OT: Giannis Antetokounmpo

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Haven't seen much of the Bucks this year but just started catching up on them a bit and saw this kid play. Holy shit. He needs to bulk up or get stronger a bit but in a few years this could be a scary scary thing. Like Paul George scary. His feel for the game is unreal and for a kid that long he moves really well.

ChicagoGr

Liked Posts:
I've been watching the Bucks a lot this year just because of him and yeah he has the potential to become great.
He was really lucky to be drafted by a team that was willing to develop him straight away, not sending him to d-league.
Also, I read yesterday that the Bucks are moving him into the starting lineup.
So proud of him, has the potential to be the first Greek player to be successful in the NBA!

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I don't know how to say his name.

JosMin

Entirely too much tuna
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
I don't know how to say his name.

Big Dick McGee.

But seriously, his ability to play the open floor at his size is kind of ridiculous, especially when you consider he's only 19 and played against fairly shitty competition in Greece. His length is exceptional and as he gets experience and adds a bit of weight, he could easily play the 1 through 4 with no problems. I'm excited to see how he develops as a two-way player. He definitely has the chops on offense to be a ridiculous stat stuffer, but defense is that one thing guys really have to dedicate themselves to, especially if they don't want their offense to suffer in spite of it. The Bucks actually have an interesting collection of guys with him, Larry Sanders and John Henson. The problem is they're all natural power forwards, so it kind of creates a log jam. It sucks the Bucks stupidly extended Larry Sanders after he showed such a small sample size of improvement. But... that's the Bucks for you. If you throw an elite shooter into the mix and a true center (maybe Marcus Smart in the draft and a trade for Omer Asik), that could actually be a very interesting core going forward.

FirstTimer

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Big Dick McGee.

But seriously, his ability to play the open floor at his size is kind of ridiculous, especially when you consider he's only 19 and played against fairly shitty competition in Greece. His length is exceptional and as he gets experience and adds a bit of weight, he could easily play the 1 through 4 with no problems. I'm excited to see how he develops as a two-way player. He definitely has the chops on offense to be a ridiculous stat stuffer, but defense is that one thing guys really have to dedicate themselves to, especially if they don't want their offense to suffer in spite of it. The Bucks actually have an interesting collection of guys with him, Larry Sanders and John Henson. The problem is they're all natural power forwards, so it kind of creates a log jam. It sucks the Bucks stupidly extended Larry Sanders after he showed such a small sample size of improvement. But... that's the Bucks for you. If you throw an elite shooter into the mix and a true center (maybe Marcus Smart in the draft and a trade for Omer Asik), that could actually be a very interesting core going forward.

Scary thing to me is I don't think Giannis is a natural PF. I think he's a natural point forward/SF in a Paul George mold. I remember watching his tape before the draft and thinking "What's the big deal. He doesn't look like anything." That Greece league literally made him look horrible. Like I mentioned yesterday his feel for the game from a passing perspective is already really good...like scary good considering the league he came from.

JosMin

Entirely too much tuna
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Scary thing to me is I don't think Giannis is a natural PF. I think he's a natural point forward/SF in a Paul George mold. I remember watching his tape before the draft and thinking "What's the big deal. He doesn't look like anything." That Greece league literally made him look horrible. Like I mentioned yesterday his feel for the game from a passing perspective is already really good...like scary good considering the league he came from.

Yeah, I definitely think it's a symptom of "playing down to your competition." If you're playing against shitty guys with little to no skill, it's going to make you seem somewhat incompetent, regardless of your natural talent. I'm interested to see how he improves in his first year with this increase PT.

FirstTimer

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yeah, I definitely think it's a symptom of "playing down to your competition." If you're playing against shitty guys with little to no skill, it's going to make you seem somewhat incompetent, regardless of your natural talent. I'm interested to see how he improves in his first year with this increase PT.

What made the film odd though is like say you watch a guy agaisnt HSers. You could see Jabari, Wiggins etc take over games and dominate and seem impressive against chubby 18 year olds. All of it was there. Giannis vs the Greek league didn't have that same feeling and he didn't look nearly as explosive as he does now. His shooting looked worse etc. The first game of NBA basketball I watched him play I was thinking "Where the hell did he get THAT first step/explosion/speed from?" "How did he thread THAT pass in?" That's stuff that should still be seen against shitty Greek teams and wasn't. Just really odd.

RoseMVP1

Liked Posts:
He doesn't play PF, he plays SG for the Bucks.

ChicagoGr

Liked Posts:
Was very good yesterday against the Thunder and earned Durant's praise. 13 pts, 11 reb, 5 ast, 2 blocks(on Durant) and 2 steals.
"He played hard," Durant said. "He gave up his body for his team. I'd go to war with a guy like that any night.

"He's going to be a treat to watch. He's going to keep getting better and gaining experience. That's the best thing for him, just to start him and let him play. He's going to be really good."

[video=youtube;j_BOkyq_H3E]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_BOkyq_H3E[/video]

He's probably the only good thing that has happened to the bucks this year

ginny

Liked Posts:

Bucks want to move Gary Neal right???

Bulls get:
Neal
Antetokounmpo

Bucks get:
Hinrich's expiring contract.
One of the many Bulls 2nd rd pk's

BigP50

04-21-2012
Liked Posts:
Has been playing awesome so far. If the Bucks get a top pick and land a guy like Parker or Wiggins, the Bucks could be on the move up!

JosMin

Entirely too much tuna
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:

Bulls get:
Neal
Antetokounmpo

Bucks get:

There is a 0% chance that deal would even get discussed, let alone happen.

RoseMVP1

Liked Posts:

Bulls get:
Neal
Antetokounmpo

Bucks get:

If PaxGar called and proposed that deal here would be the reaction of the Buck's GM:
:andruw:

then he would hang up.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

Bulls get:
Neal
Antetokounmpo

Bucks get:
This is an excellent unrealistic trade

I'd trade all of our 2nd round picks for him though lol

thechosenone

Liked Posts:
I said it before he was drafted, that he was the most gifted European including Mirotic in the comparison, and not because he is Greek. But I can't project him being a player like Paul George. I see him ending up a player like Batum but better in defense and worse in offense. Not bad at all. An ideal 3rd player for any team. I hope he proves me wrong.

Shepard

Renegade
Donator
Liked Posts:
I live in SE Wisconsin and have sat a row off the floor three times this year at the BC with my father who is an avid Bucks fan. I follow them relatively closely as apparently several of you here do as well.

I was at the BC when M-Dun's bank 3 pointer to beat the buzzer went for the winner...the only reason the Bulls won that game is because Drew took out Giannis as he was destroying us.

I don't really have too much more to add than what was already pointed out in this thread- but I will say the local word around the Bucks that I hear is they don't view Giannis as a 4 at all, but a 3. I'd view him as a step above Batum athletically- much like Batum was a step above a Tyshaun Prince athletically coming up.

I love what the Bucks have done this year in regards to not only tanking, but playing a bunch of young players and evaluating what they actually have. Henson & Giannis are two really long players with high ceilings. I don't hate Knight, either. Love the Bucks.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Apparently he's got a brother in the DLeague. Learned that today lol