Polar's Mock Offseason

PolarBear

Liked Posts:
I haven't gone into huge depth with small signings but here is what some key position depth charts might look like -

WR
1. Allen Robinson
2. Cameron Meredith
3. Deon Cain
4. Taylor Gabriel
5. Dontrelle Inman
6. Kevin White

OL
LT - Charles Leno Jr
LG - Zach Fulton or Cody Whitehair
C - Zach Fulton or Cody Whitehair
RG - Kyle Long
RT - Bobbie Massie/Geron Christian

Edge -
1.Leonard Floyd
2. Trent Murphy
3. Devon Kennard
4. Lamarr Houston
5. Kylie Fitts

CB -
1. Kyle Fuller
2. Brent Grimes
3. Denzel Ward
4. Bryce Callahan
5. Sherrick Mcmanis

Edge rusher is still thim but its going to be tough to fill all the holes with very little talent available.

Visionman

Liked Posts:
Lots of thought went into this one...good job. I think we definitely go after Fulton, but still think its Wilson at WR. Hope we can get Robinson as well.

If the draft goes like that at the top, I can definitely see us going for Ward. But not sure about another WR in the 2nd. We could probably get a better pass rusher there. You fixed the Wr position well enough for my liking in FA. Not perfect....but the need as OLB would be much greater at that point. I think talent would meet need in the 2nd.

alexbear1

Liked Posts:
Thanks PB.

Allen Robinson is the dream signing.

I'd rather take Albert Wilson over Taylor Gabriel. I'd be looking at filling out WR needs in the 2nd half of the draft after hopefully getting Robinson and Wilson in FA. Ideally [4] Keke Coutee and taking a risk in the [6] Antonio Callaway.

WR: Allen Robinson, Cameron Meredith, Albert Wilson, Keke Coutee, Antonio Callaway, Kevin White

I wouldn't take the risk on Trent Murphy and would address the OLB need more aggressively in FA and in the 2nd round of the draft. It's a massive need for the Bears.

FA: Aaron Lynch and Jeremiah Attaochu (or Denico Autry?) / Re-sign Lamarr Houston and Sam Acho / Draft: [2] Lorenzo Carter or whoever Pace thinks is BPA at the position.

OLB: Leonard Floyd, Aaron Lynch, Lorenzo Carter, Jeremiah Attaochu, Lamarr Houston, Sam Acho

I think you've done what you can with the OL. Geron Christian sounds and looks like an interesting project for our new OL coach and a decent get in the 4th round.

B J Hill (NT) in the 5th round to rotate a little with Goldman. He's got some hussle. Furthermore on the DL I'd like the Bears to consider Daquan Jones at DE in FA. The Bears would be signing a young player with decent upside approaching the prime of his career who could look very good opposite Hicks. I'm ready to move on from Unrein.

Cody Parkey is an RFA. At the moment we'll have to see how the Dolphins handle their cap situation. Otherwise yes I'd be in on him. However I also think Pace may run with Santos.

In the 1st round if I am going CB I am going with the upside of Joshua Jackson though preferably on a trade back of course. His length would better suit Fangio and the guy is a ball hawk. Having said that I wouldn't be surprised to see the Bears all in on Trumaine Johnson or Bashaud Breeland and that would be ideal as then the Bears could perhaps go after someone like Pierre Desir or T J Carrie as their No.3 CB. It would also leave Pace free to go after an upside player like Tremaine Edmunds or Marcus Davenport. I dont' see Edmunds as an OLB more as an off the ball blitzer from the ILB position. Having both him and Trevathan being able to do that would aid the pass rush some.

Alternatively if Pace doesn't see the value of an ILB at 8 which I could quite understand then given there will be no rushers worth taking at 8 and if he can't trade back then maybe he can sign Navarro Bowman in FA and take his preferred CB which is a premium position compared to ILB. I think that would work well.

[1] Tremaine Edmunds (ILB) [2] Lorenzo Carter (OLB) [4] Geron Christian (OT) [4] Keke Coutee (WR) [5] B J Hill (NT) [6] Antonio Callaway (WR) [7] Godwin Igwebuike (S)

This has to be the year of not fcuking around for Ryan Pace (who I genuinely rate as a GM). He will spend money and then it will just come down to whether or not players want to come to Chicago. Having Trubisky, Nagy and Fangio definitely puts us in a better position I think than last year.

PolarBear

Liked Posts:
Thanks PB.

Allen Robinson is the dream signing.

I'd rather take Albert Wilson over Taylor Gabriel. I'd be looking at filling out WR needs in the 2nd half of the draft after hopefully getting Robinson and Wilson in FA. Ideally [4] Keke Coutee and taking a risk in the [6] Antonio Callaway.

WR: Allen Robinson, Cameron Meredith, Albert Wilson, Keke Coutee, Antonio Callaway, Kevin White

I wouldn't take the risk on Trent Murphy and would address the OLB need more aggressively in FA and in the 2nd round of the draft. It's a massive need for the Bears.

FA: Aaron Lynch and Jeremiah Attaochu (or Denico Autry?) / Re-sign Lamarr Houston and Sam Acho / Draft: [2] Lorenzo Carter or whoever Pace thinks is BPA at the position.

OLB: Leonard Floyd, Aaron Lynch, Lorenzo Carter, Jeremiah Attaochu, Lamarr Houston, Sam Acho

I think you've done what you can with the OL. Geron Christian sounds and looks like an interesting project for our new OL coach and a decent get in the 4th round.

B J Hill (NT) in the 5th round to rotate a little with Goldman. He's got some hussle. Furthermore on the DL I'd like the Bears to consider Daquan Jones at DE in FA. The Bears would be signing a young player with decent upside approaching the prime of his career who could look very good opposite Hicks. I'm ready to move on from Unrein.

Cody Parkey is an RFA. At the moment we'll have to see how the Dolphins handle their cap situation. Otherwise yes I'd be in on him. However I also think Pace may run with Santos.

In the 1st round if I am going CB I am going with the upside of Joshua Jackson though preferably on a trade back of course. His length would better suit Fangio and the guy is a ball hawk. Having said that I wouldn't be surprised to see the Bears all in on Trumaine Johnson or Bashaud Breeland and that would be ideal as then the Bears could perhaps go after someone like Pierre Desir or T J Carrie as their No.3 CB. It would also leave Pace free to go after an upside player like Tremaine Edmunds or Marcus Davenport. I dont' see Edmunds as an OLB more as an off the ball blitzer from the ILB position. Having both him and Trevathan being able to do that would aid the pass rush some.

Alternatively if Pace doesn't see the value of an ILB at 8 which I could quite understand then given there will be no rushers worth taking at 8 and if he can't trade back then maybe he can sign Navarro Bowman in FA and take his preferred CB which is a premium position compared to ILB. I think that would work well.

[1] Tremaine Edmunds (ILB) [2] Lorenzo Carter (OLB) [4] Geron Christian (OT) [4] Keke Coutee (WR) [5] B J Hill (NT) [6] Antonio Callaway (WR) [7] Godwin Igwebuike (S)

This has to be the year of not fcuking around for Ryan Pace (who I genuinely rate as a GM). He will spend money and then it will just come down to whether or not players want to come to Chicago. Having Trubisky, Nagy and Fangio definitely puts us in a better position I think than last year.

Couple of things -

1. I do not understand this infatuation with Wilson. I literally have a faster, more productive player available that doesn't have the hype of Wilson because of a down year and people just want him because he and Nagy were together for those 500 yards he put up last year....

2. Josh Jackson at #8 needs to stop. He primarily played zone in college which allowed him to play off the ball and keep receivers in front of him, watch the QB and makes plays on the ball (which he was great at). The problem is, he doesn't turn and run very well, he is a little stiff and he had problems with faster receivers in college. That worries me. If he goes to a team that plays a lot of off-coverage and they don't ask him to play a lot of tight man to man or press coverage I can see him being really productive but that would make him a system guy...Not a player I want at #8.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
Polar it’s as good as any of the 10 million of these things that are done by a few posters. Their takes become meaningless because by the time they’re done, they’ve signed or drafted every damn player in the pool.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
Couple of things -

1. I do not understand this infatuation with Wilson. I literally have a faster, more productive player available that doesn't have the hype of Wilson because of a down year and people just want him because he and Nagy were together for those 500 yards he put up last year....

2. Josh Jackson at #8 needs to stop. He primarily played zone in college which allowed him to play off the ball and keep receivers in front of him, watch the QB and makes plays on the ball (which he was great at). The problem is, he doesn't turn and run very well, he is a little stiff and he had problems with faster receivers in college. That worries me. If he goes to a team that plays a lot of off-coverage and they don't ask him to play a lot of tight man to man or press coverage I can see him being really productive but that would make him a system guy...Not a player I want at #8.

You’re exactly right on Jackson. Great ball skills but he is way too raw for any top ten consideration. I think he is a free safety.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
I don't know about you but I am sick of watching the Bears trot out shitty kickers. I would rather pay the 4 million a year and get a good one.

Why wouldn't we just keep C.Santos who has been a good kicker for the Chiefs up until he got hurt?? Nagy is already familiar with him from KC.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Ward probably falls more under your "like to see happen" prediction, than a "most likely to see happen" one. Edmunds & Davenport would seem to be the two guys who best fit the profile for a Pace top ten pick, and who might still be available at #8. Nothing against a Ward (or Nelson...) pick, but Edmunds & Davenport appear to be the outrageous ceiling types that Pace prefers at that spot. Now, the Bears may well not actually rate either Edmunds or Davenport that highly, and end up going in another direction, like Ward. But absent any hard information on how the Bears really rate the top ten usual suspects, Edmunds or Davenport would seem to be the way to bet for their pick...

Trade down some in the 1st and get at the very least an extra 3rd rounder which we don;'t have now and draft H.Landry is what we should do.

Probie2429

Liked Posts:
I don't know about you but I am sick of watching the Bears trot out shitty kickers. I would rather pay the 4 million a year and get a good one.

Eagles had to go dumpster diving for a kicker in Week 2 and that same kicker sealed the deal in the Super Bowl. Bring in a few kickers for competition in camp, but I would stick with Santos for now.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Yeah Cam would stay. Wright would go.

Depth chart -
1. A-Rob
2. Cam Meredith
3. Deon Cain
4. Taylor Gabriel
5. Dontrelle Inman
6. Kevin White

So you're not on the A.Wilson will be a Bear train? Even though we're only hearing about him to Chicago from the media it still looks like it would be a good signing for us. There could be more untapped potential that we didn't see in KC cause they were more focused on T.Kelce, T.Hill and K.Hunt.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Grimes can still play. Guys are playing longer into their 30's. He certainly isn't a backup. Ward would play NB and take over from Grimes.

You have to fill your holes in FA and go BPA. That's what I have done here.

I like a lot of what you have for us but can't say i'm sold on Grimes at all. He does create some turnovers but the reason why is because he takes a lot of chances which means getting beat a lot as well. I think there's much better options in free agency and would even think about keeping M.Cooper over signing Grimes especially if we draft Ward at #8 who i absolutely love. Grimes has also been getting injured a lot more since hitting those 30's.

I think there's two positions that we don't talk about much that we need to get at least one guy for and that's someone who can backup E.Jackson at S which is why i was good if we kept Demps and ILBer to get a legit guy to play opposite D.Trevathon and to take over for Trevathon if he gets hurt. I'm a big fan of Kwiatkowski and like C.Jones as well but both are really good at stopping the run and tackling but not good in pass coverage and we don't even know if we'll re-sign C.Jones yet.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange

You’re exactly right on Jackson. Great ball skills but he is way too raw for any top ten consideration. I think he is a free safety.

I was a J.Jackson guy before the combine but he just couldn't get it right in the drills which means his football IQ might not be where it needs to be to play CB in the NFL. I'm a big D.Ward fan, I like Minkah but think he'd be better at S and really like Mike Hughes (UCF CB) and J.Alexander (Louisville CB) over J.Jackson now. I don't think Jackson will be a bust but just needs to land on the right team/defense.

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
You get points for not ignoring offense in the draft, pretending that rounds 5-7 wasn't ignoring it or because you did something in FA that it wasn't ignored.