OT: Cuban slugger Jose Dariel Abreau escapes Cuba, location unknown

JosMin

Entirely too much tuna
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/...tml?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Slugging first baseman Jose Dariel Abreu has escaped from Cuba and is elsewhere in the Caribbean, Jorge Ebro of El Nuevo Herald reports. It is unclear where Abreu is now (Ebro notes that various reports have placed Abreu in the Dominican Republic and in Haiti), but one agent with whom Abreu has had contact confirms that he is not in Cuba.

If in fact Abreu can make his way into the MLB free agent market, he'd have an enormous impact, likely earning the largest contract ever given to a Cuban player. The 26-year-old hit .453/.597/.986 in Cuba's Serie Nacional in 2010-2011 before hitting .394/.542/.837 in 2011-2012 and .382/.535/.735 in 2012-2013. Also in 2013, he hit .360/.385/.760 in six games for Cuba in the World Baseball Classic.

Those are, of course, stunning numbers, and ESPN Deportes' Jorge Morejon notes that Abreu will likely also benefit from a rising tide of good play by Cuban defectors like Yasiel Puig and Yoenis Cespedes. Grantland's Jonah Keri wrote in 2012 that Abreu "just might be the best hitter in the world," and Abreu's entry into the free agent market would surely be accompanied by a tidal wave of hype. Major League teams may not think quite the same way -- Keri notes that Abreu isn't particularly athletic, which might dampen teams' enthusiasm somewhat. But he quotes Athletics assistant GM David Forst comparing Abreu to Ryan Howard, which would still make Abreu a very valuable commodity.

Since Abreu is over 23 and has played Cuban professional baseball for more than three years, he would enter the market as an unrestricted free agent. He would appear to be in excellent position to receive more than Puig, who got seven years and $42MM from the Dodgers last June.

The rumor is the Dodgers sent him a dinghy and he'll be arriving at Magic Johnson's palatial suite within a few days where he'll sign a contract three times as big as Puig's. Dude smashed in the WBC earlier this year. He's been compared to Ryan Howard, which is like comparing your wife to Star Jones. He's going to get huge money, it'll be interesting to see who makes the splash.

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/...tml?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

The rumor is the Dodgers sent him a dinghy and he'll be arriving at Magic Johnson's palatial suite within a few days where he'll sign a contract three times as big as Puig's. Dude smashed in the WBC earlier this year. He's been compared to Ryan Howard, which is like comparing your wife to Star Jones. He's going to get huge money, it'll be interesting to see who makes the splash.

I read where Theo and Jed were flying down to see him in their private hot air balloon. The ETA is unpredictable however because the wind is still blowing 10-15 MPH North East. They have recently been spotted somewhere around Toronto. :smug2:

mountsalami

Liked Posts:
I read where Theo and Jed were flying down to see him in their private hot air balloon. The ETA is unpredictable however because the wind is still blowing 10-15 MPH North East. They have recently been spotted somewhere around Toronto. :smug2:

Doesn't sound any different from any of the other progress they've made thus far.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
"After defecting from his native Cuba, first baseman Jose Dariel Abreu has chosen Barry Praver and Bart Hernandez of Praver Shapiro Sports Management to represent him, reports Jeff Passan of Yahoo Sports (via Twitter)." - MLBTR

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
Wonder if we can buy high and convince him to move to the OF, though that could block Soler, Almora, or Bryant, it is still a good problem to have, and gives us more time than if we were to sign him as a 1B.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
wouldnt surprise me if yankees go overboard for him... cubs only bite if he can and willing to play a corner OF spot next yr.

If this kid can hit and help with the offense ib 2014 , worry about prospects when their ready .they.make good trade bait for needed help.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
wouldnt surprise me if yankees go overboard for him... cubs only bite if he can and willing to play a corner OF spot next yr.

If this kid can hit and help with the offense ib 2014 , worry about prospects when their ready .they.make good trade bait for needed help.

That's why I said "its a good problem to have". :yep:

TL1961

Liked Posts:
As heavy as he is, I think he's 1st or DH, and 1st won't be pretty.

waldo7239117

Driving Wreckless DA Best
Donator
Liked Posts:
I seen he will only stay at 1B or DH, but DH a more likely place. I think Boston goes all in for him.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Screw Boston and NY.

I wish he'd wind up in KC or Toronto. (Never going to happen, of course)

Flacco4Prez

Liked Posts:
If they get him and he is ML ready see if Rizzo could move. If Abreau is effective, Rizzo could possibly be a center piece for Price.

waldo7239117

Driving Wreckless DA Best
Donator
Liked Posts:
If they get him and he is ML ready see if Rizzo could move. If Abreau is effective, Rizzo could possibly be a center piece for Price.

Yeah, that could make sense. But he'll be out of the Cubs range, the Cubs won't go at his price.