OT: Lions blew chance to tag and trade Golladay

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Lions GM Brad Holmes: 'We mulled' tag and trade with Kenny Golladay

Brad Holmes gave serious consideration to signing wide receiver Kenny Golladay to the franchise tag and then trying to trade him, but ultimately that scenario proved too risky for the Detroit Lions' first-year general manager, Dave Birkett of the Detroit Free Press reports.

Holmes made that revelation during a 20-minute video conference Monday to discuss the team's many offseason moves.

Golladay signed a four-year, $72 million deal with the New York Giants earlier this month that was one of the richest contracts in free agency.

Had the Lions used the tag on Golladay, they would have been able to control his rights for the 2021 season at the cost of about $16 million.

"We did discuss it and we mulled over it," Holmes said. "I wasn’t joking when I said he was at the forefront of my mind throughout the whole process. But we did discuss those options and it just, there is some difficultly in terms of forecasting that’s involved. So that’s kind of why you probably may see (moves like that are) more prevalent in the NBA versus the NFL."

Historically, teams have gotten more in return from tag-and-trade deals than the compensatory draft choice they get for losing a free agent, in Golladay's case, a projected third-rounder.

Holmes said the depth of the wide receiver position both in free agency and the draft and "how the market was shaping out" led him to pass on both tagging Golladay and pursuing Golladay to re-sign.

A Pro Bowl receiver in 2019 who was limited to five games with hip and hamstring injuries last season, Golladay was widely considered one of the top players on the market regardless of position, but the Giants appeared to be bidding against themselves - at least at the $18 million-per-season price point - for Golladay's services.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Dumb fucks didn't realize how much interest there would be

for sure could have got at least a late round pick

Montucky

Liked Posts:
These guys all have job security through 2022 at least, they were probably fine taking the third rounder a year down the road. Could've gotten a lot more though. Kenny Golladay was the only elite wide receiver available, teams would've lined up get a crack at him. Bears should be trading Allen Robinson II right now, but instead they're going to pay him twice what he's worth because the front office is in this weird panic mode of flailing around helplessly.

Spitta Andretti

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
These guys all have job security through 2022 at least, they were probably fine taking the third rounder a year down the road. Could've gotten a lot more though. Kenny Golladay was the only elite wide receiver available, teams would've lined up get a crack at him. Bears should be trading Allen Robinson II right now, but instead they're going to pay him twice what he's worth because the front office is in this weird panic mode of flailing around helplessly.

so youre saying hes only worth 9m a year?

Montucky

Liked Posts:
so youre saying hes only worth 9m a year?
More like twelve. I was certainly being a little hyperbolic. Nonetheless, the Bears are taking a larger cap hit for Allen Robinson II than the Chiefs are for Tyreek Hill or the Cardinals are for DeAndre Hopkins. As much as I like Robinson II, he's nowhere near the elite level talent those two are.

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
The thing about trading a player is you have to have a trading partner with an acceptable offer.

Thanks.

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
good point

still hilarious tho that they so underestimated what the demand for him would be
Demand at what he signed for wasn't that great, Bears offered what, 12 mil? What your claiming has no merit, you think the Giants would have given up a second round pick, plus 17 mil (or more if the renegotiated) ?

2nd rnd pick + 17 mil > 18 mil

But based on your premise, the Bears should have no problem trading AR for a 2nd or first, so lets see if that happens.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Demand at what he signed for wasn't that great, Bears offered what, 12 mil? What your claiming has no merit, you think the Giants would have given up a second round pick, plus 17 mil (or more if the renegotiated) ?

2nd rnd pick + 17 mil > 18 mil

But based on your premise, the Bears should have no problem trading AR for a 2nd or first, so lets see if that happens.

what even is this?

I didnt say anything about a 2nd round pick

and what is that math there? da fuck?

i think ur too mad to keep ur thoughts straight bro

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
what even is this?

I didnt say anything about a 2nd round pick

and what is that math there? da fuck?

i think ur too mad to keep ur thoughts straight bro

Are you totally clueless?

Tag was 16.9 mil
To tag and trade means the teams that were to trade for him would agree to pay him 16.9 mill, plus give up at least a second round pack, as the Lions would get a 3rd if they just released him.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

Tag was 16.9 mil
To tag and trade means the teams that were to trade for him would agree to pay him 16.9 mill, plus give up at least a second round pack, as the Lions would get a 3rd if they just released him.

better hold on to your kneecaps!

Montucky

Liked Posts:

Tag was 16.9 mil
99% chance the team that traded for him would immediately work out an extension.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
99% chance the team that traded for him would immediately work out an extension.
and traded pick>>> comp pick that can disappear with a signing. Either way it's not a big story.

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
I think the bigger story here is that the Lions view the Draft class as a strong one for WR. Maybe those of you on here that are saying the same thing, it gives you some credibility, or....