Perception Vs. Reality: Who are these guys?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TopekaRoy

The Wizard of OZ
Donator
Liked Posts:
You watched the Bears' first 2 games, right? You see the problems with the offensinve line, the run game, not having a #1 receiver, the pourus coverage from the defensive secondary, the bad coaching calls, et al, right? RIGHT!?

Reading through the local papers online this morning, the sportswriters, Bears and Cowboys players and the coaches are full of praise for the Bears. Here is just a sampling.

From the Chicago Sun Times:

[Omiyale] played exceptionally well Sunday.

... offensive coordinator Mike Martz knows how to change on the fly.

Martz stopped calling plays that required a seven-step drop on Cutler's part. Three- and five-step drops allowed him to get rid of the ball quickly. They allowed the offensive line to get a handle on DeMarcus Ware ...

'I just think as an offensive line we came together,'' said Schaffer, a 30-year-old backup. ''We played great. The biggest key was communication. [Center Olin Kreutz] is the quarterback of the offensive line. He makes the calls. Every play, I knew exactly what I had.''

Rick Morrissey source

After a shaky start, the Bears regrouped and celebrated a 27-20 victory over the Dallas Cowboys, thanks to outstanding efforts from numerous players, including Cutler and Hester.

This was a statement game for the Bears and Hester.

... the Bears' defense -- just as it did against the Detroit Lions -- made the Cowboys one-dimensional, stiflingly the three-headed running attack of Marion Barber (11 carries, 31 yards), Felix Jones (seven carries, seven yards) and Tashard Choice (one run, minus-one yard).

''They're good,'' Romo said of the Bears' defense. ''Their front four rushed, and they kept it up throughout the game. We weren't able to do necessarily everything down the field that you would like to do, but that's part of going against a good front four.''

Sean Jensen source

The Bears played a smart and unflappable game, with quarterback Jay Cutler leading the way as arguably the best quarterback in the NFL right now. Crazy to say that, I know. But, grab the extinguisher and gloves because the man is aflame.

... a [passer] rating of 136.7? That's ridiculous.

The scoring passes ... were great calls and great executions.

That the man who threw the most interceptions in the league in 2009 had none on this day, and has just one this year, is amazing.

Urlacher and Briggs are now, without question, the best pair of linebackers in the league. They intimidate runners and receivers the way dogs intimidate squirrels.

Rick Telander source

Get the right guy, and success follows. Jay Cutler reminded the Bears of that Sunday with a stellar performance ...

From four turnovers last week to none. From nine penalties for 100 yards to two for 10. From a Super Bowl joke to a team with a quarterback good enough for a return trip to Dallas.

Mike Mulligan source

The Bears made a statement by defeating the Cowboys 27-20 at Cowboys Stadium: This is a team to be reckoned with. ... The Bears have their bite back.

Neil Hayes source

From the Chacago Tribune:

Sunday's win suggested the Bears are better than many critics — present company included — thought.

Whether it was scheme or skill, the line protected Cutler better in the final three quarters than it had since training camp started.

When Plan C works, that's coaching.

David Hough source

No quarterback in the NFL is more on fire than Jay Cutler.

Cutler's performance Sunday was one of his best

"He played great," said tight end Greg Olsen ...

... the receivers played a great game," [Cutler] said. "I thought Devin Hester had one of his best games.

Dan Pompei source

What Omiyale did against Ware was very impressive. So impressive that the Bears should ponder if Omiyale and Williams shouldn't switch positions.

"Frank is the MVP of this game," Kreutz said. "Whatever accolades you want to shower on him, do it."

Cowboys defensive line coach Paul Pasqualoni was impressed.

"What Chicago does a great job of in my mind is mixing up the protections," he said. "They have a variety of protections, all sound, well-coached, well thought up. They did a good job of mixing them up and getting the (ball) out quickly. And then when they didn't get it out quickly, they did a good job of avoiding the rush, as this quarterback can do."

Dan Pompei, again source

This was no surprise to anyone in a locker room that is brimming with confidence. General manager Jerry Angelo called it a statement game beforehand. Coach Lovie Smith called it a "signature game" afterward. Meanwhile, on the other side Cowboys owner Jerry Jones said, "I didn't expect that at all" as his team fell into an 0-2 hole.

What's significant is the Bears accomplished something winners do — they weathered injuries and found a way to be successful.

Cutler was brilliant with hot reads ...

It was a solid game for Hester ...

The run defense again was suffocating as the Cowboys totaled 36 yards on 20 carries.

Bradd Biggs source

The Bears did a good job, Sunday to pull out an important win, even though they needed 3 turnovers and 2 missed field goals to stop Tony Romo and Co. But many of the problems that were evident in preseason and against the Lions remain.

Who are these guys? Are they "who we thought they were?," or are they who Lovie keeps telling us they are? Are these the Bears that can't block, can't run the ball and can't cover anybody? Or are they the Bears that can move the ball at will, have a stifling run defense, and find ways to win?

Time will tell. And I can't wait to find out!

What do you think?

Last edited:

payton 34ever

Liked Posts:
57 rush yards given up by our defense in the first 8 qtrs. of the season - that's pretty impressive.

Veritas

Liked Posts:
Sure I am frustrated at times by the soft zone coverage we run, we give up a ton of passing yards but looking at the scoreboard you realize like in 2006 our defense bends but does not break. On top of not giving up points we stop the run exceptionally well, you can't shut down every aspect of an opposing offense most weeks. At the end of the day the only statistic that counts is points gained vs points allowed and allowing the Cowboys offense in the end zone once is impressive.

Yes we cannot run the ball but to be fair we don't really try to. Quick screens and flat routes are the "runs" in a Mike Martz offense. Also our offense line is still awful so we cannot run the ball for an extended period of time or we are just wasting offensive series. We only need to run enough plays to keep a defense honest.

Our offensive line is still terrible, I have no argument against that point that you made. Our offensive line did play somewhat better as the game went on but Dallas was dialing back pressure because Jay was connecting on throws down field. It was perceptions because they played so badly in the first quarter that it just appeared like we played well in the 2nd half.

RandallPinkFloyd42

Liked Posts:
I"m not a fan of the 'bend but don't break defense', and I agree with a lot of what you said. O-line still sucks, leading to no running game. But, like you said Veritas, the only stat that matters at the end is points scored vs. points allowed.

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Sure I am frustrated at times by the soft zone coverage we run, we give up a ton of passing yards but looking at the scoreboard you realize like in 2006 our defense bends but does not break. On top of not giving up points we stop the run exceptionally well, you can't shut down every aspect of an opposing offense most weeks. At the end of the day the only statistic that counts is points gained vs points allowed and allowing the Cowboys offense in the end zone once is impressive.

Yes we cannot run the ball but to be fair we don't really try to. Quick screens and flat routes are the "runs" in a Mike Martz offense. Also our offense line is still awful so we cannot run the ball for an extended period of time or we are just wasting offensive series. We only need to run enough plays to keep a defense honest.

Our offensive line is still terrible, I have no argument against that point that you made. Our offensive line did play somewhat better as the game went on but Dallas was dialing back pressure because Jay was connecting on throws down field. It was perceptions because they played so badly in the first quarter that it just appeared like we played well in the 2nd half.

And occasionally the offensive line will get a good block and you will see Matt Forte break off a long one (like he did in preseason).

The offensive line is one of the worst in the NFL, but the Bears offense is ranked 5th in the league in yardage at this point.

Of course against the Packers next, we'll face a team that ranks 3rd in pass defense (They did play the Bills though who cannot pass the ball for anything).

ClydeLee

Liked Posts:
Even though everyone here is pretty much saying how they disagree with the bend but don't break, it's part of the main thread that has to be acknowledged. You can't say with Lovie Smiths D, even though it took 3 TOs.. that's the gameplan goal, his system is designed yes to give up yards and allow teams to slowly move but get 3 TOs and you should win the game, that is the goal... and while the situation is different at given times, those 2 missed field goals tallyed on the score still gives the Bears a win.

I'm curious to see how the Bears line can look next week against the Packers with out having the LG getting his ass knocked on the ground after every snap like last year had.

Status
Not open for further replies.