On board the Nelson train

satchice

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Drafting Nelson doesn’t just give Mitch a nice clean pocket to step up into but a chance to escape into the open field if the DE gets too far up field.

Also this is about the making the entire offense better not just Mitch. This pick helps Jordan Howard, Tarik Cohen and everyone that is on the line.

He’s a player that would make everyone better and everyone’s job easier.

Yawn, you could say the same thing about 3 or 4 other OG rookies and at least 4 FA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

redgrange19

Eater of Ham
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Yeah, if Nelson is there at #8, you have to take him. There's talk of him possibly going at #2 which I think is a smokescreen, but he's the surest player in the draft. He would have a Zach Martin/Travis Frederick type impact, just plowing tackles to the ground.

redgrange19

Eater of Ham
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Yawn, you could say the same thing about 3 or 4 other OG rookies and at least 4 FA.

The Eagles and Patriots shown what a strong offensive line can provide. Foles had enough time to read an encyclopedia and step up in the pocket. Any time the Pats got a LITTLE pressure is when he made his bad throws. It's no coincidence Philly has great interior OL unit, along with Lane Johnson. A common thread with elite teams? Solid O-line play. Franchise changing, great players don't get to Free Agency often enough.

satchice

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
The Eagles and Patriots shown what a strong offensive line can provide. Foles had enough time to read an encyclopedia and step up in the pocket. Any time the Pats got a LITTLE pressure is when he made his bad throws. It's no coincidence Philly has great interior OL unit, along with Lane Johnson. A common thread with elite teams? Solid O-line play. Franchise changing, great players don't get to Free Agency often enough.

I’m sorry but I’m not following you. How many OG do those teams have that were top 5 picks?

I’m all for a top 5 OL unit. But I do t think the #4 OG is much different from the #10.

I mean who do you think is the top 3 OGs in the NFL Today? How much better do they make their Oline then the #8,9 or 10?

Icemanx

Liked Posts:
I don't think that this recent ridiculous craze that every top WR on a depth chart needs to be roughly 6'4 & 220 plus in many minds helps matters either. I think Ridley would be a fantastic pick & is the player I'd like to see the Bears pick the most, outside of Chubb who I don't think will be there when the Bears pick.

Yeah I am with you, I also want Ridley and think Chubb will be long gone when the Bears pick.

redgrange19

Eater of Ham
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
I’m sorry but I’m not following you. How many OG do those teams have that were top 5 picks?

I’m all for a top 5 OL unit. But I do t think the #4 OG is much different from the #10.

I mean who do you think is the top 3 OGs in the NFL Today? How much better do they make their Oline then the #8,9 or 10?

I think the difference could be substantial, in all honesty. I think a middle of the pack guard would work, but Nelson could be a transcendent talent like Hutchinson, or Yanda. It might not be a popular selection, but it would help the entire offense. I think the interior line would be strong (Nelson, Whitehair, Long) and the outside would be serviceable. Free Agency could also change this.

bears51/40

Liked Posts:
After the combine Nelson just had he might be going top 5, long gone before we draft.

msadows

Liked Posts:
I think the difference could be substantial, in all honesty. I think a middle of the pack guard would work, but Nelson could be a transcendent talent like Hutchinson, or Yanda. It might not be a popular selection, but it would help the entire offense. I think the interior line would be strong (Nelson, Whitehair, Long) and the outside would be serviceable. Free Agency could also change this.

Yea, and Edmunds could become an urlacher type.

Urlacher>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Hutchinson

Now if they draft nelson to play RT thats a different story, but I dont think he has the foot speed to do it.

msadows

Liked Posts:
After the combine Nelson just had he might be going top 5, long gone before we draft.

Good. Tom Waddle doesn't want to spend a top 10 pick on a guard. Gotta go with Tommy Waddles.

Get one of the 6 potential probowl guards in the 2nd round, and grab the best player available at a real position in the top 10.

redgrange19

Eater of Ham
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Yea, and Edmunds could become an urlacher type.

Urlacher>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Hutchinson

Now if they draft nelson to play RT thats a different story, but I dont think he has the foot speed to do it.

Fair enough, I'm prepared for Mitch getting knocked on his ass with more missed blocks, or we can't generate any push in the run game late in the season.

So we need a "real position"...

msadows

Liked Posts:
Fair enough, I'm prepared for Mitch getting knocked on his ass with more missed blocks, or we can't generate any push in the run game late in the season.

So we need a "real position"...

Nelson is not the only guard in the draft, or FA for that matter.

For all we know we sign norwell in 11 days, or pugh, or fulton, who are all more than adequate. Shit norwell is prob better than Nelson. Can't go much higher than ALL PRO.

Btw, Hernandez is just as good in the run game as nelson. Same with Wynn. Those are potential 2nd round prospects.

Or you can trade down, recoup your 3rd rounder, and pick billy price who could be a great center and play whitehair at guard.

Picking a guard in the top 10 is stupid, theres a reason why theres been probowl guards in FA the last 4 years. Theres also a reason teams dont waste a franchise tag on a guard. They are replaceable.

Nelson will be good. He also plays one of the least important positions in football that are the easiest to replace. FYI, the eagles didnt even draft their damn guards last year and they won the superbowl without their QB getting knocked on his ass.

msadows

Liked Posts:
I've also said it before in this thread im sure:

You pay nelson 5.5m AND use a #8 pick for him. No sure things in the nfl draft either, so that 5.5m might end up being a bust.

You pay Norwell 11m a year, and you get to take whoever you want at #8, and have a guy who is a proven all pro guard.

Please inform me what is a better value

SlipScreen

Liked Posts:
i know he's an amazing prospect but i don't know i just hate the idea of taking a Guard at 8, if it was a left tackle i would have no problem but guards just seem "easier" to find.

Icemanx

Liked Posts:

You pay nelson 5.5m AND use a #8 pick for him. No sure things in the nfl draft either, so that 5.5m might end up being a bust.

You pay Norwell 11m a year, and you get to take whoever you want at #8, and have a guy who is a proven all pro guard.

I would go with Norwell in this scenario.

Spunky Porkstacker

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
From Brad Biggs

Do you think the Bears potentially look to add a starting center in free agency like Zach Fulton or Weston Richburg instead of pursuing a guard and move Cody Whitehair to guard in the process? Makes sense to me. — @thedevindeal
As I’ve said previously, this could definitely be a possibility. Fulton, a Homewood-Flossmoor alumnus, played for Hiestand at Tennessee, and Nagy and offensive consultant Brad Childress are very familiar with him from their time together in Kansas City. Fulton has played both center and guard and will be an attractive free-agent target for many teams, I would imagine. Richburg, a former second-round pick of the Giants, has been very good in his career, but he was limited to four games last season, placed on injured reserve with a concussion. Richburg said at the end of the season that he was cleared several weeks before the end of the season, but missing that much time with a concussion has to be at least a little concerning for teams. There are a lot of directions the Bears could go to sort out the offensive line, and that’s probably one of the reasons they made the decision they did with Sitton. The Bears knew they would have multiple ways to fill the need for a starter.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

Sorry man, no shot that Nelson ends up a bust. Unless you're going by the meatball fan grading scale where if he doesn't turn out to be the best guard ever in the NFL then he is a bust. The only path to bust I see for him is if they try to make an offensive tackle out of him because he hasn't played tackle since high school. There is no tape on how he would play against top talent as a tackle.

Treehorn

Liked Posts:

This board just doesn't get it.

QB, WR, CB, LT, EDGE are the top paid positions in the NFL because they are the most important positions in the NFL. With a top 10 pick you want to hit on one of those positions so you have them for 5 years at a bargain price vs. blowing your load on a free agent QB, WR, LT, CB, or EDGE because you drafted a guard at #8.

It's more than picking the top player, positional value matters because of the long term economic effects on your salary cap.

redgrange19

Eater of Ham
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Nelson is not the only guard in the draft, or FA for that matter.

For all we know we sign norwell in 11 days, or pugh, or fulton, who are all more than adequate. Shit norwell is prob better than Nelson. Can't go much higher than ALL PRO.

Btw, Hernandez is just as good in the run game as nelson. Same with Wynn. Those are potential 2nd round prospects.

Or you can trade down, recoup your 3rd rounder, and pick billy price who could be a great center and play whitehair at guard.

Picking a guard in the top 10 is stupid, theres a reason why theres been probowl guards in FA the last 4 years. Theres also a reason teams dont waste a franchise tag on a guard. They are replaceable.

Nelson will be good. He also plays one of the least important positions in football that are the easiest to replace. FYI, the eagles didnt even draft their damn guards last year and they won the superbowl without their QB getting knocked on his ass.

Hey, if we get Norwell you won't see me complain. Not sure about the assessment on Hernandez or Wynn, but I'll look more into it. If one of the defensive gems slip (Fitzpatrick, Chubb) slip, I would be all for that in the top 10. Severely unlikely, but after them I'm not big on Davenport, Ridley, Ward. I'd rather get the safe piece that we can immediately plug. Just my philosophy.

bears5150

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
This board just doesn't get it.

QB, WR, CB, LT, EDGE are the top paid positions in the NFL because they are the most important positions in the NFL. With a top 10 pick you want to hit on one of those positions so you have them for 5 years at a bargain price vs. blowing your load on a free agent QB, WR, LT, CB, or EDGE because you drafted a guard at #8.

It's more than picking the top player, positional value matters because of the long term economic effects on your salary cap.
You don't get it the most important part of a team is OL. Without players in the trenches none of those players you mentioned are worth a shit.

msadows

Liked Posts:
Sorry man, no shot that Nelson ends up a bust. Unless you're going by the meatball fan grading scale where if he doesn't turn out to be the best guard ever in the NFL then he is a bust. The only path to bust I see for him is if they try to make an offensive tackle out of him because he hasn't played tackle since high school. There is no tape on how he would play against top talent as a tackle.

There is always a shot man....The olineman sports illustrated called the best offensive lineman ever ended up a bust. NOTHING IS CERTAIN IN THE NFL.

And I've said this a million times now, its almost like beating a dead horse, 5 years ago Warmack was touted nearly as highly as Nelson is this year. He was the #3 prospect that draft class. He ended up being a superbowl champ.....ON THE BENCH.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tony_Mandarich

Nothing is guaranteed in football. One thing that is guaranteed is that there is more than one pro bowl potential guard in this draft, and they wont require the #8 pick. Only way I am for nelson is if they draft him wanting to play him at RT from day one. If we drafted him to play guard we might as well just trade with buffalo, grab 21 and 22, and pick up hernandez and kirk