PFF: 2021 2nd Year Breakout Players

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Jaylon Johnson made the list...
Only reason he struggled in zone is because of Pagano's stupid ass playcalling, -- the TD before the half in the Saints game(reg season) was an absolutely awful playcall by Pagano(soft zone in the red zone).

Round (Selection): 2 (50)

What went wrong in 2020: Johnson, like most rookie cornerbacks, endured an up-and-down season in Year 1. He broke up 13 passes in 13 games but also allowed 14 catches to result in a gain of 15-plus yards. A lot of the latter came in zone coverage, leading Johnson to rank fifth-to-last in zone coverage grade among outside corners. That is quite the opposite of what we saw from him at Utah, where he established himself as one of the most instinctive players in the country and made numerous impact plays in off-zone coverage.

Why they are going to break out in 2021: Cornerback has the steepest learning curve from college to the NFL. The biggest thing you want to see from a rookie like Johnson is holding up at the line of scrimmage and not getting burnt in man coverage. And that’s where he impressed in 2020. His coverage grade among outside corners in man coverage was the second-best in the NFL.

Among rookie outside corners over the past five years, Johnson finished fifth in man coverage grade — behind J.C. Jackson (2018), Marshon Lattimore (2017), Tre’Davious White (2017) and Denzel Ward (2018). And Johnson recorded a 21.2% forced incompletion this season, the best mark by a rookie outside corner in the PFF era (since 2006).

Highest forced incompletion % | rookie outside CBs since 2006
Player, Team, Year Forced Inc. %
Jaylon Johnson, Chicago Bears (‘20) 21.2%
Jamel Dean, Tampa Bay Buccaneers (‘19) 21.1%
Marlon Humphrey, Baltimore Ravens (‘17) 20.3%
His zone awareness is bound to improve in the next couple of years. He held up better than any other rookie in man coverage this season and has flashed all the signs of taking a big step forward in 2021.

Montucky

Liked Posts:
Did they consider Mooney already broke out? If not, I’d put him ahead of JJ in 2021.
Jaylon Johnson looked way, way better than Mooney. That's no slight against Mooney, either. Until that injury hit Jaylon Johnson was looking like one of the biggest steals of the draft. I still think if you held the 2020 draft over today Jaylon Johnson would go in the first half of the first round. If he didn't get hurt probably the top ten and maybe top five.

Premium player at premium position. The only things more valuable than a lockdown cornerback are edge rushers, left tackles and quarterbacks.

Chicago Staleys

Realist
Liked Posts:
Jaylon Johnson looked way, way better than Mooney. That's no slight against Mooney, either. Until that injury hit Jaylon Johnson was looking like one of the biggest steals of the draft. I still think if you held the 2020 draft over today Jaylon Johnson would go in the first half of the first round. If he didn't get hurt probably the top ten and maybe top five.

Premium player at premium position. The only things more valuable than a lockdown cornerback are edge rushers, left tackles and quarterbacks.

The first 6 games he was outstanding but JJ was starting to show his rookie stripes before the injury. Not bad but it definitely showed. He was poor in zone, got beat several times on deep passes, and had zero interceptions. Yes, some of it could be the scheme. The kid had a good rookie year.

I think Mooney will be more of a household name next year than JJ.

Last edited:

thenewguy

Liked Posts:
Did they consider Mooney already broke out? If not, I’d put him ahead of JJ in 2021.
Mooney was good, but the coach and overall poor offense held him back. Nagy didnt decide he was worthy of targets until Lazor showed him he was. It was also a very strong WR class.

JJ has great potential. I think Desai will use the secondary much more to their strengths. He has pro bowl potential. I am worried a bit about his injury history.

Chicago Staleys

Realist
Liked Posts:
Well, it is PFF. Mooney probably didn't have a good enough "catch euphemism toe length indicator" stat to be considered.

lol right!

Actually they gave Mooney a 68 rating in 2020. JJ only received a 54. I was shocked.

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
They are probably taking into consideration the offense Mooney is in and uncertainty at the QB position lol.

SugarWalls

Liked Posts:
Where does Cole Kmet stand in the breakout rookies?

MikeDitkaPolishSausage

Liked Posts:
Where does Cole Kmet stand in the breakout rookies?
I think he can have a solid career but will only get better with improvements at the QB position and play calling. Let’s bring in a HC/OC that will utilize a TE.