Prospect Buzz

TheDane

Liked Posts:
Pretty much thats why they signed Crabtree. You WR fan boys just swear White and Cooper are valued as a top 5 pick in a very deep WR draft that doesnt have a huge drop off between #1 and #4. OAK needs a RB more then they need a WR so why not mock Gordon @4....They can use another edge rusher more then a WR also. Gordon aint going #4 but i was just using him as a example.

James Jones and Crabtree are still very young and are more helpful to a young QB then a rookie WR who will take a few years to develop. Raiders already have a few young receivers that are showing promise.

First of all, I'm not a WR-fanboy, or any other sort of fanboy for that matter. But I acknowledge Cooper and White's talent and potential, and they could definitely quickly turn in to the #1 WR that neither Crabtree, Jones, Streater or Holmes is.

Second of all, I'm not saying that they'd be dumb if they didn't pick a WR. I'm just saying that I don't think a signing of Crabtree rules out anything in the 1st for them. If Crabtree was a clear-cut #1 type with many highly productive seasons behind him and completely unaffected by injuries, I'd see where you're coming from. But he's not.

Also, James Jones is not "very" young. He's 31. And Crabtree looks older than what he is on the field due to several injuries. I hope he rebounds, though.

BearDen

High Ranking Member
Liked Posts:
First of all, I'm not a WR-fanboy, or any other sort of fanboy for that matter. But I acknowledge Cooper and White's talent and potential, and they could definitely quickly turn in to the #1 WR that neither Crabtree, Jones, Streater or Holmes is.

Second of all, I'm not saying that they'd be dumb if they didn't pick a WR. I'm just saying that I don't think a signing of Crabtree rules out anything in the 1st for them. If Crabtree was a clear-cut #1 type with many highly productive seasons behind him and completely unaffected by injuries, I'd see where you're coming from. But he's not.

Also, James Jones is not "very" young. He's 31. And Crabtree looks older than what he is on the field due to several injuries. I hope he rebounds, though.

He doesn't watch NFL football. He claims to watch college football, but I don't believe that.

BearDen

High Ranking Member
Liked Posts:
RisWell thinks we traded Marshall because of how amazing Wilson is. Enough said.

TheDane

Liked Posts:
RisWell thinks we traded Marshall because of how amazing Wilson is. Enough said.

It feels kind of weird saying this, but: I hope Riswell is right on this one, and Wilson turns into a monster. Highly unlikely, though.

BearDen

High Ranking Member
Liked Posts:
It feels kind of weird saying this, but: I hope Riswell is right on this one, and Wilson turns into a monster. Highly unlikely, though.

If anyone besides RisWell was saying this, I might have more confidence in the matter. He's under the impression that Wilson didn't play last year, so that shows how much he watches football.

RisWell

Liked Posts:

They can quickly turn into a #1 in OAK who has a second year QB, a terrible offensive line, no RB and no TE. Looks like they have better odds of being a bust in OAK then a #1

It makes even more sense now on why they signed Crabtree. Its hard to judge Crabtree right now coming from the 49 ers who wasnt really a efficient passing team.

No i was literally called dumb when i said they wont draft a WR @4

ZenBear34

Liked Posts:

well, yeah, who wouldn't want that to be the case?

i'm not personally convinced the bears need to spend the 7th pick on a receiver. do they need another receiver? yes. do they need a SECOND #1 receiver? no.

i guess a lot of it depends on jeffery and what the new staff thinks of him. if they think he's a legit #1 receiver and plan on giving him an extension, taking receiver early makes no sense. in a super deep class just go get a guy who can stretch the field. jeffery/speed receiver/royal is more then adequate for a team that wants to run the ball more.

there's this idea that, since the bears traded marshall, they have to get back to having two #1 receivers. seems unnecessary given the amount of needs the bears have.

again, that's based on the idea that jeffery is a go to #1 receiver. if the bears don't think that, then i get it. cooper or white at 7 or parker or perriman with a trade down and you let jeffery walk after the season.

i guess it's just because when i look at super bowl teams of recent(even just play-off teams), i don't see heavy investments in wide receivers. or even very many above average receivers when it comes down to it. i think receivers are easy to want and love because they make flashy plays but i contend that receiver is very low on the list of positions that actually contribute to being a successful NFL franchise.

Smokey Robinson

Liked Posts:

i'm not personally convinced the bears need to spend the 7th pick on a receiver. do they need another receiver? yes. do they need a SECOND #1 receiver? no.

i guess a lot of it depends on jeffery and what the new staff thinks of him. if they think he's a legit #1 receiver and plan on giving him an extension, taking receiver early makes no sense. in a super deep class just go get a guy who can stretch the field. jeffery/speed receiver/royal is more then adequate for a team that wants to run the ball more.

there's this idea that, since the bears traded marshall, they have to get back to having two #1 receivers. seems unnecessary given the amount of needs the bears have.

again, that's based on the idea that jeffery is a go to #1 receiver. if the bears don't think that, then i get it. cooper or white at 7 or parker or perriman with a trade down and you let jeffery walk after the season.

i guess it's just because when i look at super bowl teams of recent(even just play-off teams), i don't see heavy investments in wide receivers. or even very many above average receivers when it comes down to it. i think receivers are easy to want and love because they make flashy plays but i contend that receiver is very low on the list of positions that actually contribute to being a successful NFL franchise.

How I feel as well. There is no denying the talent of Cooper and White, Parker and many of the other projected first round WRs but with the depth at the position this year, and seemingly every recent year, I can't justify taking a WR at 7, especially with Alshon on the roster.

We need a complimentary WR to Alshon at this point and that can be found anywhere from rounds 2-4. There are far bigger areas of concern at this point including OLB, NT, CB, S, and RT.

BearDen

High Ranking Member
Liked Posts:

I would agree more with this if we had a better QB. I think Jay needs all the help he can get for us to really have any success.

Wild_x_Card

Liked Posts:
Raiders have bigger holes to fill then the receiver spot. You just paid Jones last year and brought in Crabtree this year. They have some young receivers that Carr built some chemistry with already. The WR class this year is very very deep.

So does is still sound very ridiculous to you or should i just base everything on mock drafts or articles i read from a scout.

Some advice from a veteran. These mock drafts miss on damn near all there picks every year and every team big board arent identical to McShay or Kipers.
It has nothing to do with mock drafts and everything to do with common sense.
There are only so many players in a given draft worthy of a top 5 selection. The Raidrers would be stupid to reach for a need at another position. They also need to start putting Quality blue chip talent around Carr.

Smokey Robinson

Liked Posts:
I would agree more with this if we had a better QB. I think Jay needs all the help he can get for us to really have any success.

To play Devil's advocate here I would say Jay had two #1 WRs, on top of a high-end TE and receiving back, the past two seasons yet put up his typical seasons. Would you rather stack the WR group again or build the D in an attempt to keep teams off the board?

As far as offensive investments are concerned I think RT and another RB would provide more bang for your buck if the Bears intend on going to a run heavy scheme and limiting the playbook for Cutler as Fox and Pace have suggested they will be doing.

pseudonym

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Why wouldn't we want a second #1 wr? Look at what Manning did with Harrison and Wayne. I think Cooper/White are the top tier of WRs, a nice step up from any of the other WRs.

BearDen

High Ranking Member
Liked Posts:
To play Devil's advocate here I would say Jay had two #1 WRs, on top of a high-end TE and receiving back, the past two seasons yet put up his typical seasons. Would you rather stack the WR group again or build the D in an attempt to keep teams off the board?

As far as offensive investments are concerned I think RT and another RB would provide more bang for your buck if the Bears intend on going to a run heavy scheme and limiting the playbook for Cutler as Fox and Pace have suggested they will be doing.

Valid point, he really needs help on both sides of the ball.

strobiwan

Liked Posts:
Why wouldn't we want a second #1 wr? Look at what Manning did with Harrison and Wayne. I think Cooper/White are the top tier of WRs, a nice step up from any of the other WRs.

UMMM we don't have Manning or anything close.

pseudonym

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
UMMM we don't have Manning or anything close.

That wr tandem would help ANY QB, Cutler for the next year or two, or a rookie in 2015/2016. It's not often we get a shot at such elite WRs.

TheDane

Liked Posts:
We need a complimentary WR to Alshon at this point and that can be found anywhere from rounds 2-4. There are far bigger areas of concern at this point including OLB, NT, CB, S, and RT.

I agree totally that WR is a need, and also that the WR-class is so deep, that it's not impossible to find a #2 in the 2nd round.

But depending on how the first 6 picks turn out, I'm afraid that the other positions of need don't represent much value for us at #7.

OLB: I'd be okay with picking Beasley at #7, but as it looks now, he may not be there. We could have a chance at Dupree, Ray and Gregory, but I dont rank any of them as top 10 picks currently for different reasons.
NT: I'd be okay with somehow ending up with Shelton, but not at #7. I just don't rank him this highly.
CB: None of this year's CB's are worthy of a top 10-selection IMO.
S: Neither are any of the S's.
RT: Scherff is a borderline top 10-pick IMO, and could be worthy of our 1st round pick, even though I'm a bit iffy about picking an O-lineman in the top 10, who doesn't have an obvious LT-skillset.

If the first 6 picks go somewhat as I expect (Winston, Mariota, Fowler, Beasley, Williams and Cooper/White), I still believe that WR represents the best value for us at #7. Especially if that WR is Cooper.

strobiwan

Liked Posts:
That wr tandem would help ANY QB, Cutler for the next year or two, or a rookie in 2015/2016. It's not often we get a shot at such elite WRs.

you do realize, we had BMarsh and Jeffrey and Cutler still sucked.........Right????

the likely hood of any WR, in this draft being half the WR BMarsh has been, is probably slim to none.
it could happen but highly unlikely.

Smokey Robinson

Liked Posts:
I agree totally that WR is a need, and also that the WR-class is so deep, that it's not impossible to find a #2 in the 2nd round.

But depending on how the first 6 picks turn out, I'm afraid that the other positions of need don't represent much value for us at #7.

OLB: I'd be okay with picking Beasley at #7, but as it looks now, he may not be there. We could have a chance at Dupree, Ray and Gregory, but I dont rank any of them as top 10 picks currently for different reasons.
NT: I'd be okay with somehow ending up with Shelton, but not at #7. I just don't rank him this highly.
CB: None of this year's CB's are worthy of a top 10-selection IMO.
S: Neither are any of the S's.
RT: Scherff is a borderline top 10-pick IMO, and could be worthy of our 1st round pick, even though I'm a bit iffy about picking an O-lineman in the top 10, who doesn't have an obvious LT-skillset.

If the first 6 picks go somewhat as I expect (Winston, Mariota, Fowler, Beasley, Williams and Cooper/White), I still believe that WR represents the best value for us at #7. Especially if that WR is Cooper.

Fair enough. You can definitely make the case for a WR at 7 as you have done but I disagree with your assessment on a few of the guys. Ray and Gregory would be phenomenal picks at 7 (provided Gregory checks out off-field in Pace's estimation). I also really like Shelton but with the way Fangio's units have excelled without an emphasis on the position I can see your point about not drafting him at 7.

I don't see a S or OT worthy of a top 10 pick and have my doubts about Waynes at 7 as far as CB is concerned but I do see the upside with him.

BearDen

High Ranking Member
Liked Posts:
you do realize, we had BMarsh and Jeffrey and Cutler still sucked.........Right????

the likely hood of any WR, in this draft being half the WR BMarsh has been, is probably slim to none.
it could happen but highly unlikely.

Jay won't be here forever, hopefully anyway. And Marshall was a diva and a headcase, always begging for more targets.