Perez Released

waldo7239117

Driving Wreckless DA Best
Donator
Liked Posts:
Garza was a good acqusition and a trade that was OK.

But JH didn't need to trade his top spect, pitcher of the system and hitter of the system last year. That was a mistake. If the Cubs kept one of them, primarily Lee I would be more than fine with the trade.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
Garza was a good acqusition and a trade that was OK.

But JH didn't need to trade his top spect, pitcher of the system and hitter of the system last year. That was a mistake. If the Cubs kept one of them, primarily Lee I would be more than fine with the trade.

Yep...this trade basically torpedoed the farm system outside of Brett Jackson.

bobferg

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Garza does nothing for the Cubs. If the Cubs were 1 starter away from winning the NL Central then I would be all about it. But how the hell do you rebuild around a #2 or 3 starter while giving up 2 of your top prospects?

It didn't make a lick of sense then, and it makes even less now.

CODE_BLUE56

Ded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
i'll resign my judgement on the overall trade until we really can see the long term effects of it....

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
Short term effect = Chris Archer pwning the Smokies last night, but small sample size blah blah blah :lol:

waldo7239117

Donator
Liked Posts:
Garza does nothing for the Cubs. If the Cubs were 1 starter away from winning the NL Central then I would be all about it. But how the hell do you rebuild around a #2 or 3 starter while giving up 2 of your top prospects?

Garza is still young. Lee is 3-4 years away. OF depth is high. Archer may help. But the Cubs arn't big on young players, I'm still surprise Castro came up quick.

bobferg

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Garza is still young. Lee is 3-4 years away. OF depth is high. Archer may help. But the Cubs arn't big on young players, I'm still surprise Castro came up quick.

Garza is still young, but he isn't going to get any better and he isn't good enough to be a number 1.

You don't trade your top prospects for a middle of the rotation starter unless you are just that pitcher away from being a contender.

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Garza isn't going to be a FA til 2014 a solid 2 starter under team control for 3 years.

If the Cubs were healthy, you'd never know how much closer they'd be now.

waldo7239117

Donator
Liked Posts:
Garza is still young, but he isn't going to get any better and he isn't good enough to be a number 1.

You don't trade your top prospects for a middle of the rotation starter unless you are just that pitcher away from being a contender.

He may not be an ace but I still look at him as a #2 pitcher.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:

They traded 2 of their top 3 prospects in the deal, but lets look a little closer shall we. Chris Archer went from basically off the radar to the 27 prospect. He is still struggling with his control (4.7 BB/9 and 12 WP) and he is getting hit hard. He might figure it out still since he is only 22, but this might be a case where Jim Hendry has actually sold high on a guy *gasp*.

Hak-ju Lee is going to be a loss, but lets be clear this guy is still three years away. The Cubs actually have a fair bit of talent in the low minors, and this is actually trading from a position strength (middle infield prospects) for an area of weakness (starting pitching).

I understand your guys point about not contending this year and even next year. But Matt Garza can be a crucial part of the rotation for two more years under team control. This isn't the Cubs going out and getting a 30+ something starter that they are paying 15 million a year.

I know the trendy thing is to say that the Cubs are doomed to be a bad team for many years, and I don't hold out a ton of hope for next season. However, there are lots of available impact free agents in the next couple of seasons, and some big time prospects are coming through the system at this point. Having Matt Garza makes this a better team, and the cost at worst was Hak-ju Lee and a guy that might be slightly better than Matt Garza.

Last edited:

Captain Obvious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Crazy thought, perhaps it is opening a roster spot for Nicholas Struck. The guy is flying through the system at this point starting in high A and now in AAA. He had a decent first start in AAA giving up 2 ERs in 5.1 IP. I don't know why the Cubs would want to rush him apart from how bad the pitching has been, but it seems unlikely that they would want to start the option clock on him early since this is his second season in the system. Just was something that struck me.

Ha! Struck you :lol:

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
Garza has the Cubs only CG this season. So the 1-0 loss he had against the Sox was Garza's fault?

Loss to Pirates opening Sunday was his fault?

I haven't heard anything about Fuld since his cycle. Where was he going to play in Chicago anyways?

Trading Tom Gorzelanny was a mistake.

He didn't get a cycle, he needed a single but ran all the way to 2nd instead of stopping at first even though his team was up by a lot and it was late.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats

*3 of our Top 10 prospects.