Optimistic View Of the WR position

BEARSWAGGER

Liked Posts:
This is a lot of what if's but...

What If We sign Allen Robinson?
What if Cam Merideth comes back and takes that next step?
What if Kevin White finally lives somewhat up to expectations?
What if we draft a mid round rookie and he looks like a building block? (Think of a Cooper Kupp type of impact)
What if Albert Wilson absolutely thrives in this system?

I think most fans are in panic mode after last season after the crap we trotted out at WR but my point is do we really need to sign a premiere FA WR that will take up a lot of cap room from another spot on the roster? Kansas City didn't exactly have the most elite WR core in the NFL. Maybe we should attack with more of a Moncrief, Jordan Mathews type player. Would a Jordan Mathews and an upgrade at RT make a bigger diference?

Would a hypothetical WR core of
Cam Merideth
Jordan Mathews
(rookie with a Cooper Kupp type impact)
Kevin White
Albert Wilson
Really be that bad?

Still add in Cohen, Baby Gronk and a possible Trey Burton

Flame away!

Icemanx

Liked Posts:
I want Robinson or Watkins or both period.

gobullschi

Liked Posts:
Honestly I do not think you NEED a Tier 1 Wide Receiver to have a successful offense. There are a lot of NFL teams that are playoff caliber teams that do not have one of the top receivers in the league:
-> Patriots
->Jags (Robinson was out)
->Vikings
->Panthers
->Chiefs

Prior to any roster cuts, of the available wide receivers available in free agency I would rank them:
Tier 1:
Allen Robinson
Sammy Watkins

Tier 2:
Jordan Matthews
Cam Meredith
Marquise Lee

Tier 3:
Paul Richardson
Donte Moncreif
Terrelle Pryor
Mike Wallace
Eric Decker

I don't think it will be the end of the world if we are unable to land Watkins/Robinson because there are some other decent options like you suggested. I think that because DeShaun Watson played so well and he had Fuller/Hopkins, that everyone wants Mitch to have some comparable talent to better judge the choice at QB.

SugarWalls

Liked Posts:
Honestly I do not think you NEED a Tier 1 Wide Receiver to have a successful offense. There are a lot of NFL teams that are playoff caliber teams that do not have one of the top receivers in the league:
-> Patriots
->Jags (Robinson was out)
->Vikings
->Panthers
->Chiefs

Are you serious?

Patriots - Danny Amendola, Julian Edelman, Brandin Cooks, Gronk -- Absolutely fucking loaded
Vikings - Adam Thielen, Stefon Diggs, Kyle Rudolph -- pretty dang good even though they dont have necessarily a 'top 5' WR
Chiefs - Tyreek Hill, Travis Kelce --- ummmm Kelce is maybe the best TE in the game right now, tyreek hill is lights out
Jags - Allen Hurns, Marquise Lee, -- These guys are decent but ill giv eyou this one, they got their on the backs of that defense.
Panthers - Greg Olsen, Devin Funchess --- Not bad, but also not a top tier team

Teams with great WR's at the top of the league.... Saints, Steelers, Falcons, the super bowl winning Eagles.

I don't give 2 shits what deshaun watson did, the bears need offensive weapons. Allen Robinson/sammy watkins or bust.

gobullschi

Liked Posts:
Are you serious?

Patriots - Danny Amendola, Julian Edelman, Brandin Cooks, Gronk -- Absolutely fucking loaded
Vikings - Adam Thielen, Stefon Diggs, Kyle Rudolph -- pretty dang good even though they dont have necessarily a 'top 5' WR
Chiefs - Tyreek Hill, Travis Kelce --- ummmm Kelce is maybe the best TE in the game right now, tyreek hill is lights out
Jags - Allen Hurns, Marquise Lee, -- These guys are decent but ill giv eyou this one, they got their on the backs of that defense.

Teams with great WR's at the top of the league.... Saints, Steelers, Falcons, the super bowl winning Eagles.

I don't give 2 shits what deshaun watson did, the bears need offensive weapons. Allen Robinson/sammy watkins or bust.

Yes I am serious.

I didnt say those teams didnt have a good group. I said they didnt have a top (#1) receiver i.e. Julio Jones, DeAndre Hopkins, AJ Green.

Missing on Robinson/Watkins wouldnt be the end of the world. There are still guys like Graham and Matthews available.

satchice

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Yes I am serious.

I didnt say those teams didnt have a good group. I said they didnt have a top (#1) receiver i.e. Julio Jones, DeAndre Hopkins, AJ Green.

Missing on Robinson/Watkins wouldnt be the end of the world. There are still guys like Graham and Matthews available.

Again are you serious?

We are not asking for top (#1) receiver i.e. Julio Jones, DeAndre Hopkins, AJ Green.
All we need is a good group of guys like at least one good player Robinson or Watkins not both and compliment them with some average players like Meredith and Wilson. What we absolutely most avoid is having the best option an average player and compliment them with below average players.

Don't you think it is kind of funny how out of the list of teams you listed the only one that doesn't have any star receiver is the Jags and most people say that the jags only weakness is there passing game.

Visionman

Liked Posts:
The new offense, a 2nd year Trubisky, Wilson added, and a halfway healthy WR corps will do wonders and I think can be successful enough, as long as our defense and running game remain strong. Anything beyond that is gravy, IMO...

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Are you serious?

Amendola and Edelman, like most Pats WRs over the last 20 years, are not top receivers. They're guys who look great in New England's offense. If they were on the Bears doing nothing, they'd be part of the "but he has no weapons" brigade.

NCChiFan

Bald, fat, toothless
Donator
Liked Posts:

Tier 3:
Paul Richardson
Donte Moncreif
Terrelle Pryor
Mike Wallace
Eric Decker

Sadly, this group is better than what the Bears fielded last year.

Monster

Liked Posts:
Amendola and Edelman, like most Pats WRs over the last 20 years, are not top receivers. They're guys who look great in New England's offense. If they were on the Bears doing nothing, they'd be part of the "but he has no weapons" brigade.
Tom does that...

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

What if we draft a mid round rookie and he looks like a building block? (Think of a Cooper Kupp type of impact)

I think most fans are in panic mode after last season after the crap we trotted out at WR but my point is do we really need to sign a premiere FA WR that will take up a lot of cap room from another spot on the roster? Kansas City didn't exactly have the most elite WR core in the NFL. Maybe we should attack with more of a Moncrief, Jordan Mathews type player. Would a Jordan Mathews and an upgrade at RT make a bigger diference?

Cam Merideth
Jordan Mathews
Kevin White
Albert Wilson
Really be that bad?

Flame away!

That is not good.

We have a young QB and a young play calling HC, lets not knee cap them out of the gate together.

If you can guarantee a Cooper Kupp from a rookie WR then sure, unfortunately most rookie WRs do nothing.

SugarWalls

Liked Posts:

You are greatly under rating Edelman, and gronk is one of the top receiving threats in the nfl.

gobullschi

Liked Posts:
Again are you serious?

We are not asking for top (#1) receiver i.e. Julio Jones, DeAndre Hopkins, AJ Green.
All we need is a good group of guys like at least one good player Robinson or Watkins not both and compliment them with some average players like Meredith and Wilson. What we absolutely most avoid is having the best option an average player and compliment them with below average players.

Don't you think it is kind of funny how out of the list of teams you listed the only one that doesn't have any star receiver is the Jags and most people say that the jags only weakness is there passing game.

Yes I am serious and I am starting to question whether you can seriously read.

You ask if I am serious and then confirm that nearly all the teams listed do not have a top wide out. 3 of the teams have top tight ends though.

There are plenty of superbowl teams that havent had a top WR but the point I keep making that you arent comprehending is that if you don't have a top wide receiver then you need a group of tier 2 receivers.

Robinson/Watkins are a top priority. If we miss, signing Matthews and Graham might be are next best option.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange

Cam Merideth
Jordan Mathews
Kevin White
Albert Wilson
Really be that bad?

Flame away!

I'm one of the few or maybe the only one that's said i would be alright with getting a 2nd/3rd tier WR this year or two and then drafting one in the middle rounds then using the rest of our money and draft to get better everywhere else and then making the main focus next off season getting that legit #1 WR inb free agency or the draft.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I'm one of the few or maybe the only one that's said i would be alright with getting a 2nd/3rd tier WR this year or two and then drafting one in the middle rounds then using the rest of our money and draft to get better everywhere else and then making the main focus next off season getting that legit #1 WR inb free agency or the draft.

I would prefer to try and maximize Trubisky's 2018. Not make him flop around with mediocre weapons for another season.

How good the rest of the team is doesn't really matter, we are going as far as Trubisky takes us.

Reactions: Myk

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
I would prefer to try and maximize Trubisky's 2018. Not make him flop around with mediocre weapons for another season.

How good the rest of the team is doesn't really matter, we are going as far as Trubisky takes us.

That, getting good WRs is more about making Trubisky great in the long run than making the team great in the short run.

TheWinman

2020 CCS Survivor Fantasy Football Champion
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Are you serious?

no tier ones there.

We are talking wr's not TE's