Potential late round/FA pick ups for the Bears

theOHIOSTATE!

Liked Posts:
It isn't sexy and no one likes talking about it much right after the combine, but with the Bears changing defensive philosophies and lacking talent/youth/depth to a great degree overall, they are going to have to hit on some depth/ST players mid to later in the draft and possibly in FA if they can.

Who are some guys coming out this yr who won't be top round picks, but might be a good fit to make this squad and contribute to the roster and why?

Here are 4 to get us started:

Henry Anderson-Stanford

I wouldn't mind picking him up for value in later rounds if he drops into ~5th Rd. or thereabouts bc of a somewhat pedestrian workout. Great length (over 6"6), smart, better size overall than he showed previously, plays with effort and flashes some athleticism at times. We need 5 technique DE's desperately and even if he never starts-and he might not- Anderson can provide a body that can be in the rotation right away. Length to contribute in kick block teams.

Jordan Hicks-Texas

Good size/speed player who was a 5 star kid out of HS and played right away in an elite program. Gym rat, good football IQ, great passion for the game who puts time into preparation. Has very good agility/burst and tackles extremely well. Not a spectacular type, but more than a lunch pail guy bc of his excellent feet....seemed to flourish under new coaching; might have been held back a bit by previous coaching changes/woes and injuries at UT. Upside is there, and will contribute in Special teams.

Jake Ryan- UMich.

Interesting player I wouldn't touch till late late rounds, but worth watching. Very nice size/length for an ILB, better than expected speed and explosion. Was a speed player when he came in and splashed right away; got hurt/gained some weight and didn't finish his career strong coming off an injury, but I believe upside might be there IF he is 100% healthy....workout seemed to confirm his body is good. Can contribute to special teams right away.

Greg Mancz- Toledo

Smart, long, technical center who plays effectively and grades out well without wowing with power or athleticism. The right fit for a zone blocking scheme where feet and brains and desire can make up for size/power deficiencies. Has decent size/frame for a C and above average length, and he gets scheme blocking/combo blocking well. Can get to the 2nd level and capture backers. Definitely a "project" of sorts but might be worth a look as a very late round pick or FA.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
It isn't sexy and no one likes talking about it much right after the combine, but with the Bears changing defensive philosophies and lacking talent/youth/depth to a great degree overall, they are going to have to hit on some depth/ST players mid to later in the draft and possibly in FA if they can.

Who are some guys coming out this yr who won't be top round picks, but might be a good fit to make this squad and contribute to the roster and why?

Here are 4 to get us started:

Henry Anderson-Stanford

I wouldn't mind picking him up for value in later rounds if he drops into ~5th Rd. or thereabouts bc of a somewhat pedestrian workout. Great length (over 6"6), smart, better size overall than he showed previously, plays with effort and flashes some athleticism at times. We need 5 technique DE's desperately and even if he never starts-and he might not- Anderson can provide a body that can be in the rotation right away. Length to contribute in kick block teams.

Jordan Hicks-Texas

Good size/speed player who was a 5 star kid out of HS and played right away in an elite program. Gym rat, good football IQ, great passion for the game who puts time into preparation. Has very good agility/burst and tackles extremely well. Not a spectacular type, but more than a lunch pail guy bc of his excellent feet....seemed to flourish under new coaching; might have been held back a bit by previous coaching changes/woes and injuries at UT. Upside is there, and will contribute in Special teams.

Jake Ryan- UMich.

Interesting player I wouldn't touch till late late rounds, but worth watching. Very nice size/length for an ILB, better than expected speed and explosion. Was a speed player when he came in and splashed right away; got hurt/gained some weight and didn't finish his career strong coming off an injury, but I believe upside might be there IF he is 100% healthy....workout seemed to confirm his body is good. Can contribute to special teams right away.

Greg Mancz- Toledo

Smart, long, technical center who plays effectively and grades out well without wowing with power or athleticism. The right fit for a zone blocking scheme where feet and brains and desire can make up for size/power deficiencies. Has decent size/frame for a C and above average length, and he gets scheme blocking/combo blocking well. Can get to the 2nd level and capture backers. Definitely a "project" of sorts but might be worth a look as a very late round pick or FA.

So which site did you get these analysis of these players from?