OT - James Bettcher To Be Hired As NYG Defensive Coordinator

Milton Waddams

Liked Posts:
Link

The New York Giants are hiring former Arizona Cardinals assistant coach James Bettcher to serve as their new defensive coordinator under head coach Pat Shurmur, according to multiple reports.

Bruce Arians had hoped Bettcher would be named as his replacement as head coach of the Cardinals when Arians elected to retire at the end of the season. But after interviewing Bettcher for the job, Arizona chose Steve Wilks to be their new head coach. Wilks is expected to bring in Al Holcomb as his defensive coordinator with the Cardinals, which left Bettcher in search of another opportunity.

Bettcher was expected to meet with the Giants and Tennessee Titans about their defensive coordinator positions on Tuesday at the Senior Bowl.

Bettcher served as the Cardinals defensive coordinator the last three seasons. He replaced Todd Bowles after he was hired as head coach of the New York Jets in 2015. Bettcher had been the team’s outside linebackers coach the previous two years.

484237316-e1516767666246.jpg

dweebs19

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Giants with some good hires. I like this

PolarBear

Liked Posts:
Bettcher is the exact type of respected/productive DC Shurmur needed.

The interesting thing will be seeing the Giants transition to a 3-4 despite having arguably the best defence in the league just a season ago.

Giants got this right.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
Very much like the Bears, but in reverse, where the offensive head coach is an old vet and the defensive coordinator is a young up and coming guy. Right there with the Bears for best overall hires imo.

Noonthirtyjoe

Liked Posts:
I still think our Bears got the top staff, but NY is putting together a nice staff.

Chicago Staleys

Realist
Liked Posts:
The Giants have some key pieces already in place, a big market for FAs, good coaching staff, and high draft picks to immediately turn their one season disaster around.

Luke

Liked Posts:
I would have been happy if Pace hired Shurmur/Bettcher as well as Shurmur was my 1 and Nagy 1A HC picks. I wonder if anyone is going to hire Flip as their OC, maybe AZ?

dennehy

Liked Posts:
I would have been happy if Pace hired Shurmur/Bettcher as well as Shurmur was my 1 and Nagy 1A HC picks. I wonder if anyone is going to hire Flip as their OC, maybe AZ?

Rumor is Defilippo to AZ.

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Bettcher is bound to get plucked in a year or two. Will be in the same boat as the Bears were with Fox/Gase.

Chicago4Life

Liked Posts:
Bettcher is the exact type of respected/productive DC Shurmur needed.

The interesting thing will be seeing the Giants transition to a 3-4 despite having arguably the best defence in the league just a season ago.

Giants got this right.

they have most of the personnel for the switch...snacks played in a 3-4 prior to the giants. tomlinson played inside and outside at alabama and vernon and jpp should have no issue as OLB's. they are a good ILB and DE away from being a top defense.

Washington

Liked Posts:
Well done by Shurmur! He got himself a very good one.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Its arguably easier to turn a defense into a 3-4 than a 4-3 because the college ranks are producing more 3-4 talent than 4-3 imo. I don't think the Giants will take long at all to transition. Plus we already know that regardless of what base defense you run you're still going to be presenting a 4 man front 60+% of the time.