I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
That stat that says the Cubs had a better win percentage with Ross/Schwarber catching as opposed to Montero catching is unfair. Ross caught Lester and occasionally Arrieta, Montero had the rest

lester had a losing record though :shrug:

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
lester had a losing record though :shrug:

How much weight do you give to a W-L record with a pitcher? To me it's very little. Do you want a poster child for that? This pitcher racked up 205 innings, had a 3.05 ERA, a 3.45 FIP, 7.9 K/9, 3.22 BB/9 and a 3.4 fWAR for the best numbers in his career. His record would make you shriek. Guesses?

DanTown

Liked Posts:
How much weight do you give to a W-L record with a pitcher? To me it's very little. Do you want a poster child for that? This pitcher racked up 205 innings, had a 3.05 ERA, a 3.45 FIP, 7.9 K/9, 3.22 BB/9 and a 3.4 fWAR for the best numbers in his career. His record would make you shriek. Guesses?

Shelby Miller?

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
Yep, 6-17 in the best year of his career. That's an extreme example of course but it did happen. I think W-L has some bearing when you look at long term career numbers. If Miller puts up numbers like that for ten years he's going to have a winning record. For the most part though I don't think it tells you much in a given season. Jon Lester has a slightly down year to his career numbers and yet he had a 11-12 record. The year before he had a better year but his record was 16-11 with the Red Sox and A's combined. His fWAR for those two years were 5.5 in 2014 and 5.0 in 2015. 1/2 of a game's difference.

czman

Liked Posts:
The rumors are full tilt right now. I see Cubs linked to Price, Zobrist, Alex Gordon, Heyward, Zimmermann, Span.

People are out of control.

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers

you obviously didn't go to the previous page to gain context of what I was talking about

someone said its not fair to judge Montero on the W/L vs. david ross because ross caught all of lesters games and a few of arrietas, I was simply pointing out how that is not an advantage to ross due to lesters losing record. so in summation, yes W/L record does matter when you are referencing wins and losses lol