PFF: Dexter Under Pressure to Perform

DanielCCSBears

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears

The Chicago Bears transformed their offense this offseason in preparation for Caleb Williams to take over at quarterback and propel the team forward.

Though they made a couple of strategic additions on defense, the overall approach has been more one of keeping faith with the young players they have in place and letting them improve as they develop.

One of those key defensive players is the team's 2023 second-round defensive tackle, Gervon Dexter.

Dexter flashed potential as a rookie, and the Bears are extremely high on him, but he recorded a 36.2 PFF run-defense grade in his first season. His pass-rush production was significantly better, with 29 total pressures coming from 297 pass-rushing snaps, but Dexter needs to take that leap in Year 2 to justify Chicago’s faith and not put a cap on how good this defense can be.

I didn’t realize he was that awful against the run.
1). How the fuck did you not realize how bad he was against the run?

2). Most of his pass rush productivity came from the defensive end spot.

3). They better hope he gets more physical at the point in year two because 6-6 defensive tackles that are great are exceptionally rare.

4). Hopefully the offense is so good none of the first three will matter as much as it did last year.

DanielCCSBears

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
he played about half the snaps that Dexter did

"After playing as more of a penetrating, three-technique in college, Pickens was asked to play more of a run-stopping role as a one-technique and nose tackle in the Bears’ scheme. As a result, 2023 was a season full of limited playing time for Pickens as he had to rotate with veterans Andrew Billings, Justin Jones and fellow rookie Dexter."

he should get more opportunity with Jones gone but as a one technique, if you're looking for gaudy stats, its not going to happen. always thought he was better suited as a 3 tech

"When evaluating Pickens’ rookie year, it is important to remember that the third-round pick did not see as much playing time due to his role on the Bears’ defensive line.

With only 264 snaps played this season, Pickens simply did not have as many opportunities to shine as other rookies on the roster. Combined with Pickens having to change his game to accommodate playing more nose tackle and one technique, there are reasons for Pickens not to stand out much as a rookie.

Despite these factors, Pickens did have his fair share of flashes during his rookie year. In week four against the Denver Broncos, Pickens recorded his first sack of his young career chasing down Russell Wilson. Later on in the season against the Atlanta Falcons, Pickens had his first game with multiple pressures, finishing the game with two on only 10 pass rush snaps. For the season, Pickens had a pass rush win rate of 7.2%, which was fifth among defensive linemen on the Bears.

In general, Pickens’ play improved from week eight and on as the coaching staff put him in more positions to play his natural three-technique spot. For reference, in weeks one through seven Pickens played 38% of his snaps lined up over the “A” gap according to Pro Football Focus, traditionally the alignment for nose tackles and run stuffers. After week seven, Pickens’ snaps lined up in the “A” gamp were reduced to just under 9% of his total snaps. As a result, the Bears started to see Pickens play some of his best football of the season as he was put into spots to penetrate the backfield as a three-technique."
Who are you quoting?

DanielCCSBears

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
We'll see how it plays out, but you'd think Poles as a former offensive lineman would have solid knowledge of defensive line talent too.
At this point he hasn't shown anything in the way of evaluating offensive linemen. Let's see if he can build a cohesive unit here.

Nate Davis, Lucas Patrick, Michael Schoefield Dan Feeney Doug Kramer it's been a shit show.

Spitta Andretti

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
At this point he hasn't shown anything in the way of evaluating offensive linemen. Let's see if he can build a cohesive unit here.

Nate Davis, Lucas Patrick, Michael Schoefield Dan Feeney Doug Kramer it's been a shit show.

And only one of these guys was brought in as a starter

DanielCCSBears

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
And only one of these guys was brought in as a starter
So you just want to be wrong all the time?

Davis Patrick and Schoefield were slated to be starters from jump.

Patrick got hurt and Schoefield was so bad they immediately moved Jenkins to right guard after trying to trade him.

msadows

Liked Posts:
With Pickens and Dexter it’s important to remember DL frequently take 2-3 years to get their shit together.

A good example of this is someone like Justin Madubuike who was drafted 71st overall and went from 1,2,5,13 sacks his first 4 years. JM and Pickens both had around the same snap counts their rookie year. (260 and 264). Other stats are similar.

Obviously I’m not guaranteeing Pickens will be a Pro Bowl player like JM…. Just pointing out it’s often a slow developing position.

Daniel also said that about OL.

Just wait till danny boy comes in here and says he saw enough to determine both dexter and pickens are trash after 300 snaps of football

Edit: Too late, fat boi is already acting like he's a genius.

msadows

Liked Posts:

Patrick got hurt and Schoefield was so bad they immediately moved Jenkins to right guard after trying to trade him.

Prison Break guy looked like you in training camp.

Anyone who saw that guys body and assumed he was ready to block NFL DT's should be driving school buses w/ you.

Also, prison break was signed during TC? How was he the pegged starter

Spitta Andretti

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

Schofield was brought in on a one year deal to battle for a starting spot but obviously did not make it. He was never penciled in to start 😂

msadows

Liked Posts:
Schofield was brought in on a one year deal to battle for a starting spot but obviously did not make it. He was never penciled in to start 😂

He legit lived in the area. I remember seeing him his first day in camp and he looked like a random dad they picked to put some pads on and have a fun interactive fan experience.

DanielCCSBears

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Who was going to be the starting guard before they moved Jenkins to right guard.

Spitta Andretti

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Who was going to be the starting guard before they moved Jenkins to right guard.

Considering it was year 1 of a teardown, pretty sure the entire offensive line was a question mark as to who would start. Which is why Braxton Jones ended up starting at LT and why they moved Tevin to guard.

Tevin moving to guard wasn't some fallback plan because Schofield didn't work out. He was just the better player

DanielCCSBears

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Considering it was year 1 of a teardown, pretty sure the entire offensive line was a question mark as to who would start. Which is why Braxton Jones ended up starting at LT and why they moved Tevin to guard.

Tevin moving to guard wasn't some fallback plan because Schofield didn't work out. He was just the better player
Teven started the season working at right tackle and competing at right tackle. He was battling for the right tackle spot. He was the fall back guy when Schoefield proved he sucked.
They didn't have a right guard in place.

Why are you so desperately trying to defend Ryan Poles right now?

Spitta Andretti

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Teven started the season working at right tackle and competing at right tackle. He was battling for the right tackle spot. He was the fall back guy when Schoefield proved he sucked.

Its not about defending Poles. One year deals are not some massive swings at guys you're expecting to work out. So who gives a shit if a guy he signed to compete in camp didn't work out? This isn't any different than your horrible Tyrique Stevenson got worse as the season went along take that you refuse to acknowledge

You can never admit you're wrong on anything

msadows

Liked Posts:

Wasnt tev practicing at RG like a week into camp after he got over his cry baby fit of playing RT?

I dont have the time to go through tape and old articles, but I'm sure you do. Maybe you can confirm?

Spitta Andretti

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Wasnt tev practicing at RG like a week into camp after he got over his cry baby fit of playing RT?

I dont have the time to go through tape and old articles, but I'm sure you do. Maybe you can confirm?
"Teven Jenkins was on his Xbox playing NBA 2K with friends when Bears offensive line coach Chris Morgan called him. It was 8 p.m. during training camp.

“Well, tomorrow, we’re going to take a look at you at guard,” Jenkins remembered Morgan saying. “So be ready to brush up on your stuff at guard.”

DanielCCSBears

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears

You want to jump in and be wrong too?