Pederson out per Pelissero

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Pederson and Nagy are practically twins. Nagy is just less successful. I wouldn't touch Pederson. Same stubbornness trying to make his system work. Completely inflexible and has strange talent evaluation.

Pederson was about to go full O'Brien on the Eagles. They made the right call. Bears should take note.

That is like saying Jay Cutler and Brett Favre are similar players but Favre is more successful.

Umm being more successful is a huge difference.

msadows

Liked Posts:
That is like saying Jay Cutler and Brett Favre are similar players but Favre is mpre successful.

Umm being more successful is a huge difference.

Sure it is, until it's not.

Pederson was basically east coast nagy this year. The only difference is the eagles were smart enough to realize change was necessary.

It doesn't matter what he did in the past, only what he's doing for you now. Sure that superbowl is beautiful, but is that helping you win in the future? Or is he doing the same shit nagy is here and stunting the growth of his young guys as well?

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
How big of a factor did the Wentz reports have on the decision?
I don't think it factored too much into it. The reason why Laurie likes Howie Roseman so much is that he's always looking to improve areas and bring in great people. The Eagles front office is highly regarded and it's largely because Roseman is constantly bringing in new blood. Doug is sort of the opposite where he's believes in his players and coaches. If there's an opening, he thinks of promoting internally.

That was the main issue. Laurie wanted Doug's thoughts on how they can get better at the OC and DC position and Doug wanted to promote internal guys who honestly don't have the best reputation (Press Taylor was regarded as Carson's 'buddy' and when he was in a tail spin only wanted his buddy reaffirming him).

I also see Doug's side. He won a Superbowl and wants autonomy over hiring his coaches. That can work, but you have to be on the same page with management/ownership. In this case they were not.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Sure it is, until it's not.

Pederson was basically east coast nagy this year. The only difference is the eagles were smart enough to realize change was necessary.

It doesn't matter what he did in the past, only what he's doing for you now. Sure that superbowl is beautiful, but is that helping you win in the future? Or is he doing the same shit nagy is here and stunting the growth of his young guys as well?

Not really. The issue wasn't that Pederson needed to change his scheme. The issue is Wentz sucked and Pederson stuck with him too long.

Also the adjusting scheme thing is exaggerated. The problem with the Bears was that adjusting the scheme to fit 4M meant abandoning the scheme altogether. No coach really does that. If Shanny or McVay somehow ended up with a QB best suited for the Reid scheme, they aren't going to just adopt the Reid scheme on the fly.

4M was supposed to be tailor made for the Reid scheme because it is similar to what Fedora ran at UNC. That is why Pace gave Nagy the job. The problem is his strengths in college did not translate to the NFL and you had to come up with a brand new offense and that offense was quickly figured out by good teams. The Saints and Pack essentially shut down the bootleg and play action shit because 4M's strengths were limited.

Coaches don't just come up with new schemes on the fly. They almost always find players that fit their schemes. You guys are the same ones saying how Howard didn't fit the scheme and now acting like trying to change an entire offense because your QB is so limited is something you see happen all around the league.

Nagy should be fired but not because he could not adjust an entire offense to make it work for a football dummy. He should be fired for not moving on from 4M sooner, not pushing for changes to the OL, terrible team disciple, terrible game management and picking a shitty guy to replace 4M in Foles.

msadows

Liked Posts:
Not really. The issue wasn't that Pederson needed to change his scheme. The issue is Wentz sucked and Pederson stuck with him too long.

Also the adjusting scheme thing is exaggerated. The problem with the Bears was that adjusting the scheme to fit 4M meant abandoning the scheme altogether. No coach really does that. If Shanny or McVay somehow ended up with a QB best suited for the Reid scheme, they aren't going to just throw away the only O scheme they know.

4M was suppose to tailor made for the Reid scheme because it is similar to what Fedora ran at UNC. That is why Pace gave Nagy the job. The problem is he was such a poor fit and you had to come up with a brand new offense and that offense was quickly figured out by good teams. The Saints and Pack essentially shut down the bootleg and play action shit because 4M's strengths were limited.

Coaches don't just come up with new schemes on the fly. They almost always find players that fit their schemes. You guys are the same ones saying how Howard didn't fit the scheme and now acting like trying to change an entire offense because your QB is so limited is something you see happen all around the league.

Nagy should be fired but not because he could not adjust an entire offense to make it work for a football dummy. He should be fired for not moving on from 4M sooner, not pushing for changes to the OL, terrible team disciple, terrible game management and picking a shitty guy to replace 4M in Foles.

Sure they do. Example A: The Baltimore Ravens.

It's not changing up the scheme as much as changing up playcalls to adjust to talent.

Thats what neither has done this year. Thats why both should be gone.

Every playcall in nagys and pedersons playbook isn't rpo spread garbage.

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
The iggles fired Reid too.
All coaches get fired. Even ones that retire do so with the writing on the wall.

Reid had a long, great run, but he even admitted things got stale. If you recall his son, Garrett Reid, passed away in the Eagles facility from a drug overdose in 2012. Andy didn't miss a beat and kept coaching, but you could tell he was tired. It was almost like he was coaching just to keep moving forward. The team ultimately missed the playoffs in back to back years, so as much as the team rallied around him, they weren't that good. I'd add his 'firing' was treated like a celebration. The owner held a press conference just thanking Andy for all he's done. It was probably the classiest thing the team has ever done.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Sure they do. Example A: The Baltimore Ravens.

It's not changing up the scheme as much as changing up playcalls to adjust to talent.

Thats what neither has done this year. Thats why both should be gone.

Every playcall in nagys and pedersons playbook isn't rpo spread garbage.

This is incorrect. Roman was the OC for the Niners so he was well versed in dealing with a running QB. The Ravens are a well run org and knew they had a guy on staff that could develop an offense for him. So while Morningwig was the OC, Roman was working on the new offense for Jackson using concepts he already knew from working with Kap. He succeeded Morningwig in 2019 which his O designed specifically for Jackson.

Harbaugh is not an offensive minded HC. He isn't married to a specific O system like McVay, Shanny, or Nagy. That is the risk of hiring a so called O-genius. They come with a very specific scheme in mind.

You flip flop too much dude. You flat out said at the start of the year it was a whole new scheme and this was before all the bootleg and play action shit was added when he returned to the lineup. Yes some of the plays may have been in the playbook but when Lazor took over he really developed a whole new scheme built around bootleg and play action. That scheme ultimately couldn't survive against good teams because it cuts the field in half and makes it easier for the D to defend especially if they have 4 or 5 weeks of tape. The new scheme was always going to have a limited shelf life because it was too simplistic and dumb for good teams not to be able to adjust.

Last edited:

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:

circusboy666

Liked Posts:
Whoever they get has to love Wentz. Otherwise you trade him and start in cap hell. No coach wants to handicap themselves like that.

Bears4Ever_34

Liked Posts:
Yep. I doubt Nagy would be a head coach next year if the Bears canned him.
It's an interesting question. I think Nagy definitely gets another HC job, but he may be one of those guys that needs to sit out a year. Pederson winning a SB semi-recently I think makes him more attractive to other teams despite how things ended in Philly.

Toast88

Liked Posts:
It's an interesting question. I think Nagy definitely gets another HC job, but he may be one of those guys that needs to sit out a year. Pederson winning a SB semi-recently I think makes him more attractive to other teams despite how things ended in Philly.

I agree completely. I'd only add that, guys, there's a difference between how we view Nagy and how people in other parts of the country view Nagy.

In other places, Nagy is thought of quite highly. They think, "Wow, this guy took a shitty Chicago team with a bad quarterback and immediately turned them into a multi-year playoff team."

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I am with Pederson on this. If he cant hire his assistants then no point being head coach. He will get another gig soon.

Leomaz

Pissing people off the right way!
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
  2. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
I am with Pederson on this. If he cant hire his assistants then no point being head coach. He will get another gig soon.
Not in 2021......

Leomaz

Pissing people off the right way!
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
  2. Notre Dame Fighting Irish