Status
Not open for further replies.

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
ARLINGTON, Texas - It wasn't just that Frank Omiyale had to move from right tackle to left tackle when Chris Williams suffered a hamstring injury on the third play of the game Sunday.

Omiyale also had to contend with DeMarcus Ware, who is considered by some the best pass rusher in the NFL after picking up 31 sacks over the previous two seasons.

"The stress level definitely went up a couple of notches," said Omiyale, who made one start at left tackle in 2008 with the Panthers. "But you have to do your job. I wanted to win the game, and that's what I had my focus on."

Ware did not add to his impressive sack total and the Cowboys did not drop Cutler after the first series.

Initially, Kevin Shaffer took over at left tackle on the Bears' second possession, but he was flagged for a false start and holding on back-to-back plays (although the hold was negated by an offsetting Cowboys penalty). On the next series, Shaffer went to right tackle, Omiyale went to left tackle and quarterback Jay Cutler lived happily ever after, throwing for 277 yards with his best passer rating as a Bear (136.7).

Omiyale spent all last season playing guard for the Bears and started 12 games with mixed results. He was switched to right tackle in the off-season and appears more comfortable there, but left tackle is considered the more difficult position because that position usually handles the opponents' best pass rusher, as was the case Sunday.

"It can be as difficult as you make it to be," Omiyale said. "I just told myself, 'stay cool'. It's something that needs to be done, and I took pride in them feeling like I could make that change."

Cutler appreciated the job the six-year veteran did.

"Going against a guy like DeMarcus Ware, you always have to be wary of him," Cutler said. "Frank hadn't played left (tackle) in a long, long time. He had been practicing right so hard. It's tough in the middle of a game for a guy to switch over like that and then go against DeMarcus Ware. You have to be proud of his effort. I though he played phenomenal down the stretch."

Daily Herald | Omiyale more than holds his own against Ware

Cutler was only sacked once in the game (Was hit alot though) and once Omiyale took over at left tackle, the Bears had zero penalties the rest of the game (They only had two penalties the entire game, and both were on Kevin Shaffer when he was at LT). The press is giving Omiyale some love. Do you think its warranted?

RandallPinkFloyd42

Liked Posts:
As much as I dislike Omiyale, there's nothing bad I can say about his game. Cutler still got his ass kicked, but he was able to neutralize Ware and avoid penalties.

Cover3

wat
Liked Posts:
It was difficult early on, but i think he did okay under the circumstances

X

When one letter is enough
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Any time D-Ware goes a long stretch w/out getting a sack, you gotta give whoever he was going up against some love.

Now, this doesn't mean our O-Line has evolved from terrible to great overnight. They may have gone from terrible to slightly below average, which is still a step in the right direction. I think not having Pace to worry about has helped this line, and they will continue to gel.....let's just hope they can be considered "average" by season's end.

BearMan2010

Liked Posts:
That is coaching ! Mike and Mike coached 'em up ! That's what good coach's do, put their players in positions to win !:woot:

Status
Not open for further replies.