OT: Tigers Interested In Penny And Other Starters

Ohio13State

The Future and Present.
Liked Posts:
he Tigers are still trying to upgrade their rotation, according to Jon Paul Morosi of FOX Sports. The team is considering veteran starters, including Brad Penny. GM Dave Dombrowski pushed to acquire Shaun Marcum from the Blue Jays before Toronto sent him to Milwaukee, Morosi reports. Carl Pavano, however, does not appear to interest the Tigers.

Penny, 32, posted a 3.23 ERA with 5.7 K/9 and 1.5 BB/9 in 55 2/3 innings for the Cardinals last year. However, the right-hander did not pitch after May 21st because of a shoulder strain.

The Tigers have addressed their needs aggressively this offseason and could field a competitive team right now. Justin Verlander, Max Scherzer, Rick Porcello, Phil Coke and Armando Galarraga are the team's current starters, but it sounds as though they may have some competition by the time Spring Training begins.

Source: MLB Rumors

Captain Iago

Giver of Occular Proof
Donator
Liked Posts:
Anything the Tigers do puts the Tigers into a position to contend with us.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
look at minnys losses this offseason, it is getting overlooked. det may be the team to worry about more.

ChiSportsRich

Liked Posts:
look at minnys losses this offseason, it is getting overlooked. det may be the team to worry about more.

The issue, I feel, is the Twins always have that guy that nobody notices that contributes. but the Tigers have gotten much better and look, at this point, to be the team we'll have to contend with.

nickofypres

Super Nintendo Chalmers
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Toledo Rockets
Detroit is a solid third place team.

nickofypres

Super Nintendo Chalmers
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Toledo Rockets
It's December.

Yes. But I don't see them making a ton of drastic more moves, except adding another SP.

The core is in place, and they plan on using Mudhens to fill the rest of their needs unless they can pick up somebody on the scrapheap for cheap.

ChiSportsRich

Liked Posts:
Yes. But I don't see them making a ton of drastic more moves, except adding another SP.

The core is in place, and they plan on using Mudhens to fill the rest of their needs unless they can pick up somebody on the scrapheap for cheap.

The Tigers really need to get better starting pitching. Clearly, the offense will be excellent, but without something to go along with Verlander I don't see how they will be any better than last year. Also, the back-end of the bullpen is gonna be solid, but, as has been discussed before, relievers go up and down from year to year.

ChiSportsRich

Liked Posts:

Totally agree, but we have seen the Twins do well after some big losses, see Johan Santana. Although they have lost much more than just a starting pitcher this year. The Twins always have those guys who can just step in and do well unlike any other franchise