Polar's Mock Offseason

PolarBear

Liked Posts:
I only do 2 mocks a year, one pre-FA/post combine and the other is a mock the day before the draft. This is a mix of what I would like to see happen and what I think is most likely to happen.

Here are the key focuses of my offseason -
1. Add talent at the WR position. Period.
2. Find a starting OG and competition for Massie.
3. Finding a starting caliber pass rusher opposite Floyd and plenty of depth.
4. Retain Fuller no matter the cost.
5. Find a NT that can rotate with Goldman and add another DE to add to the rotation.

Key Re-signings:
- Dontrelle Inman
- Mark Sanchez
- Benny Cunningham
- Mitch Unrein
- Christian Jones
- Lamarr Houston
- Sherrick Mcmanis

Extensions:
Eddie Goldman - 4yr/36 million - 16 million guaranteed.

Free Agency

Allen Robinson, WR - 5yr/70 million - 31.5 million guaranteed - Allen Robinson isn't my first option (I would personally rather Watkins) but I think A-Rob is the most realistic option. A-Rob gives the Bears a go to target who can be a downfield/big play threat as well as a big body in the RZ. I am not worried too much at all about the ACL.

Kyle Fuller, CB - 4yr/56 million - 30 million guaranteed - Gotta spend the money and keep Fuller on the roster. Match any offer and keep him in Chicago.

Zach Fulton, G/C - 4yr/26 million - 12 million guaranteed - If you asked me which player from KC is most likely to come over with Nagy, I would have to say Fulton over Albert Wilson. Fulton showed that he can be versatile and productive last year at both guard at center, something that as a coach, Nagy would have loved. I also don't think the Bears would have let Sitton go if they didn't think they had a good chance to replace with a quality player...I think that player is Fulton.

Trent Murphy, EDGE - 1yr/7 million - 3.5 million guaranteed - Your classic Ryan Pace "prove it" deal. The Bears need to add an established edge rusher to the group and Murphy was that before he tore his ACL before the season. In 2016, he registered 9 sacks for the Skins and with an entire year of rehab under his belt (and a 4 game suspension), he should be well and truly at full tilt entering week 5.

Brent Grimes, CB - 2yr/12 million - 6 million guaranteed - The Bears need to find a replacement for Prince that can help generate turnovers and the veteran Brent Grimes is one of the best in the league in that aspect. An under-appreciated CB talent for most of his career, Grimes has continued at the age of 34 to produce at a high level. Coming to Chicago, he would be the #2 CB across from Fuller and would allow for the Bears to develop a CB in the wings.

Taylor Gabriel, WR - 1yr/4 million - 2 million guaranteed - What if I told you, I could get you a faster/better version of Albert Wilson for half the price? What if I told you that same player has bested Albert Wilson's career best season yardage total not once but TWICE in his career? Interested? Taylor Gabriel is that guy and he provides you wish some serious speed at a discount price because of his down year.

Quinton Dial, NT - 2yr/6 million - 3.5 million guaranteed - Played under Fangio in SF. Can rotate with Goldman at NT.

Devon Kennard, EDGE- 2yr/5million - 2 million guaranteed - Kennard is a quality depth edge rusher coming over from the Giants. Registered 4 sacks playing in 49% of snaps for the Giants last season and had 4.5 sacks his rookie year. Solid size and length, is a solid run stopper and can get pressure on the QB. A good rotational edge rusher.

Cody Parkey, K, 4yr/16 million/6 million guaranteed - Let's sure up this kicking fiasco and land the top kicker on the market.

NFL Draft
1. CLE - Sam Darnold
2. NYG - Saquon Barkley
3. IND - Bradley Chubb
4. CLE - Minkah Fitzpatrick
5. DEN - Quenton Nelson (Cousins)
6. NYJ - Josh Rosen
7. TB - Marcus Davenport

With the 8th pick in the 2018 NFL draft, the Chicago Bears select...Denzel Ward, CB, Ohio State - Ward makes a lot of sense here. The Bears went out in FA and plugged most of the holes allowing them to go BPA at position of need in the draft. Denzel Ward has the potential to be a shutdown corner down the road as well as be a contributor right away if he earns that right through camp. I would expect Ward to compete with Callahan for the NB spot and win it out. This would give the Bears a lot of depth at a very important position as well provide Ward with an environment where he has veteran leadership (Grimes) as well as talented teammates around him taking pressure off him to perform at a high level from the get go. The Bears could have one of the best secondary units in all of football.

With the 39th pick in the 2018 NFL draft, the Chicago Bears select...Deon Cain, WR, Clemson - Probably a bit of an overlooked receiver as of late but Cain has a great blend of height/weight/speed with long arms and big catch radius. Explosive, smooth athlete. Has had some problems with drops but has also shown an ability to pluck the ball out of the air and make some flashy grabs as well at times. Needs some coaching up in regards to routes but has as much potential as any receiver in the draft and provides the Bears with some vertical prowess right away.

With the 101st pick in the 2018 NFL draft, the Chicago Bears select...Geron Christian, OT, Louisville - Could compete and push Massie in training camp.

With the 111th pick in the 2018 NFL draft, the Chicago Bears select...Kylie Fitts, EDGE, Utah - I like his potential to develop into a quality pass rusher down the road. Could become part of the rotation quickly.

With the 136th pick in the 2018 NFL draft, the Chicago Bears select...John Franklin Myers, DL, Stephen F. Austin - Project defensive lineman.

With the 167th pick in the 2018 NFL draft, the Chicago Bears select...Jordan Wilkins, RB, Ole Miss - Perfect zone run fit.

With the 198th pick in the 2018 NFL draft, the Chicago Bears select...Chris Worley, LB, Ohio State - High character, backup ILB and ST contributor.

Aesopian

Hooters Waitress
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Trent Murphy didn't serve his suspension last year because he was injured and put on IR during preseason so he'll be suspended for the first four games of next season right?

PolarBear

Liked Posts:
Trent Murphy didn't serve his suspension last year because he was injured and put on IR during preseason so he'll be suspended for the first four games of next season right?

Correct.

Probie2429

Liked Posts:
That's a crazy, stupid contract for Fuller. Guy has had one decent season in the NFL. This is why the Bears placed the transition tag just in case.

Probie2429

Liked Posts:
Spending that much on a kicker is kind of silly at this point. So many options that are on the street 24/7. I could see if the Bears were on the verge of winning a Super Bowl, but they are not. They need to DEVELOP a kicker not spend big money on one to win 5 or 6 games.

gallagher

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
I don't believe in Ward, but it seems like we are targeting the same areas with our 2 and pair of 4ths.

Honestly I've seen a lot worse as far as mocks go, so I'd be okay with this. Not the happiest camper but I'd be looking forward to next year

PolarBear

Liked Posts:
Spending that much on a kicker is kind of silly at this point. So many options that are on the street 24/7. I could see if the Bears were on the verge of winning a Super Bowl, but they are not. They need to DEVELOP a kicker not spend big money on one to win 5 or 6 games.

I don't know about you but I am sick of watching the Bears trot out shitty kickers. I would rather pay the 4 million a year and get a good one.

PolarBear

Liked Posts:
That's a crazy, stupid contract for Fuller. Guy has had one decent season in the NFL. This is why the Bears placed the transition tag just in case.

Competitive CB market and Fuller might be the best one available. Fuller is going to get paid and the Bears will have to pay up if they want to keep him.

baredown

Liked Posts:
I only do 2 mocks a year, one pre-FA/post combine and the other is a mock the day before the draft. This is a mix of what I would like to see happen and what I think is most likely to happen.

NFL Draft
1. CLE - Sam Darnold
2. NYG - Saquon Barkley
3. IND - Bradley Chubb
4. CLE - Minkah Fitzpatrick
5. DEN - Quenton Nelson (Cousins)
6. NYJ - Josh Rosen
7. TB - Marcus Davenport

With the 8th pick in the 2018 NFL draft, the Chicago Bears select...Denzel Ward, CB, Ohio State -

Ward probably falls more under your "like to see happen" prediction, than a "most likely to see happen" one. Edmunds & Davenport would seem to be the two guys who best fit the profile for a Pace top ten pick, and who might still be available at #8. Nothing against a Ward (or Nelson...) pick, but Edmunds & Davenport appear to be the outrageous ceiling types that Pace prefers at that spot. Now, the Bears may well not actually rate either Edmunds or Davenport that highly, and end up going in another direction, like Ward. But absent any hard information on how the Bears really rate the top ten usual suspects, Edmunds or Davenport would seem to be the way to bet for their pick...

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
I don't know about you but I am sick of watching the Bears trot out shitty kickers. I would rather pay the 4 million a year and get a good one.

Definitely a need

I think O’Donnell a fa also though I see him in every mock offseason on here. Are we keeping him or moving on?

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
Overall, I like the players acquired in free agency and in the draft.

To nit pick some, I would rather not go WR in the 2nd after signing Robinson and Gabriel. Also, what happened to Meredith? I think it would be kind of foolish to let him go. The guy still has big time potential.

Would much rather go OL in the 2nd as I believe the value will be too good to pass up.

I'd also prefer to just let Inman walk. His hands were suspect and while he wasn't in the best situation, he was far from impressive. Would rather bring Wright back if given the choice. Either way, something like Robinson/Meredith/Wright/Gabriel/White looks pretty good to me. Throw in Cohen in the slot, and I think the Bears have plenty there.

PolarBear

Liked Posts:
Overall, I like the players acquired in free agency and in the draft.

To nit pick some, I would rather not go WR in the 2nd after signing Robinson and Gabriel. Also, what happened to Meredith? I think it would be kind of foolish to let him go. The guy still has big time potential.

Would much rather go OL in the 2nd as I believe the value will be too good to pass up.

I'd also prefer to just let Inman walk. His hands were suspect and while he wasn't in the best situation, he was far from impressive. Would rather bring Wright back if given the choice. Either way, something like Robinson/Meredith/Wright/Gabriel/White looks pretty good to me. Throw in Cohen in the slot, and I think the Bears have plenty there.

Yeah Cam would stay. Wright would go.

Depth chart -
1. A-Rob
2. Cam Meredith
3. Deon Cain
4. Taylor Gabriel
5. Dontrelle Inman
6. Kevin White

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
Yeah Cam would stay. Wright would go.

Depth chart -
1. A-Rob
2. Cam Meredith
3. Deon Cain
4. Taylor Gabriel
5. Dontrelle Inman
6. Kevin White

That's a good corp too. I just would rather strike on a number of potentially star OL in the 2nd round. I like Fulton, but definitely think the Bears need more. Have to protect Trubs and open up holes for Howard/Cohen.

Xplosive

In the Land of the Blind the One Eyed Fan Is Neggd
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
Ugh,

Too much for Fuller
Brent Grimes is old as dirt
Taylor Gabriel will want more and isnt worth it
If you are drafting a CB in the first round why are you spending $6M on a backup...

Dont really like any of the draft picks other than Cain but good job putting it all together.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
This seems somewhat realistic. And it's not bad. I don't think the Bears are completely sold on Bryce Callahan. He can play, but I think they are very weary of his ability to stay healthy. I'm sure they'll tender him, but I don't think they'll sign him long-term unless he stays healthy for a season. With Fuller having recently missed a full season, Grimes being 35 by the time the season starts, and Callahan's propensity to miss games, Ward will get plenty of playing time in this scenario. He'd also be ready to take over CB2 in 2019 or possibly CB1 if Fuller doesn't sign long-term.

I also think if the Bears do get Robinson, they'll definitely look to draft a field stretcher at WR. Robinson's good in the 12-18 yard range, Gabriel in this scenario would be the short/slot guy. Then I think Pace will look to add an over the top WR in the draft. I'd much prefer Chark, though.

But overall, i could see something like this happening. Though, I don't love the last 5 FAs or last 3 draft picks.

Icemanx

Liked Posts:
Not a bad pre-FA mock. Very well put together.

PolarBear

Liked Posts:
Ugh,

Too much for Fuller
Brent Grimes is old as dirt
Taylor Gabriel will want more and isnt worth it
If you are drafting a CB in the first round why are you spending $6M on a backup...

Dont really like any of the draft picks other than Cain but good job putting it all together.

Grimes can still play. Guys are playing longer into their 30's. He certainly isn't a backup. Ward would play NB and take over from Grimes.

You have to fill your holes in FA and go BPA. That's what I have done here.

Aesopian

Hooters Waitress
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
I really like it but can you do a depth chart?