OL Shakeup...

Status
Not open for further replies.

waldo7239117

Driving Wreckless DA Best
Donator
Liked Posts:
CHARLOTTE, N.C.--Indications are that rookie seventh-round pick J'Marcus Webb will start at right tackle today and newcomer Edwin Williams will be the starting right guard as the Bears continue to mix things up on the offensive line.

The Tribune reported Friday that one or both young players could be headed into the starting lineup against the Panthers. That is the way the Bears lined up for most of the week during practice. It means veteran Kevin Shaffer will be the swing tackle and Williams will replace Lance Louis, a seventh-round pick from 2009, at right guard.

League sources remain confident that is what will happen. But the Bears have been allowing both players to get first-team reps in practice for some time. Offensive line coach Mike Tice wants to see how quickly the young players develop and grow.

The Bears allowed a franchise-record 10 sacks last Sunday at the Giants and even though offensive coordinator Mike Martz said to pin the blame on him, changes are expected at kickoff. Webb has gotten work already this season, substituting in for Shaffer in previous games, and Williams was used at right guard and left guard last week. Williams had been practicing at left guard prior to this past week. Louis suffered a bruised left knee against the Giants, but he was listed as having full participation during the week in practice.

It will be interesting to see how the younger players perform. But where it gets real interesting is projecting ahead to next week when left tackle Chris Williams could return from a pulled right hamstring. Williams will miss his third game today, but he spent three days last week working with trainer Bobby Slater on the side during practice. Typically, that is a precursor to a return to practice the following week. Barring a setback, Williams could play next Sunday against Seattle.

When Williams returns, what will the Bears do? Frank Omiyale could be moved back to right tackle. If Webb performs well with his opportunity, it could give the team something to think about. Omiyale looked more comfortable at the start of the season at right tackle than he did playing left guard last season. He did well in Week 3 against Green Bay at left tackle, but everyone struggled against the Giants.

The Bears have six developmental linemen on the roster with Webb, Williams, Louis and three practice squad players - James Marten, Levi Horn and Johan Asiata. The only way they're going to find out if they have building blocks for the future is to give them experience.

Webb, Williams expected to start on O-line - Chicago Breaking Sports

Thoughts? It doesn't hurt to try.

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Has Lance Louis given up alot of sacks? Is that why they benched him. Hopes its not based off last game as he was injured, and I mean you cant really go off last game..every offensive lineman sucked last game. And wasnt Erwin Williams a TACKLE before? I can see that going as well as the Omiyale move to right guard last year...

beardown28

That's What She Said
Donator
Liked Posts:
These offensive linemen should have been shook as babies.

waldo7239117

Driving Wreckless DA Best
Donator
Liked Posts:
At least E Williams and J Webb played pretty good and should be in same role next week. They did have some mistakes but that will come from young players. I know Collins-Hanie (Barely) threw little but they had more time than last week. But, again it was against a piss DL like in Carolina.

TopekaRoy

The Wizard of OZ
Donator
Liked Posts:
These offensive linemen should have been shook as babies.

Oh, I get it! Because it's the OL shakeup thread, right? That's funny and clever!

Shaken baby syndrome (SBS) is a form of Physical child abuse that occurs when an abuser violently shakes an infant or small child, creating a whiplash-type motion that causes acceleration-deceleration injuries.

SBS is often fatal and can cause severe brain damage, resulting in lifelong disability. source

Funny stuff.

Wakacha

Liked Posts:
Lovie Smith says "Chris Williams may be good to go this week"

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
IDK, Wasn't Williams the weakest link in our overall weak chain link (off)fence? I'm not sure if having him back would be much of an improvement.

He struggled in the Detroit game...he was lost too early in the Dallas game to really tell his effectiveness. I mean Dallas was all out blitzing in the first quarter, so to me hard to gauge effectiveness there.

TopekaRoy

The Wizard of OZ
Donator
Liked Posts:
He struggled in the Detroit game...

He also looked really bad in preseason. Martz says that was because the offense wasn't game-planning and were leaving the o-line to block one on one. I'm not sure I buy that entirely.

Also, the o-line looked a lot better after Williams went out and Omiyale was moved to the other side at Dallas. That, too, could be because the Bears changed their offensive scheme and made adjustments.

I'm just not sure I'm in a big hurry to get Williams back in there. I think they should give the new guys (Webb and Edwin Williams) time to see what they can do against better defenses than Carolina's. If they continue to struggle, use Williams as a back up and go ahead and throw him in there, I guess

Last edited:

TopekaRoy

The Wizard of OZ
Donator
Liked Posts:
Get over yourself there bud.

I'm sorry. I know you were just kidding, and it was a play on words. I just don't find child abuse that funny.

Imagine someone reading that post who just lost her child because her babysitter or boyfriend shook it to death! How do you think your post would make her feel?

I know this is the internet where you can hide behind the anonymity of your pseudonym and type any hurtful or hateful thing you want.

I have as much of a sense of humor as anyone. I just think people should think about how their words could hurt people before hitting "submit reply."

It's no big deal, and maybe I overreacted. I just thought your comment was in bad taste.

ClydeLee

Liked Posts:
He also looked really bad in preseason. Martz says that was because the offense wasn't game-planning and were leaving the o-line to block one on one. I'm not sure I buy that entirely.

Also, the o-line looked a lot better after Williams went out and Omiyale was moved to the other side at Dallas. That, too, could be because the Bears changed their offensive scheme and made adjustments.

I'm just not sure I'm in a big hurry to get Williams back in there. I think they should give the new guys (Webb and Edwin Williams) time to see what they can do against better defenses than Carolina's. If they continue to struggle, use Williams as a back up and go ahead and throw him in there, I guess

Chris Williams played 3 snaps in the game, people keep saying how awful he looked and It looked so much better when Omiyale, but that's a VERY little base to go off. In fact Omiyale gave up the 1 sack on that first series actually. Williams was in the first series and he was out, which means at the most he got hurt on that 3rd play if not the first or second so he had 2 healthy full start to finish snaps. Not one game so far has the line looked like they could pass protect on the first series.

He didn't give a lot of push but he wasn't awful against Detroit it wasn't like stated. There was a lot of interior pressure and Garza has been hurt and awful, so now maybe Williams can play well at LG where he should of been probably to start with last year instead of RT where Omiyale should of played. He might not even start yet but may just backup or what they should do is what they've done with Webb and move him in a series or too.

They are moving Williams to LG like many fans I heard call for last year, I wasn't one of them to say though. Many knew he is a left side oriented player which is why he kinda sucked bad a lot at LT and he had played guard before unlike Omiyale and Omiyale also is a more true LT with his arms to reach but he is rather slow footed making him constantly pushing guys as he is falling on his ass out there... If Williams can be a solid and grow to a strong LG the teams success can go a long way now and down the line.

Coming out scouts said he would likely be a better LG to start his career because of his lack of arm length and burst to handle speed rush at all times and the year he was starting with Cutler in Vandy it was where he played.

Last edited:

Derkach77

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
If Chris can stay healthy I think it will work just fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.