One run games

Liked Posts:
Exactly half of Cub games have been decided by one run....Overall record is 24 and 20 and their record in one run games is 12 and 10.

Illustrates just how competitive the Cubs have been this year and how close they are to becoming a really good team...No NL team has more 1 run wins nor has any NL team had more 1 run loses.

One thing for sure....Cubs are an exciting team to watch and also a frustrating team to watch.

Regardless, so far you have to like what you see.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
They need more offense.

That's the dilemma isn't it? They need another bat to ensure that a slumping bat or two doesn't kill them. On the other hand they desperately need another starting pitcher. That's if this is going to be a serious contender. Baez might be the offensive answer but then isn't available to trade. Which basically means they have the ability to trade for either but probably not both without jeopardizing their system and long term plans. Like it or not the next three years will be better chances to win a WS. There are tough decisions coming for Theo and his men.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
That's the dilemma isn't it? They need another bat to ensure that a slumping bat or two doesn't kill them. On the other hand they desperately need another starting pitcher. That's if this is going to be a serious contender. Baez might be the offensive answer but then isn't available to trade. Which basically means they have the ability to trade for either but probably not both without jeopardizing their system and long term plans. Like it or not the next three years will be better chances to win a WS. There are tough decisions coming for Theo and his men.
Yep. However, I think the trade will be for a pitcher. Regarding the hitting, it looks like Soler was getting a steady diet of low and away sliders. He's finally starting to figure out how they are pitching him. I see him getting back into a groove soon. Russell is surviving. The answer with the bat could be Baez getting a call up shortly after June 9 (if I have my info right, that's some sort of money saver). CSF77 mentioned inserting him behind Rizzo. Castro should start picking up again soon. He isn't going to hit south of the Mendoza line in many months. Maybe I sound like a meatball fan in this post. Zvbxrpl would have to correct me on that one. :D

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I truly don't see them trading for pitching unless its the right deal for a young pitcher.

If the Cubs truly believe Schwarber is going to be our catcher, then he is at least over another year away. His bat will be ready sooner, but def. not his catching.

The draft is going to be interesting. The Cubs take best available, but a lot of mocks have us taking a college arm. Mayo has us going with Walker Buehler. Baseball America has us going with Jon Harris. KLaw thinks we take Trenton Cole. These are also names he said the Cubs are interested in Garrett Whitley, Andrew Benintendi, Jon Harris and Carson Fulmer

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
If I am the Cubs I take the most major league ready arm available with that first pick.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
I'd take a look at Tyler Jay from the Illini. LHP 94-97 mph.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
I truly don't see them trading for pitching unless its the right deal for a young pitcher.
I don't see them trading for an old fart or a rental. I would be looking for a young arm.

Mr. Cub

2016 World Series Champs!
Liked Posts:
The blowpen.

All of our 5-6 run leads evaporate to one run come back wins or 1 run losses. Yep. That's what I blame haha

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Exactly half of Cub games have been decided by one run....Overall record is 24 and 20 and their record in one run games is 12 and 10.

Illustrates just how competitive the Cubs have been this year and how close they are to becoming a really good team...No NL team has more 1 run wins nor has any NL team had more 1 run loses.

One thing for sure....Cubs are an exciting team to watch and also a frustrating team to watch.

Regardless, so far you have to like what you see.

Runs scored: 186. 18 in MLB. 9th in NL. ERA: 3.78 12th in MLB 7th in NL.

So O is a bigger concern.

OBA: .320 6th in NL. So that is not the problem. 44 HR 5th in NL. SLG: .385...bingo. 8th in NL

So just looking at SLG (ISO is a better comp but for arguement sake) Rizzo leads the team with a .572. Bryant #2 at .476. Montero .451 Coghlan at .441 Fowler .419, Soler .407, Russell at .396

The ones below the team avg:

Castro: .337 (team leading 181 AB's)

No other reg is under. rest are subs with less than 50 AB's. Herrera leads with 44 AB's. But the mass are well below.

So Castro and the bench players are dead weight in SLG. To the point they are dragging the starters down.

Now in ISO Castro is at .072. All time low for him.

Zvbxrpl

Liked Posts:

If the Cubs truly believe Schwarber is going to be our catcher, then he is at least over another year away. His bat will be ready sooner, but def. not his catching.

The draft is going to be interesting. The Cubs take best available, but a lot of mocks have us taking a college arm. Mayo has us going with Walker Buehler. Baseball America has us going with Jon Harris. KLaw thinks we take Trenton Cole. These are also names he said the Cubs are interested in Garrett Whitley, Andrew Benintendi, Jon Harris and Carson Fulmer

I dont see a deal either unless its right.......

I see the cubs again passing on TOR material potential pitching for the best bat. I see some OF from Arkansas named Benintendi constantly mocked.

Carson Fullmer wont last from what I'm reading on him. Kyle Funkhouser seems possible--though unlikely too.

I, once again am a huge fan of Thomas Eshelman from Cal Fullerton, TOR stuff. Exactly what the cubs need and one of the most consistent, dominant collegiate starters since he was a Frosh in 2012. Not a flash in the pan like most pitchers we see. Appel was the only more consistent starter in that time.

Its time for Theo to chance it on TOR material instead of 3-5 rotation starters

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Cubs said they have targeted 4 players on the pick.

BA has them taking: Jon Harris, rhp, Missouri State

Nathan Kirby is another one popping up.

9. Cubs
Callis: Allard. Like Aiken, he's a Southern California native who ranks as the best high school pitcher in his Draft class. His lack of size will prevent him from going as high as Aiken did, but Allard has similar stuff and will be a nice fit for the pitching-needy Cubs.
Mayo: Kyle Cody, RHP, Kentucky. My "reach" pick, as he's ranked No. 19, but he's the type of college arm who could move up boards with a strong junior season. At 6-foot-7, 245 pounds, he's a future workhorse, with more than enough stuff to start. The Cubs' glut of position players and dearth of pitching prospects has been well-documented.

My opinion is if Aiken scares off teams I would have to take a flyer on him. He had T.J. on March 26th so I could see him drop down to the Cubs pick. I would take him as I believe that the Cubs are just trying to acquire talent vs depending on the draft. They will use F/A and trade for current needs and for future needs the draft will see what pans out.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
I could go into great detail as to why but I'm just going to throw out and say the offense is better than people think. My view is it's just inconsistency and players slumping who will be better. Cogs for example has 4 HRs and has hit .270/.372/.622 over his past 14 games not including today. That being said, the cubs bench is pretty garbage. Ross has a decent OBP but can't hit for average(.171/.326/.286). Herrera is hitting .205/.222/.250. Baxter hasn't seen much time but is hitting .000/.167/.000. Lake hasn't been too bad at .273/.304/.318. Then again Olt, La Stella, and Deno have all been hurt.

wklink

CBMB refugee
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Seattle Sounders FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
They need more offense.

In all honesty, the don't need more offense, they just need the offense that they do have to mature and become more consistant. This I think will happen. To be honest I have been happier with the way the younger players are handling the pressure of these games. We are still in the lower half of the NL in batting average but OBP is in the top five and slugging is mid range. I think this will increase as times goes on and the young kids continue to improve.

Another bat would be great but right now we are doing fairly well. I have been more impressed with out bullpen's ability to hold these games close. Our pitching still needs an arm or two but is more solid than I would have thought. I still don't think we will do better than 500 this year but that is a big improvement.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
In all honesty, the don't need more offense, they just need the offense that they do have to mature and become more consistant. This I think will happen. To be honest I have been happier with the way the younger players are handling the pressure of these games. We are still in the lower half of the NL in batting average but OBP is in the top five and slugging is mid range. I think this will increase as times goes on and the young kids continue to improve.
So in other words, they need more offense. ;)

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:

Another bat would be great but right now we are doing fairly well. I have been more impressed with out bullpen's ability to hold these games close. Our pitching still needs an arm or two but is more solid than I would have thought. I still don't think we will do better than 500 this year but that is a big improvement.

To start the season I think the expectation of .500 was a valid one, now I think it has to be greater than that. As of today the pace is a 90 win team so 88-90 should be the goal. This isn't a team that's likely to win a World Series this year but I do think it's very important that they compete for a playoff spot. That means continuing to win 1 run games and to do that there have to be some trades. The bullpen needs another arm and hopefully that's Ramirez on his return. Baez could be the offensive boost but then it's likely
they don't trade for a pitcher. In any case it will be interesting.