giving up the farm to trade up.

And if a crazy number of WRs get drafted in the 1st round…you guys better be ok with defense being drafted this year…

The Big Grabowski

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
The fact is the giants aren't actually going to trade a top 10 pick this year just to swap picks
Yeah, but given the interest the Giants are showing publicly, do you make that call as a GM to find out?

The likely scenario is the Giants are going to want a 2 this year and a 1 next year in return, which is a dealbreaker for me. Poles isn't going to want to give up picks but he might be willing to jockey draft position.

The Big Grabowski

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Future trades are valued at one round behind. The Bears giving up a future 1st rounder is equivalent to a second round in value, not a mid first round pick....that's your flaw
Future picks are valued 1 round behind—technically as the last pick of their original round—because you don't know draft position and are attributing lowest possible value to the pick.

Realistically, the Bears aren't picking at #32 next year. We see GMs gamble on that all the time. That's why I was looking at different scenarios.

Mighty Joe Young

Living in Troll's Heads Rent-Free for Decades
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Yeah, but given the interest the Giants are showing publicly, do you make that call as a GM to find out?

The likely scenario is the Giants are going to want a 2 this year and a 1 next year in return, which is a dealbreaker for me. Poles isn't going to want to give up picks but he might be willing to jockey draft position.

We are rebuilding. And we don't need a quarterback. This is a great draft to get a lot of pics for. Try to get something as high as you can and then trade down and acquire more and more picks.

I mean you don't go as far as to trade out of the first round, but if you're able to find a way to get something really high and then trade down to the middle of the first round and pick up whatever you can on the way.

TexasBearfan

Liked Posts:
If the Bears decide to trade up for a WR they really covet, it will only be if that player falls to say the mid 20s, at the earliest. We aren’t giving up the farm to trade up.

And if a crazy number of WRs get drafted in the 1st round…you guys better be ok with defense being drafted this year…
years ago i attended this fantasy baseball symposium with some hardcore draftniks, one of them had a rule he said always go against positional runs, so if there's a run on WR's for instance it's human nature to panic, but why take the 10th best WR when you can get the 2nd rated TE or 5th rated CB or whatever. I wouldn't be surprised if they take a LB, DT or OL with the initial second rounder.....of course if Fields flops this year they've got an entirely new set of issues to deal with