OT: What would Wilt be able to do in today's NBA?

houheffna

Ignoring Idiots
Liked Posts:
Wilt was a premier rebounder in the league also. I think he would have been more 22-13 than 16-10, that is awfully low for a player like Wilt.

Also, it is refreshing how people show Olajuwon respect on this forum, I always thought I was alone in my feelings about his play. It is good there are others who respect his game and accomplishments like I do.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Also for the record, no one except mr. frank breakfast-styleham is saying that Wilt is the best of all time. Everyone else agrees unanimously that Jordan is the best ever. The point of this is that Wilt could still play in today's NBA assuming he got whatever training that every other NBA player got. Wilt could definitely be an all-star today. Jordan is timeless and could play in any era and dominate.

??? ??????

Liked Posts:
clonetrooper264 wrote:
Also for the record, no one except mr. frank breakfast-styleham is saying that Wilt is the best of all time. Everyone else agrees unanimously that Jordan is the best ever. The point of this is that Wilt could still play in today's NBA assuming he got whatever training that every other NBA player got. Wilt could definitely be an all-star today. Jordan is timeless and could play in any era and dominate.

No doubt that Wilt would most likely be an allstar if he grew up with today's training.

But just taking Wilt, as he was, and dropping him into today's game, he wouldn't be much more than a role player. Probably seen as a solid rebounder and shotblocker, with little to no offensive game. His post moves just wouldn't fly against today's bigger, more athletic centers.

But if he grew up with training, he probably would have developed a baby hook and jump hook, rather than his unorthodox hook shot. But Wilt as he was, with his reach over hook would have a difficult time scoring.

houheffna

Ignoring Idiots
Liked Posts:
No doubt, but I am thinking size and strength, in today's game, I believe he would be closer to 290, and he would have been great in today's time.

Bullsman24

Mr Metta World Peace
Liked Posts:
Re:OT: What would Wilt be able to do in today's NB

i think that he might not have been considered in a list of greatest all time, probably not a top 50 player either, but wilt would be an all star, especially in today's east.

kareem could dominate any era. no one can block that shot, not even manute bol and hakeem olajuwan (arguably the greatest defensive player ever)

dougthonus

Liked Posts:
Fred wrote:
I also agree that Kareem would be fantastic today. I think he was a lot better than Wilt. Wilt and Bill Russell, the 2 premier big men of that day, would have a difficult time in today's game, especially Bill. They simply weren't tremendously skilled offensively, and depended far more on their size advantage to score. I guess you could make the same argument about Shaq, but I still feel he was more skilled, and obviously a lot stronger and bigger.

I guess my point is, when all is said and done, Wilt could have been an All-Star today with today's training. But please don't tell me that he is the greatest of All-Time (Kush referred to someone saying that on his last show). He's not even close.

It's:

1. Michael
2. Jordan
3. Michael Jordan
4. Michael Jeffrey Jordan
5. MJ
6. North Carolina version of MJ
7. 40 Year old Jordan
8. Magic Johnson
9. Hakeem O.
10. Kareem
11. LeBron
12. Shaq
13. Kobe
14. O. Robertson

895. Ben Gordon
2,978. Kirk Hinrich
1,586,908. Me

I'm not too sure about those last 3.

How do you love Oscar Robertson and not love Wilt? If you pace adjust and minute adjust his stats to the present era, he's like a 20 point, 6 assist, 5 rebound guy. Which is awfully good, but I don't see how it puts him ahead of Wilt who was far more dominant in the same era.

houheffna

Ignoring Idiots
Liked Posts:
Wilt was definitely ahead of his time, I would say that he would have been a very good scorer but a great rebounder.

Shakes

Iconoclast
Liked Posts:

dougthonus wrote:
I think you already described why that isn't true. In Wilt's era, there was so much low lying fruit for improvement because the game was so young and undeveloped relative to today. Jordan still grew up in an era with elite training methods and had one of the highest degrees of athleticism ever in the NBA.

I'm not arguing on pure athleticism though. I'm arguing that every sport that is objectively measurable (eg athletics, swimming, cycling) has shown that despite the low hanging fruit being picked, they've continued to improve to this day. There's no reason to think that just because we can't objectively measure improvement in team sports like basketball that the same isn't true.

I mean pick whatever you like, if you look back to 15-20 years ago (ie MJs prime) practically the only records still standing are the ones almost certainly doping tainted (eg womens 100m sprinting). To pick one event that comes to my mind because it's so widely hyped in Australia, 20 years ago one man in history had broken 15 minutes in the 1500m freestyle. In the 2008 Olympics, 7 people did it in the one race.

If athletes in all these other sports are better, I find it pretty hard to believe that LeBron (or whoever you want to consider to be the best player today) isn't a better basketball player than MJ was. MJ is Carl Lewis to LeBron's Usain Bolt.

dougthonus

Liked Posts:

I'm not arguing on pure athleticism though. I'm arguing that every sport that is objectively measurable (eg athletics, swimming, cycling) has shown that despite the low hanging fruit being picked, they've continued to improve to this day. There's no reason to think that just because we can't objectively measure improvement in team sports like basketball that the same isn't true.

I mean pick whatever you like, if you look back to 15-20 years ago (ie MJs prime) practically the only records still standing are the ones almost certainly doping tainted (eg womens 100m sprinting). To pick one event that comes to my mind because it's so widely hyped in Australia, 20 years ago one man in history had broken 15 minutes in the 1500m freestyle. In the 2008 Olympics, 7 people did it in the one race.

If athletes in all these other sports are better, I find it pretty hard to believe that LeBron (or whoever you want to consider to be the best player today) isn't a better basketball player than MJ was. MJ is Carl Lewis to LeBron's Usain Bolt.

The margin the athletes are better is extraordinarily small. What's the gap in the average qualifying sprinting times between now and 20 years ago? I doubt it's even greater than 1%. Many of the other sports have gaps in records due to massive improvement of the equipment rather than improvements of the athletes as well.

I would guess that there is a logarithmic curve to improvement in the sport where at the beginning the improvements are very sharp and then steady off into extraordinarily small rise over time, where major outliers in ability from the curve could still be quite a bit ahead of outliers further up the curve.

Jordan's athleticism, as I mentioned from his 4.3 40 yard dash sprint time and his 48 inch vertical would make him the greatest athlete in the NBA today by a pretty good margin. No one in the past 9 years on the DX database has come close to his vertical. The highest measure is 45.5 max vert, 2.5 inches below Jordan.

If you then agree, that Jordan is still the most elite athlete in the NBA, or at the very least within the top 1%, then you'd have to say that there are other athletes who are more skilled than Jordan in order to say someone who has surpassed him. Who would you wager is more skilled? LeBron certainly doesn't show it, neither does Kobe. LeBron is only successful when he drives, Kobe shoots a much lower percentage than Jordan ever did.

The lack of hand checking rules and wussy fouls in this era also mean that the defenses Jordan had to face were far more difficult and physical than what scorers go up against today.

The sheer magnitude of what he achieved still easily makes him the greatest player in the history of the league. Maybe if we fast forward 30 years, and the elite athlete in the NBA is running 4.1 40s and leaping 50 inches then we can discuss whether that guy would have been better than Jordan, because of the athletic advantage. However, you'd have to show how his skills compare too.

Right now, I don't think you could find evidence of anyone more athletic or more skilled than Jordan.

houheffna

Ignoring Idiots
Liked Posts:

I think Jordan was a great athlete, I don't think the gap is as wide as you do. He may be a better athlete than Kobe but I still say Kobe can do anything Jordan can do on the basketball court. Lebron is a freakish athlete, nothing like him period. I think the gap between him and Jordan when considering strength is unbelievable. And who would stop Lebron with a hand check? Seriously, ask Pippen to play Lebron like he played Magic in the 1991 Finals...Pippen's career would have been cut short.

rtblues

Liked Posts:

Um, Fred, I don't think he knows a whole lot about Wilt...
2009_06_11_224456.jpg

RPK

Liked Posts:

houheffna wrote:
I think Jordan was a great athlete, I don't think the gap is as wide as you do. He may be a better athlete than Kobe but I still say Kobe can do anything Jordan can do on the basketball court. Lebron is a freakish athlete, nothing like him period. I think the gap between him and Jordan when considering strength is unbelievable. And who would stop Lebron with a hand check? Seriously, ask Pippen to play Lebron like he played Magic in the 1991 Finals...Pippen's career would have been cut short.

There are two features of MJ's game where Kobe will never be able to touch and basically make Michael head and shoulder's above any other player.

He had an amazing jab step move.

From about 15 feet, with either hand, he could drive, or simply take a fade away jumper if you laxed on his drive too much. Right now Kobe relies on that deep jumper, where he dribbles two feet left or right. Which, when is on is pretty unstoppable, but it's too far away to rely on in crunch time.

And let's not forget Jordan's enormous hands. He could palm the ball as well as any wing player since Doctor J. It allowed him to do all kinds of crazy stuff near the rim.

It's an insult to put Kobe in the same sentence as Michael. Seriously, Kobe has no finals MVPs. Get at least 3 of those and we can talk.

Diddy1122

I ain't your pal dickface
Liked Posts:

You also forgot the fact that MJ played at a time when players could actually play tough defense & body up on their man without worrying about Joey Crawford blowing his whistle. If you sneeze on Kobe it's a foul call by today's rules & practices.

houheffna

Ignoring Idiots
Liked Posts:

Michael Jordan's first step was great, others have had comparable first steps, including Kobe. I never said Kobe was as good a player, I said he can do everything Jordan can do on a basketball court. The only major difference is mental, Jordan could sustain great play for a longer period of time and be more consistent playing at the highest level. But if Jordan says playing with Pippen at times was "like playing with my twin"...

During a game later in Jordan's career against the Lakers, Jordan watched Kobe make a play and turned to the sidelines and asked..."did I play like that when I was younger?". Phil Jackson sees a lot comparable between the two. I have constantly said that Jordan is the greatest and that Kobe is the second best SG ever.

Talking about hand size is a pretty hard damn reach too.

Trust me, if you sneezed on Jordan, it was a foul too comparable to other players. Again, no one said that Kobe was a better player...so calm down guys.

Shakes

Iconoclast
Liked Posts:

I'm not going to come in and defend Kobe ... I don't think he's ever been the best player in the league for a season, let alone the best player of all time.

As far as athletic advantages go, I think it's pretty clear LeBron has at least two advantages over MJ: he's taller and stronger.