Pace 1st round draft strategy

Payton!34

Liked Posts:
Someone made a post about Pace's early round draft philosophy and it seems as though Pace goes for super athletic 1st rounders with high ceilings but a gamble.

Second and third round draft is more of safe picks in the trenches. Best player this year was whitehair. My favorite pick then and now.

Pace has had a lot of success in late rounds and with undrafted free agents.

White may not pan out as a first round talent but we got Meredit and he is playing like a high 1st rounder.

I'll take any good player and not really care where they are drafted but maybe we should draft more conservatively in the first.

I was extremely against drafting Floyd because I think we had bigger needs and didn't need to move up to get him and spend a fourth. I also didn't see what others saw. I thought he was too small for the NFL and would end up being a nickel pass rusher at best.

I've been proven wrong so far with Floyd and happy about it.

Should pace change the strategy or continue?

I think he's doing well and should give him more time. We need to improve in third and fourth rounds

jbunch14

Liked Posts:
I've been a huge fan so far of the Pace drafts. White, barring injury, would likely have had an impact year as a rookie. Nothing to do about that one. Goldman is likely a future pro-bowler. Grasu was showing well this year until the SF turf took him down. Langford had a decent rookie campaign; still some promise there. Amos is a quality starter. This year Floyd looks to be an impact player at one of the most important and difficult positions to draft. Whitehair was an excellent pick, and if Grasu comes back strong next year I would like to see him tried at RT. He was a tremendous T in college. Bullard was the highest graded DL against the run in FBS last year, and he has shown some of that already in spot play this year; arrow is pointing up for him. Hall had about a million PBU in preseason, and has another and an int in little game time this year prior to injury; promising. Bush, meh. Kwiatkoski has shown good instincts and is a likely replacement for #50 in a couple of seasons. DHC, meh. Jordan Howard has been excellent so far; great vision, patience, and finishes every one of his runs. Braverman, maybe. That is two very good drafts, especially if White recovers fully. He was finally starting to flash before injury #2. Add this to the FAs he has brought in, and I think Pace has added more pieces than any other GM short of JA in the very beginning of his tenure.

Burrberry

Liked Posts:
They needed to move up for Floyd. There was heavy talk of the Giants snagging him.

Smokey Robinson

Liked Posts:
Not to gloat on a #calledit but that was my post. Simply an observation that he went upside round 1 and safe trench guys after.

Haven't seen much of White but I like the rest.

gallagher

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
Eh I think lots of people made the observation about the first few rounds. I made a thread breaking it down a bit too.

Anyway, on the topic, I'd say pace should stick with this strategy. I can forgive swinging for the fences in the first round if you get a solid hit in the second.

Don't know what to make of grasu yet, but I like what I've seen out of Bullard. He hasn't made a lot of impact but he also hasnt had any standout bonehead plays, and sometimes that's all you can expect out of a rookie.

I really think we need to back away from the idea that rookies need to even contribute year 1. Most of them need a year in an NFL nutrition and training program before they can take on a full time role.