OT: Race to Five (Interesting NBA Storyline)

??? ??????

Liked Posts:
This is a storyline that I hadn't even thought of, but after seeing it, I think it's a pretty cool thing to look out for this season.

It's a barroom/barbershop argument with legs. And those gams? They can really turn heads. It's the rare hypothetical worth working over. It's something worth discussing, if you'd like me to get to the point.

Kobe Bryant(notes), Tim Duncan(notes), and Shaquille O'Neal(notes) all have four NBA championship rings. With each player securely placed on a championship contender, heading into 2009-10, which star do we see getting his fifth ring first?

Each owns sound arguments in their favor.

Bryant, arguably, is on the best team. He has the best supporting unit in the game. He's a month removed from picking up that fourth ring, and despite his 30 (soon to be 31) years of age, he's hardly on the downside of his career. In fact, he's peaking, and he's got a Pau Gasol(notes) on his side. To say nothing of a Phil Jackson, and a competitive spirit that few in NBA history can match.

His former teammate, the loquacious Mr. O'Neal, is on the downside of his career. And though his new team in Cleveland can't boast the sort of depth Kobe can rely on from teammates 1-through-15, O'Neal does get to play second fiddle to the best player in the game. And Shaq, as is his custom, won't let that fact go unmentioned. Over, and over, again.

Tim Duncan, as has always been the case, takes a quieter tone. His supporting cast resembles the game he's most comfortable with. Reserved. Talented. Fundamentally-driven. Efficient. Dangerous. Title-worthy. The guy is so good, his team is so great, that we can barely get in one word before the sentence ends itself.

So who gets to five first? Remember, this isn't an argument bred to determine who would be the best player amongst the three. Though it isn't a huge advantage, Kobe probably takes the honor, at this point.

It's a team game, and we're trying to guess at which crew seems the most fit for pulling in a title. It doesn't even have to be in 2010, and while we're at it, Shaq (a free agent one year from now) doesn't even have to be a Cleveland Cavalier while grabbing that fifth Lawrence O'Brien Trophy.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/ba...t=AhSZn.oAkzP1mdZWRo02TB28vLYF?urn=nba,174632

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Wow I totally forgot about Timmy having 4 rings. It will be interesting to watch indeed.

??? ??????

Liked Posts:
Hopefully Timmy can get his fifth ring. I've always enjoyed watching the Spurs. Popovich is such a great coach, and Parker, Ginobili, and Duncan all great players. They made so few mistakes, and always executed Pop's gameplan. They don't lose because they lose focus or other stupid reasons, like a team like the Bulls will. When they get beat, they simply get beat.

I think after this year, it will be tough for a team like the Spurs to win a championship, although I wouldn't count them out...but I wouldn't be counting with them with Duncan being on the wrong side of 35. I think we will see the Miami and Cleveland allstar teams (I'd predict Lebron/Bosh in Cleveland and Wade/Amare/Beasley in Miami), and those teams will be really hard to beat.

TheStig

Liked Posts:
Duncan needs another big on that team. Bonner isn't going to cut it, if they can get Sheed and stay healthy, I think they are the favorites.

Shakes

Iconoclast
Liked Posts:
I think Blair is a guy who can come in and help straight away. The Spurs don't really care if his knees are crap and he's out of the league in a year or two, because that's their window.

TheStig

Liked Posts:
Blair is a guy who can rebound, thats it. He won't score and he won't defend. He is Reggie Evans. You can't play him big minutes on a championship team. They need another legit big desperately otherwise they aren't going anywhere.

Shakes

Iconoclast
Liked Posts:
I don't know, Blair strikes me as the "undersized PF who falls in the draft then goes on to be a solid NBA player" every draft seems to have. Whether or not he can contribute much in his first year I don't know though.

pinkizdead

Liked Posts:
if the spurs get a legit pf/c, they're contenders again. they're stacked with talent.

parker/mason/jefferson/duncan/rasheed? the backup is hill/GINOBLI!(insert barkely voice)/finley/blair/bonner they might need another big if blair doesnt work out.

pinkizdead

Liked Posts:
besides gooden, sheed is the only other big out there. i really wish that the spurs could get younger. they need a legit center. Tim is too old to guard the centers out there. his body cant handle it.